PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• Had my primark super cosy tights on for the first time today and they were certainly lovely and warm. Sad I only bought one pair now (didn't want to waste money on a few pairs if they ended up being rubbish) as I really don't want to have to make another trip to that awful place!

I have convinced my husband to let me put a curtain up on the front door. I think I can find a curtain cheap enough, but I was wondering how people have fixed theirs up? The door is recessed, so I'd be able to use a tension pole (like a shower curtain pole I was thinking) but I don't know if this is a good idea or not. What happens if someone opens the door while the curtain is drawn? Does it get pulled down or manage to slide open? Thanks

Had a clearout in the cars today and organised our winter car kits, getting the bits in the right places in the cars. Also took a trip to Aldi to look at the thermals they had in the sunday special but didn't love the feel of them much. Got a roll of insulating tape at Lidl which I've added to the downstairs toilet window and it feels much warmer in there already which I'm very pleased about.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    its started to snow here, sky looks white so i think we have it for a good while yet...havn't got to anywhere until morning so by then i hope the train tracks are cleared to Glasgow :snow_grin

we had what i call 'stealth snow' last night ie it falls when no one gets to enjoy watching it but it's snow nonetheless, enough to coat the rooftops and the road and cover the grass mostly. my daughter is so excited, but i hope this isn't just a tease like it was last year, she's desperate to go sledging :rotfl:
  • Morning Its still lying here,
    I think its to rain here later:j then head east for the day and north England...The one day i have to travel and this is what it does...already made my tea for tonight so just zap in microwave:j

Stay warm x
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, And Today is a Gift, That's Why it's Called The Present
    20p jar £1.20:j Mr M saver stamps £7.00 Mr Ice stamps £3.00
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    MrsCD wrote: »
    You can buy covers for your windscreen - it tucks in the doors before you lock them up, but that doesn't help the rest of the car :(
    I just have a cheap window scraper. I switch the engine on with the front and rear heaters and scrape the rest clear.
    NB - Never ever leave your car with the engine running even for a second! That's how long it takes for it to be stolen, and your insurance may not pay up :eek:

Exactly, turn on the engine and heaters, scrape the car. That's my tactic. I don't really like spraying weird chemicals around. There was a terrible story about 2 years ago about a woman who was run over by car thieves while she was scraping her windscreen though. Horrible!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ooh yes, this time of year opportunists are about just waiting for those folk who switch the car on and go back inside. It only takes a minute or two to scrape the windows. If you have a good depth of snow, i find a soft broom works wonders for sweeping it off the roof etc. helps avoid that nasty shock when you break, and all the snow on the roof slides down to obscure your vision :eek:
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've posted this little tip before for de-iceing the windscreen but it might be useful for someone...
    I stick one of those microwaveable wheatbags in the micro while I'm putting my boots, coat etc on. I then place it on the dashboard while I'm sorting out any scraping etc needed. When you get into the car the inside screen is warmed up and you've got a lovely cosy warmer to place in your lap while you're driving. Very handy if you're collecting someone late at night and have to sit and wait :)
    Can I also add a recommendation for those s/s insulated mugs? I've dug mine out of the back of the cupboard and find it marvellous for having a HOT cup of tea after I've sorted everyone else out with their meals. I hate lukewarm tea...
    It's also handy if like me, you get on here and forget that you had a cup of coffee made... ;)
    (Serves as a good handwarmer too)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    be careful when scraping snow off your car roof - OH did mine last year WITH A SNOW SHOVEL!! This has scratched the laquer which is now peeling. I could have killed him!
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Raksha wrote: »
    be careful when scraping snow off your car roof - OH did mine last year WITH A SNOW SHOVEL!! This has scratched the laquer which is now peeling. I could have killed him!

I use a flat fibre cloth mop to shift the snow.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can usually pick up those plastic sheets (normally silver) at places like Wilkinson. You could use an old towel or sheet as long as it fits across the windowscreen and can be shut into/tucked into each door to secure.
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    tori.k wrote: »
    Can i please pick your brains for the cheapest place for thick curtains ( chenille or velvet) I need a 90" x 90" drop so unlikely to find a pair second hand and the thermal linings i have on the patio doors really are not thick enough. im looking at 200+ to have them made and was hoping to be able to source some ready made for half that if I can, many thanks.

Tori keep an eye on Argos and tesco/asda direct they often have really good deals on these sizes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure