Rent Rise

My landlord has notified me that my rent is rising from £550 to £580 per month from December.I currently get £43 per week housing benefit as I am on low income.I have been told that I have to find the extra each month,that my HB will not rise.Is that correct? Thankyou

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Sounds about right, looks like you will either pay the extra or move somewhere cheaper.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You will either need to find the extra or find a cheaper place to live. Is the rent in line with the LHA rate for your area and for your circumstances? If you wanted to you can reject the increase in rent and allow the landlord to terminate the tenancy if they really want the increased rent with another tenant that's all they can do.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    You will either need to find the extra or find a cheaper place to live. Is the rent in line with the LHA rate for your area and for your circumstances? If you wanted to you can reject the increase in rent and allow the landlord to terminate the tenancy if they really want the increased rent with another tenant that's all they can do.

Another option would be to apply to your local authority to see if you are eligible for discretionary housing payments.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    jiminrio wrote: »
    My landlord has notified me that my rent is rising from £550 to £580 per month from December.I currently get £43 per week housing benefit as I am on low income.I have been told that I have to find the extra each month,that my HB will not rise.Is that correct? Thankyou

I think that the previous posters have covered it.
    It's likely that you will have to pay the extra or leave after finding somewhere cheaper.
    However, you should definitely check with the LA that the local housing allowance is not rising -just in case.
    Also it is worth asking the LA about a discretionary payment. Try reading this from Shelter to explain what a dhp is: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/discretionary_housing_payments
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • I don't think that the OP will get a discretionary payment for 90 pound a week, which is the shortfall, nor will the LHA rise that much, how many of you are living in the house, and how many bedrooms do you have?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure