PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic; Volume III

Comments

• Hi

I haven't really posted on here but am a long time lurker, reading through all of your threads has inspired me and I have taken the plunge and bought a tall boy to paint. It is dark varnished wood with wicker baskets and a small cupboard bit at the bottom. I would like to paint the wood a cream or off white colour and change the small door knob of the cupboard at the bottom with a small crystal cut one. I am unsure of what paint to use, having read through I can see that people seem to use a primer then chalk paint, or eggshell

I want it to be able to wipe down if it gets marks on it (I have a dog that just loves rubbing against furniture when he walks past it, v annoying)

Would eggshell be better to use, if so would I need to use a primer then eggshell then a varnish?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, im hoping that if I can do this I could go and and do some more things for the house

Thanks
    Sue
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi I would paint the wood with primer and eggshell or satinwood paint ( water based ) dries faster . Very durable and easy clean .
    I don't know if you are leaving the baskets natural but if you are planning to paint them use a satin spray primer and paint .
    If you don't have your knobs already Home Bargains ( if you have one in your area ) have different sizes very cheaply .
    Good luck
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi again just noticed the piece is varnished you will need to sand it to provide a key or use esp wiped over and wiped off . Preparation is the important part for a good result . If you use the primer and satinwood or eggshell you will not need to varnish .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Cacran
    Cacran Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have not been on this thread for ages. I thought I would take a peek at what is going on!
    I acquired a nest of tables. Darkish Oak finish.
    I made a start with the smallest one first. I usually make my own chalk paint with plaster of Paris. I my "wisdom" I decided to get calcium carbonate. I am not happy with it. It did not seem to disolve when mixed with the water. It went on really gritty and bubbly. I persevered, did two coats. It was pulling a brownish stain through, as though it was from the dark wood underneath. I did my next coat with plain matt emulsion, then another with the chalk paint. I finished up with Wilko matt varnish (two coats of it) That went very honey like. Really yellowish.
    I thought I should start over again but my daughter said it looked authentically old. Being a bit disgruntled, I decided to accept what she said.
    Does anyone else have the same problem with Calcium Carbonate and I have noticed a few posts mentioning the yellowing finish when using Wilko varnish?
    Keep on trucking!
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Can't comment with the calcium carbonate but I have never had a problem with wilko varnish. I always use it, in matt and it's never yelllowed anything, although I have always used a colour, never white so maybe that matters. I only ever put 2 very thin coats on.
  • Cacran
    Cacran Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    manda1205 wrote: »
    Can't comment with the calcium carbonate but I have never had a problem with wilko varnish. I always use it, in matt and it's never yelllowed anything, although I have always used a colour, never white so maybe that matters. I only ever put 2 very thin coats on.

It yellowed after the first coat. Yellowed even more after the second coat. The end result doesn't look too bad though, it is growing on me. Looks more cream than white.
    Keep on trucking!
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I use calcium carbonate but find it is best if left for a good few hours after mixing (cover with cling film). I use Briwax on top to seal it and it seems to keep its colour.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    I use Wilko Matt varnish and find it only yellows where it is thick, eg grooves on mouldings, or where it's dripped and I haven't noticed!
  • bluebellbunny
    bluebellbunny Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all, I haven't been on here for ages but am after a bit of advice if anyone knows...... I have bought a cheap white resin stags head that I would like to paint the race of (was thinking esp then emulsion) but would like to do glitter horns, do you think ordinary pva would stick well enough to the resin so stick on the glitter? Am planning to seal after, am also wondering if my matt varnish will dull the sparkle of the glitter or if I should get a gloss varnish? Thanks in advance oh wise ones! :wink:
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
    Weight : Start 09/01 @ 152lbs
    Jan -6lbs, Feb -0lbs, March -0lbs
    2012 - 6/26lbs
  • mandy-loo
    mandy-loo Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2016 at 4:00PM
    WAXED TO VARNISHED??

Hello all.
    A couple of years ago I chalk-painted a pine chest of drawers and waxed the top, without paint. It has now got water damage and cup rings (not by me!!!) and I think it would be better varnished. If i go over it with wire wool and meths, would that remove the wax residue and water marks? Or should I use sugar soap? Any advice gratefully received!

PS How do I add pics?? Tried clicking on the little icon that asks you to add URL of image - which I did -but just the URL appeared when I posted!
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport