Become a TV/film extra... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• does anyone have experience with extrasmodels.com in fulham? does anyone think it is worth trying to do the fotoshoots and the modelling course just for being a film extra? i really would love to be an extra but only for fun.

thanks
  • Hi,
    My husband was made redundant last year and has since signed on.
    He was offered some Xtra work but it very nearly messed up any benefits we were in receipt off (I am a stay at home mum). The work is sporadic and does not warrant him to sign off but tax is paid so I assume it has to be declared? The benefits office expected him to sign off and didn't seem to know what way to categorise this tye of work, there must be some clause for this type of work? I think sub-teachers have some system but not sure if it applies here? can anyone help?
    Thanks
  • misscb1
    misscb1 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Does anyone know of any extras organisation that I can sign up with in Scotland? I am central Scotland but for obvious reasons I don't want to be travelling down to London as it wouldn't be worth my while and I have always fancied dipping my toe in this kind of work.
  • churchrat
    churchrat Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    hi
    my oh and all of my children work (sporadically ) as :Dbackground artiests:D There are some great victorian buildings near us that you often see on tv, foyles war, documentaries and some films. My oh was in the one about william wilberforce "amazing grace" I think it was called. They get all the work thro the am dram groups they belong to. The groups get regular phone calls from the building owners and hardly any extras come from outside. We have asked a couple of our neices and nephews to work there as well, when the groups couldn't supply enough people.

As has been said, pay is usually poor, oh got about £100 for the film and was there for ages, in full makeup, custume etc and sat around doing nothing. Got very hot, although there was plenty of food!!

I think the best thing is to ask around your local am dram groups and see what is available. Its most definitly not regular work and will mess up any benefits you get. Most of the extrs we know either are retired or not on benefits at all. The timings are also important, for example, oh was once told it would be 2 days, but in the end was there for 4.

my kids think its great fun and do not do it for the money. I'm sure tho, that some people, once thier faces are known do it full time.
    LBM-2003ish
    Owed £61k and £60ish mortgage
    2010 owe £00.00 and £20K mortgage:D
    2011 £9000 mortgage
  • xanthe06
    xanthe06 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    is there an up to date list of companys who dont charge a fee to be on their books, thanks x
    Comp wins
    £25 worth of costume jewels and a plaq for mothers day
    debt £7374:eek::(
    loans/goods hp £5000
    total £10375 :(:(:(:(:(:(:(
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd love to do this...I have done 2 unpaid Extras so far:

The most recent Britain's Next Top Model advert
    AC/DC's new video

I'd love some paid stuff.

Which one? The ones with the girls in the masks? I worked on the actual show, so just curious lol.

I remember looking into doing Extras work whilst at uni, but couldn't find a good non upfront fee site based in the North West.

I'm surprised everyone's saying they only get £50! My friend was in No Angels and got £80 for the day. I guess it depends on how many extras there are. If there are over 100 chances are you'll just get expenses paid, over 30 probably about £50, under that probably a bit more. TV is a slow process and long days are expected, night shifts aren't uncommon either.

Being an extra may be something I could look into again, maybe gain me some more contacts for my career behind the camera lol. I doubt it, but would be good experience for getting on set of dramas (what I want to get into, behind the scenes)
  • Xorro
    Xorro Posts: 113 Forumite
    This isn't quite the right thread, but maybe one of you will know, are there any opportunities for doing voice-overs?
  • The book 'CONTACTS' has all the information- which I think is a good starting point.
  • i think i've heard about this film, is it filming in n. yorks ?
    i've been offered a extra role as well i e-mailed casting company and they sent me a reply telling me i had been accepted.
    waiting for a call to tell me where and when.
    maybe see you there !!
    i was hoping i would get paid though
  • extras were advertised for on my local JCP website.
    Job No:
    HWJ/12127

if anyones interested
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family