Going via cash back sites can cost you money!

Insurance companies and other suppliers are often charging a higher price if you go via a cash back sites such as Topcashback and Quidco.

The difference versus going direct or via a price comparison site can be greater the cash back on offer (which isn't guaranteed).

Should there be a warning on the cash back sites?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    And your evidence for this is?

As an aside, I would always check the price off the cashback site before deciding whether to use them or not. Buyer beware, and all that.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I thought this was common knowledge. Each time you use an affiliate link someone receives a commission payment, inevitably that cost is passed to the customer. There will be exceptions to the rule, but it's often cheaper to go direct and avoid the middle man.

Many people are not aware when they're using an affiliate link and will get caught out by a higher price. Links seem to be buried everywhere these days, including this site!
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I will always do a quote directly with the cheapest recommended on go compare etc, then do the quote via TCB etc, there is very little difference in the quotes.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I thought this was common knowledge. Each time you use an affiliate link someone receives a commission payment, inevitably that cost is passed to the customer. There will be exceptions to the rule, but it's often cheaper to go direct and avoid the middle man.

Many people are not aware when they're using an affiliate link and will get caught out by a higher price. Links seem to be buried everywhere these days, including this site!

Sounds right in theory

However, how does that explain a quote from the same broker and same underwriter via an affiliate link being cheaper than going direct, and same for the likes of compare the market, They obviously get a cut so why are they cheaper than going direct
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cash back sites, ????

Have to say I always check the price first and then check after. I always check a couple of other suppliers too. One insurance site offers cash back and discount codes.

If you use another supplier less cash back and discount codes it is still cheaper. Lots.

When will they learn, if you can give me insurance for £300 don't try and charge £340 then give me cash back and discounts !!!! mad really.

In fairness I bought some rugs from Laura Ashley recently, waited until the sale and then used a 10% code. W woo 60% off.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BJV wrote: »
    Cash back sites, ????

Have to say I always check the price first and then check after. I always check a couple of other suppliers too. One insurance site offers cash back and discount codes.

If you use another supplier less cash back and discount codes it is still cheaper. Lots.

When will they learn, if you can give me insurance for £300 don't try and charge £340 then give me cash back and discounts !!!! mad really.

In fairness I bought some rugs from Laura Ashley recently, waited until the sale and then used a 10% code. W woo 60% off.

They can only afford to give new customers good prices and deals on cashback sites because of the people who pay the higher prices to subsidise the ones who shop around.

If you got rid of all discounts and every insurer had to always give the lowest price they could then people who shopped around would be paying more and people who didn't would pay slightly less.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No warning is needed, its buyer beware.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I find that most times it works out cheaper going through cashback sites, not always, but most times for me.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    u660699 wrote: »
    Insurance companies and other suppliers are often charging a higher price if you go via a cash back sites such as Topcashback and Quidco.

The difference versus going direct or via a price comparison site can be greater the cash back on offer (which isn't guaranteed).

Should there be a warning on the cash back sites?

I definitely wouldn't rule it out.
    All a cash back site does is give you cash back .
    It doesn't promise to be the cheapest.
    That's for you to do all your homework first:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure