Smart Lights or Switch

Options

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Vampgirl wrote: »
    We have a similar quandry in our kitchen - we have a pendant light, 9 GU10s, and under-cupboard lights which are all controlled from a 3 gang switch. I want to replace them with smart bulbs and whilst Hue looks great, it'll cost a few hundred £s to do it all (and require totally replacing the under-cupboard lights as there isn't a suitable Hue bulb). I recently found this wifi light switch that looks like it could do the job. The reviews I've found so far are mixed - but seem to be mostly related to the fact that it needs a neutral wire in the switch (apparently not all switches have this) and that its difficult to fit all the wires into the back box. I'm still undecided but as I can use Alexa to integrate the different systems I think I might give it a go.

Again, LightwaveRF whilst not cheap, would work out much cheaper than replacing everything with Hue bulbs.

The only downside is that the LightwaveRF 3 gang switch requires a double backbox:
    https://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/lightwaverf/store/home-automation-lighting/jsjslw430wh-lightwaverf-3-gang-light-dimmer-switch-in-white

It would also require, as mentioned above, each of the bulbs to be trailing-edge dimmable.

Once you've got one of those switches though (they work just like a normal switch) you can pair it with any number of remotes - handheld ones, wall switches, mood switches, PIRs etc.
  • bm147
    bm147 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Vampgirl wrote: »
    We have a similar quandry in our kitchen - we have a pendant light, 9 GU10s, and under-cupboard lights which are all controlled from a 3 gang switch. I want to replace them with smart bulbs and whilst Hue looks great, it'll cost a few hundred £s to do it all (and require totally replacing the under-cupboard lights as there isn't a suitable Hue bulb). I recently found that looks like it could do the job. The reviews I've found so far are mixed - but seem to be mostly related to the fact that it needs a neutral wire in the switch (apparently not all switches have this) and that its difficult to fit all the wires into the back box. I'm still undecided but as I can use Alexa to integrate the different systems I think I might give it a go.

Starting to sound like a Philips Hue rep now, but... Philips Hue have an LED Strip range, which has a transformer, would be great for under cupboard lighting, and can even be controlled to change to whatever colour you like..
  • Vampgirl
    Vampgirl Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Again, LightwaveRF whilst not cheap, would work out much cheaper than replacing everything with Hue bulbs.

The only downside is that the LightwaveRF 3 gang switch requires a double backbox:
    https://www.thesmartshop.co.uk/lightwaverf/store/home-automation-lighting/jsjslw430wh-lightwaverf-3-gang-light-dimmer-switch-in-white

It would also require, as mentioned above, each of the bulbs to be trailing-edge dimmable.

Once you've got one of those switches though (they work just like a normal switch) you can pair it with any number of remotes - handheld ones, wall switches, mood switches, PIRs etc.
    Interesting, thanks - I wasn't aware of that system. It doesn't look like it'll work for me though: not all of my current lights are dimmable (I can't find any GX53s on their LED compatibility chart at all) so I'd need to go the switch + relay route, and it looks like they only do a 3 gang in the dimmer, not in the wire-free switch version.

I've already discounted Hue (due to the cost), so I'll keep looking into the wifiplug glass+ option for now.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Yes, I think they only do one and two gang wireless switches, so you'd need a 2 and a 1 gang combined.
  • Vampgirl
    Vampgirl Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bm147 wrote: »
    Starting to sound like a Philips Hue rep now, but... Philips Hue have an LED Strip range, which has a transformer, would be great for under cupboard lighting, and can even be controlled to change to whatever colour you like..
    I like the Hue system but as I said, its the cost that's holding me back - it'd be the best part of £400 (and a lot of fiddling around replacing the under-cupboard lights) and I just can't justify that kind of expenditure on something that is basically for convenience :(
  • lky2k23
    lky2k23 Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need pi 3 and the device you sent above?
    Watched a few videos on youtube but worried it's coding which I know <b>nothing<b>
    What do you want to know? Ask away...
    Just have a little faith
  • lky2k23
    Options
    I spoke to lightwaverf and they said i need.

LightwaveRF JSJSLW930 Smartphone Wi-Fi Web Link - White
    2 GANG WIRE-FREE SWITCH STAINLESS STEEL JSJSLW221SS
    2 of LightwaveRF Wireless Control Inline Relay Switch

Here's hoping they're right.
    Just have a little faith
  • lky2k23
    Options
    LightwaveRF in. Flash. Flash. Flash. My gu10s are not compatible. Ah
    Just have a little faith
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    lky2k23 wrote: »
    LightwaveRF in. Flash. Flash. Flash. My gu10s are not compatible. Ah

Are they mains voltage? If so, there's loads of compatible bulbs.

Edit: if you're using the inline relay (the non dimming one) then there shouldn't be any compatibility issues - it's just a switch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure