Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Staging Date 1st April 2017

My boss has received a letter saying his staging date is 1st April 2017 (I am his only employee, paid through PAYE).

He already contributed into a private pension I set up a few years ago as his payroll told him that would the simplest thing to do.

Will he still have to set up a workplace pension scheme even though he already pays into my private pension or just notify The Pensions Regulator?

I have a monthly direct debit (over what the minimum I have to pay) going into the pension, but my boss pays the 1% that he would have to pay under the new rules.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• Tcquins
    Tcquins Posts: 65 Forumite
    Hi Polly,

if the private pension you have set up already doesn't qualify as a QWPS (a qualifying workplace pension scheme), and i suspect it doesnt as it sounds like a SIPP, then there's a couple of options to consider.

He could set up NEST, which is free, then you could simply opt-out of it, and then he could continue contributing to your private pension. Its a bit of a faff- he has to complete the declaration of compliance etc.

You should also bear in mind that he's obligated under auto-enrolment rules to increase the employer contribution to the levels set by the government, but not if you opt out; then its dictated by your contract.

Or he could contribute to both schemes or just the NEST scheme if you remained in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure