Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy

Comments

• I've just switched today from Scottish Power, despite their trying to tempt me to stay with a £30 sweetener! I liked the look of the 2-year fix Green Star were offering, and will post further progress on this thread.
  • craggs
    craggs Posts: 256
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sstripey wrote: »
    I've just switched today from Scottish Power, despite their trying to tempt me to stay with a £30 sweetener! I liked the look of the 2-year fix Green Star were offering, and will post further progress on this thread.

I am now tied between EDF blue,and the 24 month fixed form Green star. they are both roughly the same EDF £106 saving with £30 cashback and GS is £136 saving no cashback.so even.

It's the managing of the account I'm interested in,I actually like how easy it is to input meter readings into scottish-power.Though they do seem to be a bit greedy with putting the DD up.Also I cannot find much about green stars customer service compared with loads of feedback with EDF.

Have you had time to check the online account management on greenstar? as you will have an idea if its just as easy as SP.
    Dony worry,be happy...
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 December 2013 at 6:15PM
    I've just been looking at Green Star (formerly Pioneer) Energy tariffs and have discovered a possible problem when it comes to transferring supplies from their dual fuel contracts

From their Ts&Cs :-
    22. Transferring to a new supplier. (a) If you want to transfer to a new supplier, we can only prevent the transfer if: (i) you tell us that you have not entered into a contract with another supplier and you want us to prevent the transfer; (ii) you owe us money; (iii) your proposed new supplier agrees that the transfer was a mistake; or (iv) your proposed new supplier does not apply to transfer all the related meters at the property on the same day. (b)We will take all reasonable steps to send you your final bill within six weeks of the transfer to your new supplier being completed. (c) There is no administrative charge for transferring to a new supplier, and we will do everything reasonably possible to help with the transfer. You may have to pay a termination fee if it applies to your agreement and/or tariff.
    One often hears of suppliers transferring gas and electricity supplies on different dates so be warned.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • rdtrdt
    rdtrdt Posts: 68 Forumite
    From their Ts&Cs :-
    One often hears of suppliers transferring gas and electricity supplies on different dates so be warned.

I suspect you may have the wrong end of the stick, caused in part by sloppy T&Cs wording.

The section you've highlighted looks suspiciously similar to a clause EDF has in its Industrial & Commercial Business T&Cs:

http://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/large-business/PDF/EDFE-STANDARD-TCS-DEC-2011.pdf
    18.1.2 the New Supplier’s application only relates to one of the Supply Point(s) at a Site
    and the New Supplier has not applied to Register all other Supply Points(s) for the
    Site on the same date for the same start date;

As such, I suspect that Green Energy are trying to cover a similar situation, ie. multiple gas meters (or multiple electricity meters) at a single site, and are not trying it on through tricksy contractual hoops to cling on to customers attempting to leave them.

It comes down to the definition of "Related Meters", which I suggest must mean meters for the same fuel-type, not meters for different fuel types at the same premises. They could have been clearer, but I suspect a phone call to them would confirm my interpretation.

NB, Even if I was wrong (which I don't think I am!), and your interpretation was the right one, I'm confident that it would amount to an unfair contract term and be unenforceable anyway.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I must confess I was mulling over the meaning of "related meters" and your alternative interpretation seems more likely. I certainly hope so.

Thanks for your input.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • My current fixed rate scheme ends in March 2014 and I'm interested in Green Star. My main concern is that it's a new company and is therefore unproven in the long term.

I remember how optimistic many were over First Utility when it was the new kid on the block, but it turned out to be an utter shambles. Does anyone have any updates on Green Star?
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    TonyLondon wrote: »
    My current fixed rate scheme ends in March 2014 and I'm interested in Green Star. My main concern is that it's a new company and is therefore unproven in the long term.

I remember how optimistic many were over First Utility when it was the new kid on the block, but it turned out to be an utter shambles. Does anyone have any updates on Green Star?

I think we're on the same tariff, and agree, Green Star look good but it's a worry that there's so little feedback. Further info would be nice!
  • Aren't they the UK arm of a decent-sized North American G&E supplier?
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    I googled and found that they're the UK arm of Just Energy Group, but that still doesn't help with the decision.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,702
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Any more feedback from those who have switched, their prices look good and only a small amount dearer for the 2 year than NPower's 1 year fix, a route I certainly do not fancy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback