Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• Is there a time limit to start a claim under Section 75?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ANNELIESE wrote: »
    hI,

I READ ARTICLE WHICH STATES YOU ARE NOT COVERED BY SECT 75 OF CONSUMER CREDIT ACT IF YOU PAY FOR PRODUCT VIA THIRD PARTY IE PAYPAL. I HAVE CONTACTED NATIONWIDE CREDIT CARD AND THEY STATE I AM COVERED.

Agency payments are exempt, so paying through paypal is generally seen to be exempt. Do remember callcentre operators tend not to be briefed on the minutae of section 75 (if they've even heard of it)

If Nationwide are saying this, and its a big purchase, ask for it in writing, or record the phone call (letting them know you are doing so) as otherwise I wouldn't rely on it too heavily.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • flyaway
    flyaway Posts: 96 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Agency payments are exempt, so paying through paypal is generally seen to be exempt. Do remember callcentre operators tend not to be briefed on the minutae of section 75 (if they've even heard of it)

If Nationwide are saying this, and its a big purchase, ask for it in writing, or record the phone call (letting them know you are doing so) as otherwise I wouldn't rely on it too heavily.

What's the best way to pay a travel agent for a holiday if they are "Retail Agents for ATOL holders"?
  • Under Section 75 of Consumer Credit Act it says that the Credit Card company have joint liability for claims over £100 and under £30,000. If an item is over £30,000 is it not possible to claim or is that a maximum one can claim?
  • MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread is to suggest new questions for the Is It Safe To Buy article.

Click reply to discuss.
    I bought a cooker on the inter net and paid for it with my credit card. When it arrived our electrician said our cabling wasn't sufficient for the supply and so we arranged to have it collected - for which I had to pay a collection fee of £35.00. The cooker company said they would re-credit my card with the £686.00 I paid for the cooker but didn't. Since then they have gone into liquidation. My credit card company says that because
    the cooker wasn't faulty I am not entitled to my money back. Is that true?
  • Hi,

I have heard that when purchasing a house, if you pay for the deposit on a credit card and the sale does not complete for whichever reason then you can claim the deposit money back from the credit card company.

Can you confirm if this is the case?

Thanks

Sonya
  • Hello!

Is there a time limit on these things for a section 75 claim to be valid?

Thanks
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sonya99 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have heard that when purchasing a house, if you pay for the deposit on a credit card and the sale does not complete for whichever reason then you can claim the deposit money back from the credit card company.

Can you confirm if this is the case?

Thanks

Sonya

No, as the price of goods/service has to be between £100-30000 for Section 75 to be invoked, not many houses under £30000
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hello!

Is there a time limit on these things for a section 75 claim to be valid?

Thanks

Section 75 will be valid for as long as the retailer is liable, under SoGA, for example, this can be for up to 6 years
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    derrick wrote: »
    this can be for up to 6 years

Possibly, may be, could be, you have to prove it first, faint chance, might be !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure