Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Options

Comments

• la-loba
    Options
    My Issue with the extra energy company that's put me off switching ever again and Im sure I can't be the only one this happens to instead of saving it's really costing more than if I stayed with my previous supplier and needs identifying. (I'm not alone google this company)
    Feb 17 I switched from extra energy to Arvo I was asked to send final meter reading which I did 10/02/17 then went on holiday.

Stage 1) My first final bill (Feb) from extra energy was that I owed them £38 based on not my readings but over estimated readings amounting to 3 weeks of energy I'd not even used and was already with another company..!

2) I raised a dispute and it was accepted and new final bill generated (march 17) this second final bill sent in writing using the accurate final readings stated they now owed me £69.!And this would be reimbursed into my account by April 9th.

3) With absolutely zero correspondence from extra energy to state any changed to the above promised refund I was credited just £31 to my account on 10th April 17 (must be final bill number 3 that I've not seen)!

4) On noting this amount in my account I rang extra energy on the 13th April 17 (no contact from them before this date) I rang to ask what had happened to the full refund of £69 that I was advised in writing to expect, instead extra energy then inform me that another error has been made on my account and after checking over the full year on the day I rang 13/04/17 !! something they had not done at either stage 1 or 2 just or when a partial refund was given just 3 days previous (I've provided meter readings monthly and promptly throughout my time with extra energy and they've sent their own staff to read the meter) but I'm now informed that I owe them £156..!I will reiterate, that this 4th final bill was generated on the 13/04/17 after I rung to complain that I seemed to be missing half my refund and two months after I actually left them..I've complained to extra energy and hit a brick wall with them. Many many people are having issues with this company and from my experience I feel their own billing department is working within its own parameters that can't be validated accurately and a risk for all customers.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Put in my daughter's readings on 30th, bill produced today in line with their new 3 month billing cycle and DD reduced.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    My deal with GB energy is coming to an end, so looking around. I'm appalled to find Extraenergy has the best deal ! Left them before, paying a cancellation fee, because they were rubbish at sending bills and had non-existent customer service... However price is everything, are they any better ? One benefit of the latest tariff is there isn't a cancellation fee, so guess i can always switch again if they're still useless....
  • takke
    takke Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a bill with an unexplained increase in the Standing Charge from October 2016, despite me being on a fixed rate tariff. An email back from them just had a generic response about supplying meter readings every month to avoid estimated bills. This was the first bill that they had managed to produce since I moved in last August due to 'errors on the system'. It's really frustrating not to be able to get an accurate bill...but I guess they are cheap so maybe it's worth it...
  • Ashmaniac
    Ashmaniac Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Ashmaniac wrote: »
    I agree, cancel the DD straight away, I worked out I should have only owed them no more than around £100 - £150 but they tried, and failed, to collect over £700. I have still not heard back from them after my previous post either.

Credit Style Limited, who are the debt collection arm that EE uses, sent a letter to get us to pay this ridiculous amount which was apparently built up over just 2 months. So I rang them but they wouldn't talk to me as it is my partner who is named on the bills. I asked them when they were open as my partner has to leave for work at 7am and doesn't get home until just before 9pm and they said they close at 8pm. I asked if she could call on a weekend but they don't open on weekends. So I said I would get her to e-mail them when she got home then and they said that was ok. So she e-mailed them from the address that was registered with EE explaining that a complaint has been logged and she is awaiting a respone from them before taking it up with the Ombudsman if a resolution cannot be found, and she has still yet to receive an e-mail response from them.

Yesterday we received another letter from them saying as we haven't contacted them, pure lies and I have the e-mail to prove it, they are now looking at taking legal action to recover the oversized debt. Seems these guys practise the same 'Ignore them and they'll go away' attitude of EE. So she is going to send another e-mail today to find out what on earth they are playing at spouting lies and threatening us. I will update you when I have more.

Does anybody know if this is legal for them to be doing this?

PS, I have pictures of old actual reads and texts between me and my landlord with actual reads in them with a date and time, as my electric meter is in a shop downstairs which was empty and I had no access to it, so I will get those saved on my PC too. Can't have too much evidence can you.

UPDATE: Finally received a response from Credit Style to the 2nd e-mail asking for meter reads so they could log the dispute.

I'm back again with an update on my situation with Extra Energy. I reported them to the Ombudsman and they looked into this dispute for me.

Let's start with the good.

They ruled Extra Energy shouldn't have charged me any exit fees and told them to remove £50 from my bill. Then they were told to offer a gesture of goodwill seeing as how they completely ignored my attempts at communication with them. They said £30 should, cover it. Ombudsman said nah, we think it should be £60. So they were ordered to reduce my final bill by £110. Bringing it down to around £600. They were also told to send a letter of apology for messing us about. Finally they told them to offer me a payment plan for the remaining debt.

That was a short section on the good, now for the bad. This is going to be a little longer than that paragraph up there.

I'll start with what I did wrong. I didn't keep records, like pictures, of my meter reads and the only communication I had with them was by telephone. This meant no records of those conversations either, and I doubt Extra Energy were in a hurry to cough up their recordings.

A quick word to the wise here and please learn from my mistakes, keep photos and any other evidence you have as IT WILL be needed to prove your case. Also I would say to only contact them, if possible, by writing. Then you have proof of times and reads sent in to provide to the Ombudsman in case of a dispute.

So this meant the Ombudsman couldn't prove that Extra Energy were massively under billing me (Due to lack of 'proof' of meter reads). They also couldn't prove I had requested a statement back in October 2015 when I called them, which Extra Energy failed to provide.

So I accepted my fate and waited for a letter from Extra Energy and and offer of a payment plan. They ruled in January and I am still waiting for the letter today.

Now we have started receiving text from another debt collection agency who have been instructed to recover a debt, then we received a letter from them saying they wanted £570 and were working on behalf of Extra Energy. The firm is CRS. I was quite shocked but I rang them to discuss this. The operator told me that the debt was now pending and I couldn't pay even if I wanted to. They said it was because Extra Energy were doing something with it. They said they might be back in touch when they'd finished.

The next day we started getting bombarded by texts again and then last week we received a letter from CRS asking now for £340 and the letter states that Extra Energy had already tried to recover the debt but their attempts have been unsuccessful. Who would have thought that not attempting to contact somebody would be unsuccessful. :mad: I know they have my address so it shouldn't be too hard, should it?

I called CRS again and the operator said that this was actually 2 debts that were in arrears, the one in the letter for £340 and another one for £250, totalling £590. I asked her to clarify why it was 2 debts but she said she didn't know and all she had was those 2 amounts and I would have to call Extra Energy to discuss this with them. I'm never speaking to Extra Energy on the phone again so that's a no go.

This is where I am up to today and I can't believe they have the nerve to just blank me again and pass the debt straight to CRS. I'm willing to pay, provided they meet the guidelines set by the Ombudsman, so there is no need to treat me like this. I'm thinking of going back to the Ombudsman about this, does anybody think they will be able/willing to do anything about this?

PS. I know this is a bit long winded but I want to make sure that every detail of my ongoing ordeal is covered in case any of you ever have to go through this nightmare with your energy supplier.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ashmaniac wrote: »
    I'm back again with an update on my situation with Extra Energy. I reported them to the Ombudsman and they looked into this dispute for me.

Let's start with the good.

They ruled Extra Energy shouldn't have charged me any exit fees and told them to remove £50 from my bill. Then they were told to offer a gesture of goodwill seeing as how they completely ignored my attempts at communication with them. They said £30 should, cover it. Ombudsman said nah, we think it should be £60. So they were ordered to reduce my final bill by £110. Bringing it down to around £600. They were also told to send a letter of apology for messing us about. Finally they told them to offer me a payment plan for the remaining debt.

That was a short section on the good, now for the bad. This is going to be a little longer than that paragraph up there.

I'll start with what I did wrong. I didn't keep records, like pictures, of my meter reads and the only communication I had with them was by telephone. This meant no records of those conversations either, and I doubt Extra Energy were in a hurry to cough up their recordings.

A quick word to the wise here and please learn from my mistakes, keep photos and any other evidence you have as IT WILL be needed to prove your case. Also I would say to only contact them, if possible, by writing. Then you have proof of times and reads sent in to provide to the Ombudsman in case of a dispute.

So this meant the Ombudsman couldn't prove that Extra Energy were massively under billing me (Due to lack of 'proof' of meter reads). They also couldn't prove I had requested a statement back in October 2015 when I called them, which Extra Energy failed to provide.

So I accepted my fate and waited for a letter from Extra Energy and and offer of a payment plan. They ruled in January and I am still waiting for the letter today.

Now we have started receiving text from another debt collection agency who have been instructed to recover a debt, then we received a letter from them saying they wanted £570 and were working on behalf of Extra Energy. The firm is CRS. I was quite shocked but I rang them to discuss this. The operator told me that the debt was now pending and I couldn't pay even if I wanted to. They said it was because Extra Energy were doing something with it. They said they might be back in touch when they'd finished.

The next day we started getting bombarded by texts again and then last week we received a letter from CRS asking now for £340 and the letter states that Extra Energy had already tried to recover the debt but their attempts have been unsuccessful. Who would have thought that not attempting to contact somebody would be unsuccessful. :mad: I know they have my address so it shouldn't be too hard, should it?

I called CRS again and the operator said that this was actually 2 debts that were in arrears, the one in the letter for £340 and another one for £250, totalling £590. I asked her to clarify why it was 2 debts but she said she didn't know and all she had was those 2 amounts and I would have to call Extra Energy to discuss this with them. I'm never speaking to Extra Energy on the phone again so that's a no go.

This is where I am up to today and I can't believe they have the nerve to just blank me again and pass the debt straight to CRS. I'm willing to pay, provided they meet the guidelines set by the Ombudsman, so there is no need to treat me like this. I'm thinking of going back to the Ombudsman about this, does anybody think they will be able/willing to do anything about this?

PS. I know this is a bit long winded but I want to make sure that every detail of my ongoing ordeal is covered in case any of you ever have to go through this nightmare with your energy supplier.

Sorry, but your problem is accepting this unacceptable (imho) resolution of the ombudsman service.

Presumably EE offered a payment pan - maybe payment in fuill within 24 hours? :cool:
    As you have failed to abide by the payment plan offered, the debt collectors will pursue you.
    You cannot go back to the ombudsman as you have agreed a full and final settlement
    (you can only go back if the supplier fails to act in accordance with that resolution, and the ombudsman will assit you in getting what was agreed by you)

So if you really don't have an apology which was ordered, then the ombudsman service will chace this up - but I can only say what happened in my case and EE sent such apology almost immediately it was ordered by email. Maybe check your spam filter? :)

You say you have no intention with contacting EE again and indeed there is no need for you to do so (other than pay what you owe), not over this complaint at least. You agreed full and final settlement and the ombudsman will assist you getting what was agreed if necessary.
    Simnilarly, now you have gone to the ombudsman service over this matter, the supplier is no longer obligated to deal directly with you about it other than as ordered (i.e to provide you a payment plan and send you an apology)
  • Ashmaniac
    Ashmaniac Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    So if you really don't have an apology which was ordered, then the ombudsman service will chase this up - but I can only say what happened in my case and EE sent such apology almost immediately it was ordered by email. Maybe check your spam filter? :)

I have any e-mails from Extra Energy filtered to a separate folder so no, definitely no correspondence from them whatsoever. I also specified with the Ombudsman that I could only afford £40 per month and this was supposed to be passed on to Extra Energy.

Thanks for the advice though. I will be contacting the Ombudsman again to get them to hold Extra Energy to their end of the agreement. I will also post a (hopefully) final update on this matter.

Just to add though, in case anybody is reading this as they are looking for a new supplier, I have been with Flow for nearly a year now and everything has been fine. They accept my readings, they e-mail straight back when I contact them, and they are very helpful.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After 3 years since leaving EE and about 7 final bills and threats from their debt collecting agency I have now received my final bill and definitely shows a balance of zero. Its been a long time to resolve but thanks to a guy in EE he sorted everything out for me. I would like to name him but I feel this is unfair on him and I do not want to embarrass him. However he is my HERO!
  • Phaeton
    Phaeton Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I joined EE in October 2014 on a 12 month Fixed term, my fault I didn't make a calendar reminder, come November 2015 without any notification they moved me to their standard variable tariff, they claim they emailed me, I got all other emails but no that one. I was aggrieved so left them at the end of January 2016 & provided them a final meter reading, I had also provided them meter readings each month whilst being with them in response to their emails.

April 2017 I received a bill stating I owed them £195, many arguments later including where they claimed they were not bound by the 2009?? Energy Commision policy of having to produce the final bill within 12 months, also refusing to provide a letter of deadlock, I have finally received an email stating that the final bill has been withdrawn & I owe them nothing.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=_I_have_finally_received_an_email_stating_that_the_final_bill_has_been_withdrawn_&_I_owe_them_nothing.[/QUOTE]

And so did I many times but the saga went on and on. However three years later the matter was finally resolved. NIGHTMARE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure