My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

Options

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    I agree that she needs to do her research. A lot of the problems that she thinks are unique to HA are just the same in the private sector (frequent inspections, having trouble getting through to the letting agency etc.)

I've been saying this back many pages ago. The OP has absolutely no idea of the reality of private lettings and no understanding of the effect that the possibility of having to move every 6/12 months could have on her mental health.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    What your solicitor has said is essentially the advice given here. You really should take it. The other crucial thing is to get some urgent medical help as has been already advised. Have you done so? The solution really is in your own hands but you have to help yourself. Go and see a GP as soon as possible.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been saying this back many pages ago. The OP has absolutely no idea of the reality of private lettings and no understanding of the effect that the possibility of having to move every 6/12 months could have on her mental health.
    Look,first I have to get my inheritance before I can think about that or do anything.
    The way it looks at the moment, I will be lucky to get my money at all, let alone move to Liverpool.

If I don't get my inheritance it won't happen because I will be stuck on benefits forever.

My biggest problem is getting my money which is now going to be a problem.

Unless my sister recovers enough to go to the bank with my other sister, it looks like I am going to have to fight to get my inheritance.

What your solicitor has said is essentially the advice given here. You really should take it. The other crucial thing is to get some urgent medical help as has been already advised. Have you done so? The solution really is in your own hands but you have to help yourself. Go and see a GP as soon as possible.
    Yes I have to find a GP whether I like it or not.
    Because say the DWP write to me to review my benefits or ask for certificates which they can do-Then I will need a GP for that.
    But that's the only reason I looking for one.
    If I was not on benefits I would not bother.

If I talk to a GP about this I don't think they would be very interested.
    A lot of them only give you short appointments and don't have time to really talk to you like a CMHT Keyworker or Psychiatrist does.

Now about this problem.
    I cannot get my inheritance because of some Red Tape Barclays Bank.
    The manager of Barclays Bank told me my well sister must get power of attorney by going to a Solicitor and going to court to gain sole control of the account.

But my Solicitor said that Barclays Bank have told me wrong and my sister must go to the Court Of Protection.
    And my solicitor said Power of Attorney from whom?
    What did he mean by that?

BTW I did not even know what Power Of Attorney was until the Bank manager explained it to me.
    So I certainly don't understand what my Solicitor was trying to tell me on the phone today.
    What?

Could some one explain?

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ann - you do not not know for certain that your sisters have had ALL their money. What you DO know is your well sister spend some of her money on a deposit for a flat. It does not mean she has received ALL of it, I believe it is allowed for beneficiaries to take whats called an interim payment if they need it (which your sister did as she had to move out of the house that was being sold). So whilst you know she received enough money for a deposit (which would come from her share only) you do not know she has received it ALL.

If your solicitor is writing to her this will hopefully clear up who has received what and how much. Like others I don't think it is best to involve solicitors normally due to the cost but if it puts your mind at ease maybe it is better for you to take this route - your heath has to come first however much it costs.
  • Anthear
    Anthear Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sure there are people out there who can explain this in much more detail but as I understand it - Barclays CANNOT release the money because the account requires the signature of both your sisters.

Your unwell sister lacks mental capacity at the moment. Therefore, an application to the Court of Protection is necessary (https://www.leighday.co.uk/FAQs/The-Court-of-Protection-and-the-Office-of-the-Publ) This is to make sure that you and your sister are not taking advantage of the sister who is unwell. Sadly, there are people out there who take advantage of people who are mentally unwell and this process makes sure this doesn't happen.

I don't know all the details, but the Court needs to look at the details of your application and decide whether to give the sister who is well, the legal right to make decisions on behalf of the sister who is unwell. A bit like if you have an elderly relative who has dementia and can't make decisions about their money etc, someone has to make those decisions. The Court makes sure this is done in a way that doesn't disadvantage the person who is ill.

I hope I have that correct, no doubt others can make corrections where necessary. But without this documentation, if your unwell sister remains ill for some time, you won't get the money. ...
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 October 2016 at 6:43PM
    Options
    I think it is very important to remember your sister has only just gone into hospital. Must people will recover in a short while, it is far too early to be considering going to court at this stage, the courts would not be interested, you sister will have had to been in hospital for a long while before anyone can start thinking about taking it to court.

I know its hard but you need to wait to see how your ill sister gets on over the next few months.

Maybe email your well sister to pass on your best wishes and asked to be informed of how she is doing? It must be a really difficult time for all of you at the moment.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it is very important to remember your sister has only just gone into hospital. Must people will recover is a short while, it is far too early to be considering going to court at this stage, the courts would not be interested, you sister will have had to been in hospital for a long while before anyone can start thinking about taking it to court.

I know its hard but you need to wait to see how your ill sister gets on over the next few months.

Maybe email your well sister to pass on your best wishes and asked to be informed of how she is doing?
    It must be a really difficult time for all of you at the moment.

I'm sure that's what most people would do (or even go and visit) but in light of various things the OP's been saying on here, I'm not sure that's actually going to be a good idea.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    Look,first I have to get my inheritance before I can think about that or do anything.
    The way it looks at the moment, I will be lucky to get my money at all, let alone move to Liverpool.

If I don't get my inheritance it won't happen because I will be stuck on benefits forever.

My biggest problem is getting my money which is now going to be a problem.

Unless my sister recovers enough to go to the bank with my other sister, it looks like I am going to have to fight to get my inheritance.

Yes I have to find a GP whether I like it or not.
    Because say the DWP write to me to review my benefits or ask for certificates which they can do-Then I will need a GP for that.
    But that's the only reason I looking for one.
    If I was not on benefits I would not bother.

If I talk to a GP about this I don't think they would be very interested.
    A lot of them only give you short appointments and don't have time to really talk to you like a CMHT Keyworker or Psychiatrist does.

Now about this problem.
    I cannot get my inheritance because of some Red Tape Barclays Bank.
    The manager of Barclays Bank told me my well sister must get power of attorney by going to a Solicitor and going to court to gain sole control of the account.

But my Solicitor said that Barclays Bank have told me wrong and my sister must go to the Court Of Protection.
    And my solicitor said Power of Attorney from whom?
    What did he mean by that?

BTW I did not even know what Power Of Attorney was until the Bank manager explained it to me.
    So I certainly don't understand what my Solicitor was trying to tell me on the phone today.
    What?

Could some one explain?

Various people have explained but you just will not accept the advice you have been given. I believe you need urgent medical help to reduce the serious anxiety you are suffering from and to help you think straight. Unless and until you do that I believe you will just continue going in round in circles and getting nowhere. That should be your number one priority. If you can't do that then despite all the goodwill on here you will not solve your problems. I am sorry to sound harsh but you should stop making excuses for not seeking medical help. You can do it but you have to help yourself.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ann, my sister has at various times been in and out of mental hospital as a voluntary patient. Sometimes she gets better in a couple of weeks, sometimes it takes a couple of months, sometimes longer. There is no set time. I have to say that usually, because of the medication given, she seems to get worse before she gets better, but once she is on the mend, she would have capacity to sign. That is my experience. Nobody can say if it will be the same for your sister, but you just have to be patient and wait. You are no worse off than you were before your mother died.
    You will get your inheritance eventually. You will also have to pay your solicitor out of the money, and the more you use him, the bigger the bill.
    Just be patient. Trust the advice you have been given.
  • mrmechanic
    mrmechanic Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ann, you are not doing yourself any favours here, you are stressing yourself out and still increasing your legal bill while ignoring all the very good advise being given.
    The "woman in the launderette" isn't going to be interested in this and will more than likely not be able to give you any more useful info than you have already received numerous times on here.
    You are still stressing yourself out with talk of fighting the banks and moving to another lawyer.You are not listening, the bank is doing nothing wrong and no lawyer is going to make the bank change its policy.The correct procedures need to be followed and this will take time to progress.You need to step back and let this take its course.
    I have been lucky where I have never had to deal with MH problems but it is clear that you are not in a good place with the stress of this.
    Your main goal at this moment should be to register with a gp to gain some support through this time you are obviously having difficulty with.
    You need to address this foremost before pursuing anything else to do with this inheritance.Sort out your health and the inheritance will sort itself out in time.
    If you keep going the way you are then your health is going to suffer while your legal bill increases unnecessarily , eating into the amount you will receive .
    I do hope you find some support through this through a health professional and listen to the very good advise given but the outcome is certainly in your hands.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure