after some advice

Comments

• cherry123_2
    cherry123_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    he hasnt always drank as much it has crept up year by year and what a mean thing to say how was i supposed to know what was going to happen in the future, i came for help not to be judged what has happened. and my first partner started drinking after the death of our child.
    £365.00 in 365 day challenge = £5.00/£365.00:rolleyes:
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take the house - if you don't and the situation gets even worse you'll be kicking yourself about it as you might not get another chance of a property!! It'll be somewhere stable for you and your children.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    borkid wrote: »
    Hi cherry my dad was abusive when drinking which was frequently. I wish my mum had had the opportunity and courage to leave him it would have been so much better for us. Less money but not living in fear all the time. After a bad bout there were always treats but he never stopped the abuse

I second this, I wish my mum had had the same help, there is nothing worse than living in fear as a child, not knowing who was going to be the next one to get hit. My mum did eventually get away, but I have to say all I ever wanted was to be taken into care away from it all.
    I'm going back a long time ago, back to the 70's
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • cherry123_2
    cherry123_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    just at home he rarely goes out x
    £365.00 in 365 day challenge = £5.00/£365.00:rolleyes:
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Take the house and take the children. Give him back any keys you have, once you have all your stuff. If he wants to visit and you wish to allow that, make it once a week on YOUR terms. Do not give him any keys to your new home.

I am cheered by the fact that you realise that the children are more important to you than anything you may still feel for this man. Those feelings for him will be for the man he was, not the man he is now.

Good luck in your new start, make sure the children know what you are doing and why you are doing it. They, and you, need security and a stable home life now.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    I second this, I wish my mum had had the same help, there is nothing worse than living in fear as a child, not knowing who was going to be the next one to get hit. My mum did eventually get away, but I have to say all I ever wanted was to be taken into care away from it all.
    I'm going back a long time ago, back to the 70's

Mine was back in the 50s and 60s. I left home as soon as I could and never let my own children alone with their grandparents on the few occasions they saw them. It was only when they had both died that the nightmares stopped as well. So sad as life could have been so much better for all concerned.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    wishing you strength and all of my hope is with you
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    as others have said, take the house, *don't* give your partner keys . If you decide to keep seeing him, then do so at his home, that way if he is drinking or becomes aggressive you can leave.

It can be hard, he may become aggressive or abusive (including emotional abuse or blackmail) and try to blame you. don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of thinking that his problems or behaviour are your responsibility.

You may find it helpful to remind yourself that you are teaching your children by example. If you stay with him, or if you continue to see him despite his abusive behavior, the message you give them, and that they will take into their own adult less, is that abusive behaviour is normal and acceptable in a relationship.

By leaving, and protecting yourself and them from his abuse, you teach them that it is not, that that no-one should tolerate being treated in that way, and that treating a person like that is not OK.

I strongly recommend that you split from him completely. This is a person who is abusive - he may change, but it is not an easy or a quick process.

If you decide to carry on seeing him then ask yourself - how much has he really changed? Is he going to AA or other support groups? Has he spoken to his GP to ask about anger management classes / counselling? Does he acknowledge that he has been abusive to you or does he see this as solely an issue around his alcohol use?
    Even if he is able to change, do you actually want to be with someone who has treated you and your children in that way
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • cherry123 wrote: »
    he hasnt always drank as much it has crept up year by year and what a mean thing to say how was i supposed to know what was going to happen in the future, i came for help not to be judged what has happened. and my first partner started drinking after the death of our child.

But presumably you DIDN'T start drinking. You dealt with the tragedy in better ways.

My concern is, you're still making excuses for these men.

Not much point in giving advice, because you don't want to hear it. You'll no doubt refuse the council house because partner #2 will tell you it'll be your fault if he has to go back to drinking again to ease the loneliness.

You can't help some people :(
  • mildredalien
    mildredalien Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    But presumably you DIDN'T start drinking. You dealt with the tragedy in better ways.

My concern is, you're still making excuses for these men.

Not much point in giving advice, because you don't want to hear it. You'll no doubt refuse the council house because partner #2 will tell you it'll be your fault if he has to go back to drinking again to ease the loneliness.

You can't help some people :(

Clearly cherry is asking for help right now and has taken on board the advice of everyone so far, so this seems quite uncalled for.

It can be hugely difficult to recognise that just because a partner used to be a certain way, they are no longer that way now - particularly as being an alcoholic or even abusive doesn't make a person 100% entirely bad, it means they are making bad choices.

However, this does not in any way take away from his responsibility to be a good partner and father, or that it is his behaviour that is causing the problem NOT YOURS. It will likely be very difficult for him to change, and if you fear for your safety and wellbeing or that of your children, the best possible move is to leave and create distance. If you feel you want to support him to make changes then that's fine. Just because he says he will change though, doesn't mean he will, and there will be a lot of work before it would be right for you to go fully back into the relationship.

Whatever happens from now on, remember that it is his responsibility to change his attitude and behaviour, and you are not responsible for his choices.
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family