IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones Solicitors - Quick question

Earlier this year I received a parking fine from County Parking Enforcement Agency Ltd for parking in my flat car park and not displaying my permit. I appealed via Email and unsurprisingly was told it couldn't be cancelled.

I have since ignored two debt recovery letters from Debt Recovery Plus and two letters from Zenith on advice from this forum, however I have now received a letter (10 days ago) from Gladstones Solicitors informing me that if I don't pay DRPL, they may instruct Gladstones to take legal action against me.

I've seen that I should also ignore this letter as it's not a LBC, but my concern is that I have since moved from my previous address where these letters were sent to, and I was not going to inform any of the debt recovery companies that I have moved.

Will this be a potential issue going forward? Should I just continue to ignore?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Carthesis
    Carthesis Posts: 565 Forumite
    You'll need to update them about your new address, just in case they do try to take it to court.

Write to DR+ and inform them that the debt is disputed. Inform them of a change in address.

Then continue to ignore.
  • Thank you for the quick response. Is there a template anywhere that I could use for this? As honestly I have no idea where to start.

Incidentally I'd have been tempted to just pay the fine to get it off my mind, but the varying degree of how much they ask for each time is hilarious.

First attempt - £100, but £50 if paid within 2 weeks.
    Second attempt - £140
    Third - £119
    Fourth - £140, but willing to accept £100
    Fifth - £100, but £140 after 14 days
    Current - £160

Are they even allowed to do this?
  • catfunt
    catfunt Posts: 624 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    For goodness sake don't pay it, no-one here will recommend that.

There is no template, but it won't take a long letter. Something like...

"Dear bottom feeders,

The debt is denied. Please refer this back to your client.

Please be advised that I have now moved home, and my new address is:

(new address)

Any attempt to serve court papers to my old address will be regarded as unreasonable behaviour.

Proof of posting will be obtained from the Post Office and will be kept with a copy of this letter.

lots of love

frutosochi"

And get a free proof of posting from the Post Office (don't use recorded!)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes just send your new address but remind them you are not liable as you are only the registered keeper. Say you are only supplying your new address in case the parking firm actually believes they have a cause of action for a claim, or so that DRPlus can confirm the charge is cancelled and that they've removed your data from their records. Tell them that the driver will not be identified and the parking firm did not comply with the POFA so they have no case.

I would finish by saying 'Please don't insult me with DRPlus' laughable template letter about 'My findings' because this is not an appeal, it is merely confirmation of my address for service of court papers or a cancellation letter.'

BTW even if you get a Gladstone's claim, take heart from the fact we have never this year so far, seen a defended one where we've assisted, go any further than Directions Questionnaire (the stage after a defence was filed). No hearings on here, not with Gladstones cases.

Those that do go to hearings off-MSE are often won at hearings anyway (Google 'Parking Prankster Gladstones bungle' and 'Parking Prankster been Gladstoned' and read the resulting Blogs about all the cases parking firms have taken a hit over and lost!).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks for the replies catfunt and coupon.

Am I still unable to claim that I'm not liable and only the registered keeper when I sent an appeal to County Parking?

The appeal read like this (I realise it was stupid but it was before I had sought advice):

"PCN Date - [Date]

PCN Number - [PCN Number}

Vehicle Reg - [Reg]

Vehicle Make / Model - [Make Model]

Name - [My Name]

Address - [My Address]

Contact No - [My Number]

Reason for Appeal:

I currently hold a valid parking permit for this parking spot. Unfortunately I went to work this morning and came home feeling rather unwell. Due to feeling unwell, I didn't realise that my parking permit was not displayed correctly on my dashboard, which it is now.

Please accept my apologies for this.

I have attached proof of the parking permit now displayed on my dashboard. Please let me know if there is anything further you require.

Many thanks."

I feel like there is too much emphasis on me being the driver in the original appeal for that to work.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:53PM
    frutosochi wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick response. Is there a template anywhere that I could use for this? As honestly I have no idea where to start.

Incidentally I'd have been tempted to just pay the fine to get it off my mind, but the varying degree of how much they ask for each time is hilarious.

First attempt - £100, but £50 if paid within 2 weeks.
    Second attempt - £140
    Third - £119
    Fourth - £140, but willing to accept £100
    Fifth - £100, but £140 after 14 days
    Current - £160

Are they even allowed to do this?

Don't pay the scammers. They are the same as begging letters from the Nigerian scammers

The problem is that DRP already know of the Gladstones court failures as shown here many times. Would they really tell County Parking Enforcement Agency Ltd (the principal) to get Gladstones on the case so it will cost them money for another failed case.

Any parking company who does not want to get "Gladstoned" by Gladstones should instruct them on a "no win, no fee" basis only.
    Then lets see how smart Gladstones are ?

IS THIS ALLOWED ???

Right now at 5.30pm on the 18th Oct 2016 .... YES, Theresa May's government allow it

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    frutosochi wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies catfunt and coupon.

Am I still unable to claim that I'm not liable and only the registered keeper when I sent an appeal to County Parking?

The appeal read like this (I realise it was stupid but it was before I had sought advice):

"PCN Date - [Date]

PCN Number - [PCN Number}

Vehicle Reg - [Reg]

Vehicle Make / Model - [Make Model]

Name - [My Name]

Address - [My Address]

Contact No - [My Number]

Reason for Appeal:

I currently hold a valid parking permit for this parking spot. Unfortunately I went to work this morning and came home feeling rather unwell. Due to feeling unwell, I didn't realise that my parking permit was not displayed correctly on my dashboard, which it is now.

Please accept my apologies for this.

I have attached proof of the parking permit now displayed on my dashboard. Please let me know if there is anything further you require.

Many thanks."

I feel like there is too much emphasis on me being the driver in the original appeal for that to work.

hand it to them on a plate , "THE driver" , NOT I
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • pappa_golf wrote: »
    hand it to them on a plate , "THE driver" , NOT I

I know I cocked up on this. As I said it was before I had sought advice, and my head wasn't right due to feeling awful. Thanks anyway, I'll omit the part about not being responsible.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2016 at 1:02AM
    No because you said who was driving- but it's not the end of the World, LOADS of people muck that up then come here and grab victory from the jaws of defeat!

Gladstones cases are defendable even if you get a claim. Here's a thread which shows a reply to a Gladstones letter and which has (as usual) now gone to court claim stage. The person is not panicking and there is another link there to just one of LOADS of Gladstones defences on forums this Summer:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5517271

Come back when they serve court papers and DO NOT PANIC. As I said, we have a lot of success.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure