Microwave refunded but NOT collected - Can I keep it?

Options

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2016 at 1:14AM
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    1. OP asks ASDA if they can keep the microwave (a bit cheeky like but whatever!)

2. ASDA agent agrees

3. a few months later ASDA try and chase the money/item

In those circumstances I don't think ASDA could legally insist on the item or the money back. Obviously if they disputed that an agent made any agreement you might need evidence so I would want the agreement in writing. (Perhaps they might try to argue a reasonable person should have known a customer service agent would not have the authority to make such an agreement. But personally I would argue against such an an assertion.)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Asda are not going to agree to give away the Microwave simply because of a failure to collect by their courier.

I don't know why anyone would seriously suggest asking them to gift it?

Solution is to simply take it to the local Asda store...
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    anirah2 wrote: »
    Hi

I bought a microwave from George.com at Asda. However, I decided to return it as it was unsuitable.

On 12/09/16 no one showed up and my sister was at home all day.

On 13/09/16 Yodel attempted collection at 5.14, even though I had already explained to George customer services that no one would be home until after 7pm.

The third collection was arranged for 16/09/16 after 7pm but Yodel didn't show up again.

I've made numerous attempts to get the microwave collected, even though we've already received a refund. I've phonedGeorge.com ten times, I've emailedGeorge.com twice and I've emailed Yodel twice. In addition, to this I've emailedGeorge.com and Yodel together an additional five times.

What else can I do?!Does the item become mine after a period of time?

Thanks

Why would you want to keep it if was unsuitable? or does a free one suddenly seem ok!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Asda are not going to agree to give away the Microwave simply because of a failure to collect by their courier.

The may do depending on the price.
    They would probably insist on the return of this one at £115
    http://direct.asda.com/russell-hobbs-rhfm2363b-23l-800w-microwave-black/001589383,default,pd.html

But they may decide that due to the inconvenience they have caused the OP and the cost of arranging a collection, it might be better to simply let them keep this: (£25)
    http://direct.asda.com/Russell-Hobbs-17L-700W-Microwave-Oven---Various-Colours/RH17LMicrowave2MASTER,default,pd.html
  • societys_child
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Why would you want to keep it if was unsuitable? or does a free one suddenly seem ok!
    Like many things, once it's free, it becomes far more "suitable" :rotfl:
  • Why_Not_
    Options
    You'll probably find your local Asda will accept it back, but make sure you get a receipt from them since they won't be actually actioning the refund.
    Was trying to avoid that! Its soooo heavy (48 litres, I think). Plus I don't drive so I may have to get a cab. But thx, it'll be my last resort!
  • Why_Not_
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    Yep, quick trip to your local ASDA to drop it off and voila, problem solved! The time you'll waste waiting for deliveries may be longer than the drive to your local store.

You could also maybe send an email to them and ASK to keep it! Its a bit cheeky like, and I don't know for certain what the law is, but they may just agree to that and be done with it.

True, but pls see my post above!

I like the idea of asking them to keep it tho. I doubt v much they'll say yes, I'm just curious as to what the response would be...
  • Why_Not_
    Options
    Their website seems to indicate the options are to take it back to an asda store (depending on the product/store), drop it off at a collect+ or send it back by post.

OP have you tried logging into your account and doing this from the "your orders" section? Might be slightly more hassle than having it collected but at least it gets it out of your way and ensures asda arent going to try and recharge your card later on.

Thx, will give it a try
  • Why_Not_
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Have Yodel explicitly agreed to collect after 7pm? They don't do timed deliveries/ collections, which makes me think they noted your request but it was not guaranteed.

The simplest solution would be to take it to store. Many are open twenty four hours so it can be done at your convenience.

No they didn't but I was initially dealing with Asda and I didn't know. But after I found out I asked why they can't collect after 7pm if they can deliver after 7?

I also said that after failing to collect 3 times they should make an exception.

Trying to avoid taking it back myself!

Thx for your reply
  • Why_Not_
    Options
    The may do depending on the price.
    They would probably insist on the return of this one at £115
    LINK DELETED
    But they may decide that due to the inconvenience they have caused the OP and the cost of arranging a collection, it might be better to simply let them keep this: (£25) LINK DELETEDL]

The one I bought cost £97 approx, so I doubt they'd agree, but I'm still tempted to ask!

Thx

NEW USER - NOT ALLOWED TO POST LINKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family