Faulty sofa from furniture village.

Comments

• Hi all

I too have followed this thread for a bit now and I too have had the exact same problems with the Scala range!

Ive gone through all the main channels and FV dont want to hear it. I bought mine back in November 2005 (£995) and apparently they re-did the warranty on these sofas for 6 years after they found out the problem, of which, I am now out the loop..........

What can I say or do as their customer service is flatly saying they cant do anything even though i've brandished Consumer Direct and Trading Standards at them!

Any help is welcome!!!
  • girlynut wrote: »
    We too have the 2 seater and 3 seater Scala sofas and they have peeled. have dug out my paperwork and found that we bought them in Nov 2005. Called the store and was told that, as we are outside the 5 year warranty period, there is nothing they can do. Have taken the manager's name and will be writing a complaint letter and enclosing photos.

The only sticking point is that my invoice shows a "Bicast Leather Care Kit"!! But I won't mention that! I am certain that the sofas were advertised as leather and that's what we thought we were getting.

EXACTLY the same sofas as we bought and exactly the same month and year too! We got ours in Orpington
  • We did not accept the warranty arguement as it was "mis-sold".

We were going to use the misrepresentation act and even though we were 6 years over as bought in July 2005 were going to argue FV never advised us of issue (afterall they have everyone's details) so would have argued 6 years to start from when we became aware which was this forum.

As per my previous posts we got a full refund, did take 4 months, phonecalls, letters and a Letter Before Action.

I would have risked not getting anything and losing the court fee's as it annoyed us, remebering how the salesman said the leather would get better with age!

Good luck
  • Bellalolo wrote: »
    We did not accept the warranty arguement as it was "mis-sold".

We were going to use the misrepresentation act and even though we were 6 years over as bought in July 2005 were going to argue FV never advised us of issue (afterall they have everyone's details) so would have argued 6 years to start from when we became aware which was this forum.

As per my previous posts we got a full refund, did take 4 months, phonecalls, letters and a Letter Before Action.

I would have risked not getting anything and losing the court fee's as it annoyed us, remebering how the salesman said the leather would get better with age!

Good luck

Thanks Bella, this fills me with slightly more confidence. However can I ask if it did end up in court?

Im only in the early stages of this right now. Ive rung twice now and been fobbed off with the guarantee malarky, however, they have now referred this on so im now waiting on their response........

M
  • Never went anywhere near court.

Started with store manager who offered partial refund then upped to £500 when we refused.
    Said he could do no more and forwarded to head office, we in the meantime gave them plenty of time but made sure they knew we were not going away chased with phone calls and letters (both to head office and store manager). Final letter when we had no movement on £500 was LBA which we also said we would charge storage for old settee as we had replaced. They very swiftly offered full refund!
  • Forgot to mention our replacement sette was FV so that may have helped, ordered before we knew of issue,s with Scala.
  • I refused first offer of £111 based on the life span of six years; this was said to be based on a "usage charge of 16.67% per year" ( I had the sofas just over five years when peeling became a real problem). They then offered £300 based on a usage charge of 12.5%. But this still does not address the mis-selling issue. I am now about to fill out a small claims court form.
  • Bellalolo wrote: »
    Never went anywhere near court.

Started with store manager who offered partial refund then upped to £500 when we refused.
    Said he could do no more and forwarded to head office, we in the meantime gave them plenty of time but made sure they knew we were not going away chased with phone calls and letters (both to head office and store manager). Final letter when we had no movement on £500 was LBA which we also said we would charge storage for old settee as we had replaced. They very swiftly offered full refund!

When did you make the claim for all of this? Ive only recently found my receipts which is why Im here but its 2012 and i bought it in 2005.

My calls and emails have gone to head office who are now saying that under no circumstance do we have a case because the item was NOT mis-sold it was sold as 'coated leather' and not leather. What do i say to that?

M
  • Can anyone tell me where the kite marks are on the sofas and if anyone has a copy of the original broshure that came with the Scalas. It seems that in this broshure it advertises the sofas as 100% leather
  • Hi Mattymph,

I've still got some FV advertising material which clearly says that the sofas were made of "solid leather" and show the leather mark. Get in touch with me through this forum if I can help.

I'm in the process of Small Claims Court proceedings right now, having also been fobbed off with the nonsense about coated leather. When we bought our two sofas they were sold to us as real leather, which we were assured "would improve with age". Hah! When I first raised the complaint the shop manager said they were "bicast leather" and that it was perfectly ok for them to sell bicast as 'real leather' !! Interestingly one sofa has peeled to reveal an orange-y substance beneath, and the other is sort of grey. Will update this forum when the case moves on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback