Exploding glass tumbler

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    It sure is dramatic. I think it's given me a phobia! Now I've started worrying about my Corelle plates which are made of some sort of glass.

I'm still finding pieces all over the kitchen. I think I'd prefer regular glass. At least it won't terrify me by exploding everywhere.

Regular glass would be far more dangerous if it did break.

These things happen. No harm done, no need for dramatics.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    That must've been shock :eek: Best to put glasses on a plastic or wooden drainer than on a metal one when theyre hot.
  • There was a thread about exploding shower doors as well. I blame the referendum.mif only we had ...
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2016 at 1:03AM
    It was toughened glass. Toughened glass is glass which is heat tempered to be able to take hot liquids and therefore the 'skin' area is always under tension.

In the right temperature conditions, or if struck in the right place, especially if it has a scratch on it, the item will shatter in the way it did to you.

I used to work at a glass factory which had a windscreen replacement department. Every now and then you would here a loud bang as a screen shattered in the racks.

Scared the hell out of me the first couple of times it happened, so I know how you felt when the tumbler broke.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    robin58, you must be brave, working with this stuff :).

Could it be because it was sitting on a metal drainer, like coffehound said? Does it cause some sort of reaction? It's never been a problem with my normal glasses.

I can see how tempered glass is very useful in a lot of situations for safety reasons, but tbh, I think it's debatable how safe it is for drinking out of. It exploded with enough force to hit the ceiling and cover the room, so I don't like the thought of it near my face and eyes again.
  • Duralex glass has been used for nigh on over fifty years since I went to school they were used for drinking water, and as far as I can remember, I survived childhood!

Nor have I heard of millions of children being showered with deadly splinters of glass.

Mind you, now we are to #BREXIT, I blame the Maltese. Without them, we could be all at sea!
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2016 at 11:45AM
    The op explained the risk that concerned them, namely glass exploding with enough force to hit the ceiling doing so near their face and eyes. If that risk is of no danger then explain why rather than belittling it with references to radioactivity.

I don't see any overreaction. If the same incident had happened to me I would be concerned to learn more about what caused it. If these tumblers can explode spontaneously with no trigger then I would not use them.

Where did the op say the stuff should be withdrawn or are you just putting words in their mouth?
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2016 at 11:46AM
    Well debating how safe his tumblers are to drink from seems a reasonable reaction to me, given the circumstances.

However I can see there is no point debating the matter with you as your idea of debate appears to be to put words in people's mouths rather than address the substance of what was said.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    tomtontom, I have no idea why you think I said tempered glass should be withdrawn. I didn't say that, nor is it my opinion.

It certainly did leave me shaken up. Having seen one explode, I'm very concerned about what could happen if this occurred again when one was close to my face. If it wouldn't bother you at all, that's fine, but other people may not share your view. I'd also like to avoid another lengthy clean-up as I'm still finding bits of glass in unexpected places throughout the kitchen.

I started the thread hoping to try and understand why it happened, and how common it is, so that I might be able to reduce the chances of it happening again. Other people may read this thread and find it useful too. I don't feel your comments are adding anything to this.

I'm a she, btw.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2016 at 10:46PM
    Not to take sides here.. But naedanger there is a discussion board on mse for you and people who like to debate a lot.:)
    It's here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family