PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    I like the Monkey trap image, and it does seem to be a common primate behaviour!

VJsmum, how about endnote which is designed for referencing? Or Trello if you want more of the listing style

Today I made 3 hand towels for the kitchen :D got on and sewed them up on the same day as pinning them, this is unheard of here. So that is a little of the fabric stash used, the wool stash is slowly being used up too

My cleaner is a friend, she has ridiculously high standards and can be trusted to deal with whatever looks like it needs to be done. I'm not sure I would trust someone I didn't already know to be in my house and moving my things. Right, some iplayer and more crochet now - it is a high pain day and I want to be distracted for a while
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had this problem with HMRC - like you, it asked for extra information, namely the figure from my last P60 - despite the fact that I was entering the exact same figure printed in black-and-white in front of me, it refused to let me in.

I can't remember now how I overcame it - it's something to do with it being a beta version I think, I know I got past it eventually. It's a very frustrating system.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well my 3 item to do list didn't work well,

I only achieved one. But it was an important one and i am now much better prepared for my day of assessing tomorrow.

Another victim of death in storage is my white trouser suit, 70's style i was saving for Justin. It has gone very yellow in parts. i have stuffed it in the machine to see if it will come clean. If it does i will chazzer it, if not then it's rags.

So silly

On the upside (ish), the company that makes wedding dresses into burial clothes for still borns is now ready to take my dress. I wish they didn't need it at all, obviously, but am thrilled to donate it. i will post it monday..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you remember Polly, please let me know. I really don't want to have to phone them!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 May 2016 at 6:43AM
    'Morning Everyone.
    Yesterday's winter/summer clothing swap went really well.
    I had kondo-folded all the summer items last winter, placed them in those fancy paperbags you get from posh shops (they stand up by themselves and are gusseted so nothing gets squashed) and they had been in the loft. As we got them out my client was delighted that i) she could quickly and easily see exactly what was in each bag because the items were filed vertically (of course :) ), ii) the clothes were not crumpled, iii) all I had to do was open the appropriate drawer, place one hand either side of the contents of the bag and place the neat 'row' of garments into the
    drawer. A smooth operation, if I say so myself :D

I am encouraging this lady to consider how we could better store her infirm husband's clothing because (I think it is a universal truth.....) he has considerably less storage space for clothes than she does, by a factor of roughly 1:9 !!
    Although most of his tshirts and summer shirts are on hangers there is very little space for jumpers (he has quite a few) and underwear which includes at least a million vests :rotfl:, which all have to fit on 2 shelves in the wardrobe.....

They are fairly good sized shelves but it is not possible to vertically file things in quite the same
    way and would not make it much easier to see what was in there, I don't think :undecided

I introduced some shoe boxes etc to corral some of the socks and undies but it just doesn't feel sorted out yet, iyswim.

Any suggestions from my expert Kondo-ites as to how to store the variety of garments on shelves but still have them readily accessible would be gratefully received! Please note, it would be no good suggesting that my client actually shares some drawer space, no good at all, nope.

I need to write a 'to do' list for today as there is lot to get on with and I need to organise my thoughts so as not to just freeze like a rabbit in the headlights or butterfly around , flitting from place to place!
    Remember to take at least a moment or 2 to find something joyful,

M
    PS, well done GQ. I am concentrating on weight loss but it will be a while before I am only fat, not obese;) (hangs head in shame at losing control for a couple of years I have found much MUCH more willpower these last few weeks. A combo of leaving stressy job and cracking on with KM magic, I am absolutely sure. Plus I left a sedantary job for a far more active life and that was a really great move:j
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D Today will be a great day, I feel it in my bones. Sun is shining, sky is blue, I've lost 0.8 kg in 24 hours, have vac'd and washed the dishes. Off to work now, catch ya laters. GQ x
    I chuckled at the thought of you vaccing the dishes, GQ :rotfl
    Hope you did have a great day!!
    M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 May 2016 at 7:31AM
    MMF007 wrote: »
    I chuckled at the thought of you vaccing the dishes, GQ :rotfl
    Hope you did have a great day!!
    M
    :DDahling, it's the only way to do it!

I'm impressed by the way you used those clothes bags to store the lady's out of season clothes. Excellent idea. I find the smaller, stronger supermarket bags for life, those ones of that sort of plastic cloth with the webbing handles, will stand up on their own until they get too beaten up by heavy use, and are pretty handy for storage. The ones designed to hold 6 wine bottles could be very convenient for certain kinds of storage.

Re the gentleman's shelves, I wonder is something similar to the set up I use in my airing cupboard might work? Said cupboard is only 20 inches wide and has slatted wooden shelves. I need them slatted for the air-flow, of course, but it means that small items can go AWOL. Also, there are many and variable size items in there, which are taken in and out and are in danger of disarraying their neighbours.

I have a few baskets in there of different sizes and types, all sourced very cheaply from chazzers. One, of the sewn, plaited-straw-strip type with a cloth lining, holds the cloth hankies and napkins, which were always falling all over the place. Others, which are more tray like (6 inches deep) hold other things. Might a similar set-up be able to contain the gent's apparel?

Just a thought, anyway.

:) Today is another glorious day. I will be working for most of it, then intend to spend the evening on the allotment again. There were loads of us up there last night, the breeze was gentle, the birds sang and the scent of lilac blossom was like swimming in perfume. Lovely!

I kondo'd quite a lot of weeds :o but only got them as far as the path, where they are being left to wilt and shrink, before the non-pernicious ones will be composted. I found my blackcurrant bushes again....... :p

Have a good day, everyone.

ETA; MMF007, don't feel ashamed about weight gain, most people have been there and I certainly spent more of a couple of years living in Egypt (i.e. in denial) whilst my weight crept up to just over 16 st (which is 5.5 st above where it should be for a person of my height and built btw).

Over-eating and eating a lot of sugar are almost-universal reactions to stress, and I am so pleased that the changes to your working life are making you much happier and that you're slimming down. It took exactly 10 weeks to lose that 7.5 kg but I am happy with my new way of eating (primal blueprint, if anyone's interedted) and can see no reason not to continue with it and continue to lose the flab.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    https://www.facebook.com/C.Rbookart/

My new little venture that brings me joy x
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all
    I have to admit I chuckled at vacuuming the dishes, thinking it was a cleaning tip that had passed me by.

Hope everyone is well
    Just lugged the garden recycling bin round to the front for collecting, only half full but really heavy.
    Taking a pair of street hockey sticks into school for the sports cordinator and in the process of baking cakes from a pack of mix that needs using up to take into school today for the charity cake sale. (If I was organised I'd have made them yesterday)
    Need to help ds1 fill in some paperwork tonight he's been called up for jury service.
    Meeting was interesting and informative last night and didn't create any paperwork.

Have a joyful day all mine will be busy but should be fun.

Edit, they look lovely mummyroys
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    VJsmum wrote: »

I do the three a day list thing and it really works.:T It's even better if you do the thing you dislike the most first as then the next two seem like a doddle.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure