Council assumes income question

Options
Hi,
I have been asked by the council to complete a self employment for my current H/B form and they said that they are going to calculate my income as 35 hrs p/week at min wage, whereas in reality I am a sole trader with zero hour contract & no idea what I am going to earn from one week to the next and I don't even work 35 hours per week either.

I earn way below what their assumption is,:( yet they are going to use this calculation for any future decision, doesn't seem right to me.

Shane

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Is this decision after returning the form about your self employment?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Genuine sole traders don't have a zero hours contract - are you sure you are self-employed? There is a calculator on the HMRC website where you can check.

Lots of councils are doing this to follow the Universal Credit rules.

IQ
  • Here_Comes_The_Judge
    Options
    The only people who don't like UC appear to be those whose Gravy Train is about to hit the buffers.
  • shagzdan
    Options
    The only people who don't like UC appear to be those whose Gravy Train is about to hit the buffers.

Lots of hate on this site, so hope you all have a nice day!:p

I don't claim UC but my business has been going for 3 years fairly steady but I am below the assumed threshold (which is a possibility)

We don't all work 35 hrs per week is my point, it is only a slight discount for my HB as I do not own my own house.
  • shagzdan
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    Genuine sole traders don't have a zero hours contract - are you sure you are self-employed? There is a calculator on the HMRC website where you can check.

Lots of councils are doing this to follow the Universal Credit rules.

IQ

Well, I haven't got a pin badge telling me I am a sole trader but I do pay my taxes and complete self assessment every year,,If that counts..:p

My point is, I do not work 35 hours at min wage.
    Shane
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don’t make minimum wage then is your business isn’t viable.
    It’s best you get a minimum wage job & you won’t need so much state support.
  • shagzdan
    Options

I don't claim it but thanks for the input.:rotfl:
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Rightly or wrongly, being self employed and not earning minimum wage as a full time worker is deemed to be personal choice when benefit entitlement is calculated. That's why the assumption on income has been made by the council. I think the same assumption is being introduced on some other benefits as well.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have health problems OP? If so the 35 hour requirement may not apply to you.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 October 2017 at 11:51AM
    Options
    shagzdan wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been asked by the council to complete a self employment for my current H/B form and they said that they are going to calculate my income as 35 hrs p/week at min wage, whereas in reality I am a sole trader with zero hour contract & no idea what I am going to earn from one week to the next and I don't even work 35 hours per week either.

I earn way below what their assumption is,:( yet they are going to use this calculation for any future decision, doesn't seem right to me.

Shane

The council should be working your HB on the zero hrs

Then they do an additional amount for CTR only at min wage x 35hrs because you have been trading for 3 yrs

But they may not believe you don't work 0 hrs all the time so have used 35 hrs for the whole assessment
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts