Thank your lucky stars you don't live in the USA

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Perhaps what eddy is saying is that as over half the population are such dribbling imbeciles they voted for Brexit (his opinion, not mine) the Court of Protection will have to take over their finances and will thereby run the lives and the finances of half the country.

A very sad story but the British system is considerably more advanced than the Nevadan one.

We are lucky enough to live in a country which has developed a very rigorous system for looking after people who can't look after themselves, whether they have someone willing to do it for them or not, and whether they had the foresight to plan for it or not. In most countries you have to cross your fingers and hope your relatives don't rob you.

I am not saying ours is perfect - what I am saying is that legal systems develop and improve over centuries and ours is further ahead than the Nevadan one.

Eddy has gone from talking about the guardianship / attorney system to lack of funding for state care, which are two completely different subjects. One is about legal safeguards and the other is about money. Taxpayer-funded healthcare is always underfunded and always will be.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've always struggled with the Gandhi quote, the depth of poverty in India is of a different order to anywhere else in the world, with the exception of certain areas of Africa, and the whole Hindu, karma and caste approach is totally at odds with that statement.
  • Alan_Cross
    Alan_Cross Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    My sympathies, Eddy.

All you did was mention that Brexit would, effectively, 'localise' our legislature (a la Nevada) and give voice to the consequent possibility that May's threat to establish GB as a low-cost, low-wage, race-to-the-bottom fairyland might just have some negative implications for the kind of folks who haven't got the dough to live in nice, gated communities.

Needless to say, this is heresy to the Brexit-at-ANY-price frothers hereabouts.

Don't forget: you lost the referendum by a tiny fraction and this of course disqualifies your thoughts from having any validity... oh and by the way, despite the passage of time and the obvious possibility that the electorate may have changed its mind on this matter of generational, national importance, you're not allowed to give mention to the idea of a confirmatory, second referendum...
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Alan_Cross wrote: »
    My sympathies, Eddy.

All you did was mention that Brexit would, effectively, 'localise' our legislature (a la Nevada) and give voice to the consequent possibility that May's threat to establish GB as a low-cost, low-wage, race-to-the-bottom fairyland might just have some negative implications for the kind of folks who haven't got the dough to live in nice, gated communities.

Needless to say, this is heresy to the Brexit-at-ANY-price frothers hereabouts.

Don't forget: you lost the referendum by a tiny fraction and this of course disqualifies your thoughts from having any validity... oh and by the way, despite the passage of time and the obvious possibility that the electorate may have changed its mind on this matter of generational, national importance, you're not allowed to give mention to the idea of a confirmatory, second referendum...

I think it was finding two completely seperate things and linking them together to make a ridiculous conclusion.

Maybe after Brexit we could license guns for the average person and then as that would obviously happen, we would have a massacre just like Vegas, only Glastonbury. And from a tent.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All I am saying is that by taking back on board our own completely independent legislation, and not having the buffer of EU statute, future law could change for what I see as for the worse as we head for an increasingly market led economy.

This argument doesn't make sense.

EU law doesn't regulate this area and probably never will. This is one area of the law where Brexit doesn't have an impact.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A ridiculous OP that nothing to do wih Brexit, and given all 50 US states have their own laws doesnt have much to do with the USA outside of Nevada.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the OP is tapping into a fear that exists with many people post Brexit that their voice is not heard and that a few rich special interests can use the UK's democracy for their own gain.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Let's be grateful we are not American would be my way of looking at it.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."

Mahatma Ghandi

He should have taken note of how they treated its strongest as he may have lasted a bit longer.
  • bugslet wrote: »
    I think it was finding two completely seperate things and linking them together to make a ridiculous conclusion.

Maybe after Brexit we could license guns for the average person and then as that would obviously happen, we would have a massacre just like Vegas, only Glastonbury. And from a tent.

High up in a tent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport