AMOMA.COM - anyone used before?

Options

Comments

• howlsatthemoon
    Options
    Have booked two rooms through them for Prague in October, room rates were a lot cheaper than booking through hotel itself, emailed the hotel who have confirmed our rooms on the dates requested. At the moment I would have no hesitation in using them again.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PuiPui_J wrote: »
    Terrible service, this below email that I've received before 1 day!!! of hotel's date arrival. I have to pay more money to find another hotel for long weekend in Thailand, and broke my kid's heart because they would like to visit the hotel that I've booking at first.

Nonsense, they've offered you another hotel at no extra cost so you don't have to pay any more money. I doubt whether your kid will care what hotel it is as long as there's a pool and access to the beach.
  • xox0123
    xox0123 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    DO NOT TRUST THIS SITE!!!!!
    I use amoma to book a room in which they took my money and i received no room! The site continuously said 1 room left avaiable in which would allow me to put in my personal details, take my money then say room unavailable. leaving me with no money in the bank and no room!
    I rang the company about this in which they said it was the dynamics of the website and refused to take any resoponsibilty. They offered me another room at the same hotel (down ground) for a higher price then my original booking and said i was to pay the difference in price not them!
    Several times i asked to speak to a manager in which they said they was either on lunch too busy or unavailable even with me offering to hold the line at my own personal cost.
    After hours of phone time and days of trying to solve the issue (even though my expected stay date was passed ) i was still not offered an form of apology and only an email stating i was to contact the bank and sort out my own refund!!! The outcome was loss of money, no room and awful service. NEVER Will i ever use this company again!!!!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    xox0123 wrote: »
    i was to contact the bank and sort out my own refund!!! The outcome was loss of money

what reason did the bank give for not doing a chargeback?
  • walliskc
    Options
    I booked a stay in Yellowstone through Amoma. I paid and the booking worked. However, it turned out that I had paid a 30% mark-up to Amoma. They are block booking rooms in high demand hotels and then selling them on at inflated prices - adding no value but taking a fat profit.

When I challenged them on this via their customer services contact, they were evasive and dishonest.

I will never use Amoma again. Stick to booking.com. hotels.com or expedia.com.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You *do* realize all holiday companies are in business to make money and don't sell rooms (or flights) at cost but build in their profit margins .

We pay a mark up on everything we buy - be it food, clothes or holidays. The point is to do your homework and get the best price. When booking US hotels often the US booking sites are cheaper than the Europe based ones as they have lower overheads and don't need to allow for paying in a forign currency or are looking at attracting a different market (Americans tend to book at far shorter notice than Europeans so booking far ahead US sites price are sometimes more attractive but your card will take a hit for paying in dollars depending on which card you pay with)
    walliskc wrote: »
    I booked a stay in Yellowstone through Amoma. I paid and the booking worked. However, it turned out that I had paid a 30% mark-up to Amoma. They are block booking rooms in high demand hotels and then selling them on at inflated prices - adding no value but taking a fat profit.

When I challenged them on this via their customer services contact, they were evasive and dishonest.

I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Rachylou1981
    Rachylou1981 Posts: 714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Trivago regularly and most likely have booked with Anoma at some point and I haven't had any problems with any booking so far.

However I have noticed some issues with the site and so you need to double check all details before you book:

1. Sometimes your search dates are not the ones that appear in the inidividual hotel's page with the price so when you choose the hotel deal, the dates are different in their own search engine which is something a person may not check - this may have happened to you so you should check your original booking

2. Sometimes the hotel is not the same one advertised on Trivago, the hotel page you open is completely different but the price is the same. I find this mostly happens with Low Cost Holidays website offers
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

2. Sometimes the hotel is not the same one advertised on Trivago, the hotel page you open is completely different but the price is the same. I find this mostly happens with Low Cost Holidays website offers

I have also noticed this, however, this is a Trivago issue not an Amoma problem.
  • tece
    tece Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I recently stayed in Stuttgart having booked with Amoma.
    I'd booked a rate that included breakfast but when the voucher arrived in my in box it was room only. I emailed them and got an almost immediate response with the corrected voucher.
    I didn't contact the hotel ahead of arrival to check my booking, have never done that and fortunately there was no issue when I got there.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    walliskc wrote: »

So:

> You made a booking with Amoma at a price you (presumably) found acceptable at the time
    > There were no issues with the booking, the service was delivered as booked.
    > You subsequently discovered that you may have been able to book somewhere else at a lower price (though not clear if that price was available at the time you booked).
    > you are now unaccountably angry with Amoma, when really they did nothing wrong and you should be wondering why you didn't do more research before booking.

It's unlikely that Amoma is "block booking rooms in high demand hotels and then selling them on at inflated prices - adding no value but taking a fat profit" - especially in a destination like Yellowstone. And if someone does block book rooms, they are entitled to take a profit for the risk they take. There are many intermediaries in hotel distribution, no guarantee that Amoma has a direct relationship with the hotel you booked.

Your beef seems to be that they were not cheapest, so by that logic if Amoma are cheaper than the other companies you mention above for a given property (check Trivago etc, it happens), are those companies also then "cheating" you?

I'm sure Amoma is not perfect, and I realise this was your first MSE post, but perhaps criticism is better reserved for when they actually provide poor service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure