Employment References

Options
SevenOfNine
SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 18 October 2017 at 8:02AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Apologies - found the answer but can't delete whole thread. :(https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

Employer is implementing a blanket 'no reference' ban. Personally couldn't care less but others bothered by this so just checking if they could. Answer appears to be 'yes'.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Nobody can be forced to provide references. In that situation I would think the best a staff member could do would be to print off any written statement from the company which states that references will not be given to any staff.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Nobody can be forced to provide references. In that situation I would think the best a staff member could do would be to print off any written statement from the company which states that references will not be given to any staff.

Actually there are certain regulated occupations where an employer is obliged to provide a reference. In most cases though, what you say is correct.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Might be worth checking what they are actually banning. If by reference they mean they won't provide information around role, performance etc but HR will still provide a statement that says employee worked there between x and y date then there is likely no real issue and a common policy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have "letter of employment confirmation" supplied on last day, no references are supplied where I am currently. Though I have started to wonder what happens if say an employee as a tenant needed an employment reference that are also often asked for.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They've said no references will be given at all, not even confirmation of employment dates &/or job title - seems unreasonably extreme! I suppose it might be possible to insist they put that in writing though.

TBH doesn't affect me (I'd be packing in working altogether), but younger staff have a right to be a bit concerned I think. As has been pointed out, some potential employers insist on a reference.

Thanks for answers.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Out of interest, do they require references as part of their own incoming employment process?
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nyermen wrote: »
    Out of interest, do they require references as part of their own incoming employment process?

Their brass neck would need polishing if that’s the case.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    Options
    They've said no references will be given at all, not even confirmation of employment dates &/or job title - seems unreasonably extreme! I suppose it might be possible to insist they put that in writing though.

TBH doesn't affect me (I'd be packing in working altogether), but younger staff have a right to be a bit concerned I think. As has been pointed out, some potential employers insist on a reference.

Thanks for answers.

Unless it is a regulated occupation where there is a legal requirement you can't "insist" they put anything in writing!

You can ask but there is no redress open if they simply ignore you.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    Options
    Is the policy to provide no reference at all or simply no detailed reference?

Many large companies now only provide simple references confirming the dates of employment and job title.

It would be pretty unusual to not get at least that.
  • tommytynan123
    Options
    When I left the Civil Service few years back all they would do is confirm job and dates. I got around that by putting a similar level manager, who I worked with regularly, as a ''professional reference''. Another option is to produce your appraisals (if they do appraisals and they are good!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure