Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad

Options

Comments

• skychick
    Options
    So perhaps we could get the sims now, enable roaming, use them for a day or so here in the UK then switch back to the first set of SIMs...?! Then when they run out we switch.

I know we can get local sims abroad but I need to keep my UK number available. Could I port my UK number to a sim card that I buy in France?
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    skychick wrote: »
    So perhaps we could get the sims now, enable roaming, use them for a day or so here in the UK then switch back to the first set of SIMs...?! Then when they run out we switch.

I know we can get local sims abroad but I need to keep my UK number available. Could I port my UK number to a sim card that I buy in France?

You could start a new set of sims here, add roaming and then take them with you to use. What I don't think you can do (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), is port a number if the receiving sim isn't on it's home network? So the second set of sims would be stuck with the numbers they came supplied with.

No, you can't port a UK number to any other network but a UK one. There are no systems in place for international porting. Sorry.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd like to check current Toggle tariffs but the link http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/tariffs/en is missing destinations!

Is all OK with Toggle? I still have £17+ credit. I have found the local numbers useful, giving me permanent Swiss and US numbers.
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The website has been like that for a while. My guess is that, with the lower roaming rates within the EU, and carriers in countries such as the US, offering roaming packages, it's just a matter of time before Toggle and similar offerings go under.
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I'd like to check current Toggle tariffs but the link http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/tariffs/en is missing destinations!

Is all OK with Toggle? I still have £17+ credit. I have found the local numbers useful, giving me permanent Swiss and US numbers.
  • Roger1
    Options
    mrcamp wrote: »
    My guess is that, with the lower roaming rates within the EU, and carriers in countries such as the US, offering roaming packages, it's just a matter of time before Toggle and similar offerings go under.
    Yes, I was coming to the same conclusion. I've used Three to call Swiss mobiles from the UK for example, cheaper than the last announced rates with Toggle, I think. BTW and OT, Three easily beats 18185 for calling Switzerland from UK landlines.

I suppose my £17+ Toggle credit means I'm locked in but cannot know for sure what my calls will cost.:( I wonder how I could get my credit refunded.
  • lean&mean
    lean&mean Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like they might be running on a skeleton crew. Their Facebook and Twitter accounts haven't updated for years! However, as they're part of LycaMobile hopefully they might keep going. The cost of maintaining their systems might not be as great, and they must still be getting income from non EU destinations. I've got an £18 balance and I think it's worth keeping it.
  • Roger1
    Options
    I've used Three to call Swiss mobiles from the UK for example, cheaper than the last announced rates with Toggle, I think. BTW and OT, Three easily beats 18185 for calling Switzerland from UK landlines.
    FWIW I e-mailed them, asking about rates to/from Switzerland/South Africa/USA, whether they were still in operation, and asking why their Chat Online wasn't working. They responded about the rates, ignoring the other questions.
    Switzerland :
    Landline : 3 p/min
    Mobile : 9 p/min
    SMS : 5 p/sms
    DATA : 15 p/mb

South Africa :
    Making calls : 2.35 £/min
    Local calls : 2.35 £/min
    Receiving calls : 0.96 £/min
    Send SMS : 0.48 £/SMS
    Data : 1.34 £/MB

USA :
    Landline : 3 p/min
    Mobile : 3 p/min
    SMS : 9 p/sms
    DATA : 15 p/mb

So yes, Three is generally more competitive in my limited comparison.
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    The fact that they ignored the other questions should be cause for concern. Definitely do not want to have too high a balance on these cards. Because once they go under, getting any kind of refund will be close to impossible.
    FWIW I e-mailed them, asking about rates to/from Switzerland/South Africa/USA, whether they were still in operation, and asking why their Chat Online wasn't working. They responded about the rates, ignoring the other questions.

So yes, Three is generally more competitive in my limited comparison.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I phoned Toggle and asked about this - all I get on 3 of the drop down boxes is Select Country, is this a browser issue. He said it might be, but he had the same issue and will report it internally.

Tariffs in and to EU countries still 3p/min. I didn't ask for other examples.
  • Roger1
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Tariffs in and to EU countries still 3p/min.
    Yes, I found this PDF on the Toggle website.

http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/PDFs/uk/Roaming-UK.pdf

Switzerland's not there - it's in neither the EU nor EFTA - but I know that calls to Swiss landlines cost 3p/min and to Swiss mobiles 9p/minute, which makes Three 3-2-1 better value, 3p and 3p.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback