the demise of Ebico

Comments

• Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    It does appear that the Ebico/Robin Hood alliance is in some difficuly.British Gas are cheapest on prepayment according to Uswitch.Ebico/Robin Hood both come in £8.70 a year more expensive at current usage.The loss of SSE's customer service/backup,no warm home discount,The idea that the way you pay regardless remained the same.

Ebico was the first choice but now its the opposite.The people they once publically claimed to support in fuel poverty/prepayment has fallen away.

Shadow Energy Minister, Alan Whitehead MP says: “This is a match made in heaven”

It would have been wise to check the facts first before making this statement.People might simply believe this is the best option when that is not the case.

https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/cross-party-support-for-ebico-and-robin-hood-energy-partnership-to-fight-fuel-poverty-in-the-uk/
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Michaelw wrote: »
    It does appear that the Ebico/Robin Hood alliance is in some difficuly.British Gas are cheapest on prepayment according to Uswitch.Ebico/Robin Hood both come in £8.70 a year more expensive at current usage.The loss of SSE's customer service/backup,no warm home discount,The idea that the way you pay regardless remained the same.

Ebico was the first choice but now its the opposite.The people they once publically claimed to support in fuel poverty/prepayment has fallen away.

Shadow Energy Minister, Alan Whitehead MP says: “This is a match made in heaven”

It would have been wise to check the facts first before making this statement.People might simply believe this is the best option when that is not the case.

https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/cross-party-support-for-ebico-and-robin-hood-energy-partnership-to-fight-fuel-poverty-in-the-uk/

Rubbish. Ebico/RHE are not in any trouble. The only real issue is that Ebico has had to drop its zero standing charge for PREPAY METERS due to the Gov capping. It was not some Ebico turns evil plot.
    The only other possible issue is with the 1% discount for paying by direct debit. I suspect this is more to do with RHE, who actually run the Ebico accounts, than with Ebico. In any event a 1% discount for a low user is worth 2 or 3 pounds a year. Not exactly adding to mass fuel poverty.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Xbigman wrote: »
    Rubbish. Ebico/RHE are not in any trouble. The only real issue is that Ebico has had to drop its zero standing charge for PREPAY METERS due to the Gov capping. It was not some Ebico turns evil plot.

I agree with you Darren, things aren't the same as they used to be, but people need to understand that change is inevitable - especially when the government decides to stick its oar in.

Michael, you were coming out with this kind of stuff in April. You were wrong then, you still are. It is understandable you don't like Ebico, although really your anger should be directed towards the government. But as they say, it is time to move on.

You are talking about £8.70 a year that is hardly a rip-off. And it makes no sense to extrapolate that 'fact' into Ebico/RHE being "in some difficulty".

They would have been in genuine difficulty if they had decided to retain the old business model, and the changes SSE are making at the end of this month show that with hindsight the right decisions were probably made.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Michaelw
    I don't normally comment on issues raised but not liking Ebico is not true.I was customer of theres for over fifteen years both on credit and prepayment meters.Knowing that everyone paid the same gave a sence of fairness.Coming back to Robin Hood their supply partner..

The Nottingham post Robin Hood article seems to have disappeared.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/why-some-robin-hood-energy-customers-will-see-their-bills-rise/story-30221314-detail/story.html#EQwMc58MWhttp://wwwo091cxW.99

The British Gas engineer who fitted my smart meters mentioned the company gets bad press I think I now agree.Its the target for critism in the press when people often go by what they read.

Theres just to many comments like below on the web.

Having just got caught by signing up for Robin Hood energy and then find that they have just put the tariff up by over 20% (NOT the 17.5% they try to claim) so I am now interested in switching to OVO - however, can anyone tell me when OVO last put their rates up please?
    Don't want a repeat of the RH shambles!,
    Many thanks,

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/do-you-want-to-know-more-about-changes-in-our-prices-8

I'am staying with British Gas I know that the customer service is major and has a positive feel.Having been with Ebico in the past everything was dealt with by SSE.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't normally comment on issues raised but not liking Ebico is not true.I was customer of theres for over fifteen years both on credit and prepayment meters.
    I'm sorry, but the comments you make suggest otherwise. You said "It does appear that the Ebico/Robin Hood alliance is in some difficuly." What evidence did you base this on, and why say it if you cannot prove it is true?
    Knowing that everyone paid the same gave a sence of fairness.
    That was one of the positives about Ebico if you believe that people shouldn't be penalised for paying using a method which suits them, but it was a near unique situation in the energy supply business and just as many people would say it is 'fair' that people who pay using a cheaper to process method should be given some of the benefit.
    The Nottingham post Robin Hood article seems to have disappeared.
    If you are concerned, then why not contact the Nottingham Post to ask why it isn't there anymore.
    The British Gas engineer who fitted my smart meters mentioned the company gets bad press I think I now agree.
    Skilled and Semi-skilled employees of a company often adopt a 'tribal' approach towards their company and its competitors. Their company is 'best', everybody else is 'rubbish'. Ask House Martin what he thinks of BG competitor's approach to energy theft for example.

I would not ask a BG fitter for opinions on which energy company to use/avoid, other than in matters relating to the meters themselves, if that was an important factor in my decision making process.

BG are also getting plenty of bad press, especially at the moment.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5688215
    Its the target for critism in the press when people often go by what they read.
    True, which is why it is important that people only use facts and actual experience to talk about companies, rather than making misleading and/or unsubstantiated claims.
    Theres just to many comments like below on the web.
    Having just got caught by signing up for Robin Hood energy and then find that they have just put the tariff up by over 20% (NOT the 17.5% they try to claim) so I am now interested in switching to OVO - however, can anyone tell me when OVO last put their rates up please?
    Look hard enough and there are negative comments about every company. In any case, Ebico customers are Ebico customers, not RHE customers. And Ebico customers had a price reduction when they switched to Ebico/RHE and have been promised those prices will be held until December.

SSE increased prices, as British Gas are doing. Please tell us if you find an energy company which will not be putting (non-fixed) prices up before the start of 2018.
    I'am staying with British Gas I know that the customer service is major and has a positive feel.
    That's great, really. Everybody is free to pick the energy company they want to use, and for some people the customer service they get is worth paying extra money for. Other people are more cost-conscious and are prepared to have some inconvenience if it means paying less money.

But that decision is unique to each different customer, depending on how important the different factors are, how much energy they use, where the company is based/owned - perhaps even what colour logo the company uses.

But because you like British Gas and are happy with their service it doesn't mean everybody will be. Which is why saying that another company "is in some difficuly" - when it doesn't appear to be the case - is not only wrong, it is also unfair to other forum users who might miss out on the best deal for them because your comments have misled them.

So if you have evidence Ebico/RHE "is in some difficuly"then please refer/quote/link it when you comment... if not, then please be fair to other forum members and only post what you know, or make it clear you are just stating an opinion.
  • Michaelw
    I initiated a switch to Ebico over 6 weeks ago from BG..Supposed to transfer over on 3 rd July..Ebico seem to have failed completely..I am still with BG paying through the nose £15 a month standing charges for a vacant property I own.
    Ebico are in the hands of Robin Hood Energy now..I have nt got the time to spend two hours on the phone trying to get through to them..
    At the moment I would advise not to bother with Ebico

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5696031
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I initiated a switch to Ebico over 6 weeks ago from BG..Supposed to transfer over on 3 rd July..Ebico seem to have failed completely..I am still with BG paying through the nose £15 a month standing charges for a vacant property I own.
    Ebico are in the hands of Robin Hood Energy now..I have nt got the time to spend two hours on the phone trying to get through to them..
    At the moment I would advise not to bother with Ebico

Well that is our dear friend HM saying that... so lets look at the figures.

He says he is "paying through the nose £15 a month standing charges". Which works out at £180 per year or 49.3p per day.

If his switch was due on 3rd July and today is 17th August I make that 46 days.

46 days at 49.3p/day gives a total of £22.68.

So the 2 hour phone call, if not hyperbole, would work out at a saving of £11.34 per hour... quite a bit more than the minimum wage :)

Therefore I would have made the phone call on 4th July... not wait 46 days and moan about it on a discussion forum. :)

I hope we find out in due course what the delay was caused by. And if it was Ebico/RHE's fault I would strongly suggest HM asks them for appropriate compensation. ;)
  • Michaelw
    British gas charge 26p a day for each fuel.A smart meter breaks down the charge.It is a major cost, my gas use on a day is 28-34p in summer on top.

British gas lease their meters' they don't own them so factored in to standing charges.They also change them every ten years.

They still work out the cheapest now on prepayment.Ebico and Robin Hood work out at £8.73 a year more and could not compete with British Gas levels.

Ebico have been drawn into controversy also why a council in todays climate decided to launch a energy company that made no difference on price is quite astonishing.If there is any gain its on credit meters hardly those most in fuel poverty.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    British gas charge 26p a day for each fuel.A smart meter breaks down the charge.It is a major cost, my gas use on a day is 28-34p in summer on top.

British gas lease their meters' they don't own them so factored in to standing charges.They also change them every ten years.

How is any of that relevant to a thread about Ebico?
    They still work out the cheapest now on prepayment.Ebico and Robin Hood work out at £8.73 a year more and could not compete with British Gas levels.

You keep on saying it, but nobody is disagreeing with you. It has been repeatedly explained to you that the prepayment market has been turned upside down by the 'cap' and if you are unhappy with that then take it up with your MP as the government is responsible.

It has also been repeatedly said that the £8.73 difference applies to your unique circumstances - it is not a reflection of Ebico/RHE's ability to 'compete' with BG. Everybody should do their own price comparison to see what works out cheapest for them.
    Ebico have been drawn into controversy also why a council in todays climate decided to launch a energy company that made no difference on price is quite astonishing.If there is any gain its on credit meters hardly those most in fuel poverty.

Why is it 'astonishing'?

RHE wasn't formed solely to supply you with energy. There are other factors and considerations involved. The fact that Ebico/RHE is not the cheapest option for your unique circumstances doesn't mean that the objectives of the Council, and Ebico, are not being achieved.
  • SummerFun
    SummerFun Posts: 103 Forumite
    It does appear that the Ebico/Robin Hood alliance is in some difficuly....

Any truth in the rumour I heard that RHE are going bust?

Someone mentioned Ebico might be up for sale soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure