What are those things called that make you overtake a parked vehicle wider?

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Well, discourages...

<points up three posts to eBay link for exactly what you just described>
    Yup those posts weren't there when I opened the thread. For some reason MSE didn't warn me that there'd been new replies!
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    "What are those things called that make you overtake a parked vehicle wider?"
    "Common" and "sense" I thought.
    Although it might be "Cost of Wing Mirrors"
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 June 2017 at 5:48PM
    What a stupid idea. Did the designers not think about the fact that most mirrors are above the door line where they show these fitted?

So its possibly for another vehicles mirror to miss that and still clout your mirror. What a waste of money.

Patent on the fixing to the cars door? I bet its the same as those finger guards everyone bought many years ago.

OH DEAR!!! Just had a look and you really shouldn't advertise you were on Dragon's Den when they ripped your product to pieces. And said you flushed £30k down the toilet.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Sounds like you're too old to still be behind the wheel. Something like this maybe more suitable for you. http://www.ringandride.org/service.html

Give the old guy a kicking, eh? You don't know me, you don't know my licence and you don't know my vehicle. Not so long ago I was driving a PSV and an HGV. In my time I have driven everything from a tracked vehicle (APC) to an aircraft transporter.

I don't know you or your licence, but I could easily imagine you as one of the idiots who tears through the sharp bends in my village at twice the 30 mph limit. But that would be unfair: I don't know you, do I? Why do so many younger people think all us Seniors are incompetent drivers?

Read this and get the facts: us oldies have less road accidents than any age group.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24204489

Maybe it's experience?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    Give the old guy a kicking, eh? You don't know me, you don't know my licenceYou're only driving cars now. and you don't know my vehicle. Mobility vehicle.Not so long ago I was driving a PSV and an HGV.But not anymore, you're not fit enough. In my time I have driven everything from a tracked vehicle (APC) to an aircraft transporter. We know once a year at the TA camp

I don't know you or your licence, but I could easily imagine you as one of the idiots who tears through the sharp bends in my village at twice the 30 mph limit. id bet you a months pension I don't, but you can't afford to lose. But that would be unfair: I don't know you, do I? Why do so many younger people think all us Seniors are incompetent drivers? Its time you gave up driving.

Read this and get the facts: us oldies have less road accidents than any age group.But you've driven away from several you've caused.

Maybe it's experience?

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 11:53PM
    Robisere wrote: »
    Read this and get the facts: us oldies have less road accidents than any age group.

Less accidents overall, but there are less of them on the roads, on the other hand when it comes to accidents per miles driven, the "oldies" are the worst by a large margin.

That doesn't even count the carpark dings that old people tend to conveniently forget happened less than 10s after the fact OR the number of accidents they cause without being involved in.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    There are no young drivers with 20 years of accident-free motoring.
    Anyhoo . . .

How about CCTV that works while the car is parked ? Or signs saying it does.

Wing mirrors are like salamanders' tails, they break off so that nothing more serious does.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    There are no young drivers with 20 years of accident-free motoring.
    Anyhoo . . .

How about CCTV that works while the car is parked ? Or signs saying it does.

Wing mirrors are like salamanders' tails, they break off so that nothing more serious does.

But salamanders tails grow back, well some do.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bigadaj wrote: »
    But salamanders tails grow back, well some do.

A quick trip to the breakers or a browse on ebay and your car can grow its ears back just as easily :)

Well you hope so anyway :)

I had a look at that patent and fail to see how they patented the way it attaches to a door. Looks identical to every door edge protector strip that clips on.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

Specious, unfounded argument and you don't even read the link you send. *
    I repeat: YOU DON'T KNOW ME! I actually drive an auto truck for a mate from time to time, and I am covered for it by his insurance. So I don't " only drive cars now " But if I did, so what?
    " Mobilty vehicle " - that's a scooter. I drive a Motability SUV actually.
    " ...once a year at TA camp " No, 12 years of service in the Army Air Corps.
    I can afford to lose a month's pension actually, due to the fact that I worked and saved to provide a Private Pension. However, I think more of my money, than to waste it, even on a definite win against an idiot.
    When I think it is time to give up driving, I will not need the advice of an idiot to do so. I will give up in my own time, in my own recognisance. However, YOU DON'T KNOW ME, so how can you judge?
    I have NEVER been the cause of an accident in all my years of driving. However, two younger people have driven into my car in separate incidents. On both occasions, they were at fault (driving out of a junction onto a main road) and both insurance companies agreed.

* Quote from the link you posted yourself:
    " The Department for Transport (DfT) says there is no evidence older drivers are more likely to cause an accident, and it has no plans to restrict licensing or mandate extra training on the basis of age. "

How many times can you support your own dumb words by saying something dumber?
    I'm done on this one, it fails to amuse me any further.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family