Spoilt Cake

Comments

• evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never had to order or dispute a cake or personalised food order, or been married before, so I do not know what is acceptable. I'm sure I've identified or suggested at least once why I have posted this in the first place but basically as you would get quotes to compare or anything else, I'm seeking others "quotes" for whether the baker is being reasonable or not in their offer.
    Emily :A
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    At a friends wedding a few years ago, the cake maker drove over a hidden speed bump on her way to the venue and the cake collapsed, avalanche style, in the box.
    Disappointing for the bride? Yes. Mortifying for the baker? Definitely.
    But it still tasted good, they still got photos of the cake cutting, and they got a funny anecdote out of it.
    Take the £80, at the very least you'll be able to go for a decent meal somewhere.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My cake was lovely - unfortunately my first husband wasn't (his bit on the side was at the wedding. Nice).

It might seem like the end of the world when one little thing (in the scale of it) goes wrong, and it's hard to accept they're out of our control when we've spent months or years planning for one day, but as others have said, it's a cake that'll be remembered, and hopefully you'll be dining out on it (the story, not the cake) for years when talking about your big day...

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    £300 quid is basically a hobby baker doing mates rates. Here's a comaprison. I think you've been tight, got a keen hobbyist, and are now expecting Mary Berry quality.

Move on.

http://www.sugaredsaffron.co.uk/londonweddingcakes-2/size-and-price/
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A cake is not actually a necessity to become married and spend your lives together.

You are obsessing over a small element of one day rather than getting on with your lives together.

You don't like the answers people are giving you as they don't say what you want- sorry, noone has a crystal ball and human beings don't always agree with each other, and do, quite often express opinions, which on an open internet forum, may appear blunt.

But, to start another thread elsewhere on forums to complain about people disagreeing with you????????????????? That's a little immature.

Accept the £80 or negotiate higher. Get on with enjoying your marriage (i.e. the rest of your life, not that one day) . BTW, I don't look at my wedding photos very much and I've only been married two years. Not because there is anything wrong with them like a slightly collapsed cake (to which we would have laughed!) but because I'm getting on with living
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    OP, i know you were upset by what happened but really, it was a cake. Take a look at the news occasionally, it really doesnt matter that your cake didn't taste right or it collapsed. Try to get some perspective and forget it.
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    What was the time scale of you getting married and you contacting the baker?

She could of thought you were on honeymoon and wouldn't want to disturb.

As others have said, sponge is never a good bottom as it needs to take the weight of the upper tiers.

The fact that the baker DID acknowledge and DID apologise at the venue it just wasn't to you. You were getting married at the time I assume.

The thing about us brides we get so worked up at everything has to be perfect and i one small thing isn't proclaim the day ruined.

The important part of the day was you married the man you love right?
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    £300 quid is basically a hobby baker doing mates rates. Here's a comaprison. I think you've been tight, got a keen hobbyist, and are now expecting Mary Berry quality.

Reminded me of this...

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I can understand your disappointment but look at it this way. You are young and newly married. If this is the worst disappointment or tragedy that happens in your married life you will be luckier tha 99% of the population.

Take the compensation money offered in the light that it will go down in family legend in future years as just one of those thing you look back and laugh about.
  • Have you been watching the news over the last two days OP?

Take the £80,have a nice meal and be glad to be alive with your new husband.

I'm sorry...I have never posted negatively on any forum before but please...is this the time to be asking such questions?

I truly hope you find a reasonable solution to your problem. The solution won't change your Wedding Day....but will just change the way you feel about it if you want to stew over this little detail of it.

I really wish you all the best for your future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure