Vauxhall astra parcel shelf pivots

Ganga
Ganga Posts: 4,097
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
Can anybody tell me how to get behind the left and right trim,s in the boot to fit new pivot pins for the parcel shelf.
The car is a 2004 astra sxi twinport,5 door.
Any help will be apreciated.:)
ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Aren't the pins part of the shelf, with a channel on the car? I've never seen a sticking out pin on a car before, been a few years since the last vauxhall.

Anyway, the answer is a set of trim tools- have a search on eBay.
    Remove any thing through the panel, like seatbelt anchorage, luggage hooks, and then the panel just wrenches off, retained by plastic expanding clips, the plan is to use the tools to pull the panel outwards close to the clips, so you only break one or two.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Ganga
    Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    Aren't the pins part of the shelf, with a channel on the car? I've never seen a sticking out pin on a car before, been a few years since the last vauxhall.

Anyway, the answer is a set of trim tools- have a search on eBay.
    Remove any thing through the panel, like seatbelt anchorage, luggage hooks, and then the panel just wrenches off, retained by plastic expanding clips, the plan is to use the tools to pull the panel outwards close to the clips, so you only break one or two.

No the plastic pins,about 12mm dia. come thru the trim.the trim does not have plastic ( visable ) retainers but has openings to change rear bulbs.Did not want to force the trim off as it might damage it.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The expanding retainers are beneath the panel. Check all round for screws or push rivets, then you just use a wide trim tool to lever from the rear lower edge. Once you get it to start, peer into the gap to see where the retainers are, to get the trim tool as close as you can, so you lever against the retainer, rather than trying to bend the whole panel.

If you are lucky/careful nothing will break, and it will go back, and likely creak I'm afraid as you have disturbed it.

Are you sure the pegs don't fit from inside through the panel, without removing it? They may go into the metalwork with an expanding drive rivet or even a screw down the middle.

Can't be any more specific, as I don't have a vauxhall. I did have the trim out of my Nissan/Renault yesterday to get at the wiring for the bootlock, only shattered one of the clips and it went back fine.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Alternatively, turn the pivot pins through 180deg and push them in from the outside of the panel (may need to file/sand them down slightly).

They stay in place and the additional width provided stops the shelf rattling. They don't fall out when parcel shelf is in place and I remove them if having the parcel shelf out for a while (although the friction of the fitting holds them in place pretty well).

I did this on my insignia as I couldn't be bothered to pull all the trim back.

Lazy, but effective nonetheless. And could be an interim measure until you get the will to pull your boot to pieces one day.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • Ganga
    Forumite
    Well i have done it,and what a pain in the bum,had to remove the floor covering the spare wheel,the trim at the very edge of the boot ( plastic held in with clips ),
    the plastic trim above the side panel and more.If i had known before would have left it as it was not a major problem and would have saved me some skin and blood!
    Thanks everyone for the replies/help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure