Mooloo's little tapestry of life, 2016

Options

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    You can't go wrong with Beko in my opinion. Cheap yet functional and extremely reliable. Check out ao.com too for some bargains if you've got a credit card you can utilise. Otherwise Very are good for BNPL stuff.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with Beko in my opinion. Cheap yet functional and extremely reliable. Check out ao.com too for some bargains if you've got a credit card you can utilise. Otherwise Very are good for BNPL stuff.

I was looking at AO yesterday, although they have the red cooker they didn't seam to have a red fridge freezer that had enough space that matched. Their prices were the same as Currys.
    Argos seemed to have the same cooker I was looking at, about 3p cheaper, and a red fridge freezer that looked similar red. As the only thing between them is a tiny cupboard wide enough for a few pans, it would be more necessary to get similar Red then not.
    Yes I have had Beko things before, and bought them for the kids when I was setting them up initially.
    I suppose it's going to boil down to my heart over my head. I would like to transform my boring magnolia house and make it more my own. Now that I have saved up enough money and the curb is done, I'm wanting to actually settle down properly. Perhaps this has really become our "forever" home that I'd called it when DGD and I had moved in here. 5 1/2 years nearly now. That is the longest I have ever lived anywhere in my whole life, child and adult.
    When I first came here I was expecting at some stage to have moved to Oxford with the BF, but as you know that would have been a disaster. Taking on the shop and saying nope I'm not coming was the best decision for me, that I had ever made.
    Now I grow in confidence, and I realise that I can survive, that I don't need to jump through other people's hoops to please. That it is time to please me.
    I would still like to Aspire to retiring to Portugal, or at least to own a holiday home there. But that's 10 years away at least.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    yay finally got to the end of all your threads :) Yes I read them all (procrastinating from exam revision).

It is so nice to see how much has changed since the beginning. I so wanted to shout at you so many time about your kids, their demands and you always giving in (your life could so easily have been on Jeremy Kyle). Glad to see they are finally sorting out their lives (sort of).

I take it there are no issues with twin1 and GS5 with regards to SS? I wonder if twin2 might think she can have another kid and get to keep it.

Hopefully the shop will continue to grow this year.

Gosh, a mamouth task!
    I often think I should transcript it and make it a diary/book along with my diaries for back up. But then can't imagine why anyone would want to buy it. When I was 50 a doctor told me I should write a book, but I never get the inclination for all the hard work involved and I've started it about three times and can't get passed the first few pages.

Twin2 hasn't decided to have anymore-yet, but her BF was talking about when he has kids etc, and I said that that would not be a good idea yet. Going down the early days, no job, no home route, rather then waving the red flag about SS.

The shop is coming on nicely. I need to sort out my blog, reserect it, and put some pictures on it.
    Apparantly my Landlord has seen it. I presume he ment the blog and not these threads.
    I've been in a habit to check in here nearly every day for so long it is second nature. ( and if I don't post for a while I get messages asking me if I'm ok), so I find it easier to keep this going.

Maybe that's the secret to writing a book.
    A little bit every day.

The disruption begins today. The damp proof people are due in an hour. For three days there will be mass destruction in the house. I just hope the contractors allow me to go out during the day, to go to work. Especially as I won't have access to the loo. Although I do have a cammode in the bedroom if I got really stuck. But don't fancy it!

Time to get up, get ready for work, ( be positive that I will be able to go), and as there is no DGD and no school run, I will take a walk to work and save on fuel, enjoy the beautiful buildings, and listen to the birds incessant chatter rather than Monkey's, (DGD)!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Mooloo Catching up after being off line a lot lately . Such a lot of progress since I last visited . Takings are really on the up and you seem to have sorted so much lately , the future looks bright I reckon .
    It is so heartwarming to see you talking of your forever home . I would say if you can afford it without future stress go for the things that feed your soul and make you happy . If the kitchen is right the rest of the house can be dealt with as and when feasible . I imagine you are one for upcycling furniture wise and with no deadlines to meet you can look out bargains as and when .
    Things seem more positive in a lot of ways . I would however say I hope the bank of mum is not being called upon much . You know I understand the reasons it happened but you have reached a point where you have served more years than you ever signed up for and unless it's dire emergency I think people need to have the tough love now and manage on what they have . Reading back I saw a mention that you pay I think DD1 for looking after GD , with all you do to help all your offspring you shouldn't be paying when they do something to help you . Not meant to offend at all and I hope my comment does not upset you .
    Amidst work and workmen I hope you get some you time and some rest before the week ends and all is back to the usual .
    Warm Hug x
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Savvy_sewing
    edited 1 June 2016 at 5:43PM
    Options
    No offence taken.
    I had a walk down to work just after the workman arrived, so I was in work before 8.30.
    I finished the cardi/cape and then once I'd opened the shop I went upstairs to do the latest curtains. I worked until just after 1pm on them but my arm and shoulder started to hurt. So after lunch I switched to smaller jobs.
    I was in a rather "annoyed" mood today as The other seamstress had a go about the time I had quoted, well the price I had quoted to put loops, modest panel and lace up on the dress we fitted last week. Basically she said she couldn't possibly do the job in an hour and a half. Her tone annoyed me and after she'd gone on about how much work would have to be done etc. I just said "That's alright I can do it". Her face was a picture.
    As it was a job in her eyes I couldn't possibly do. The gauntlet thrown into the ring, I whisked the dress upstairs, unpicked the zip and did it.
    It took me just over an hour and a half, but in that time I also had to talk to a customer etc about some curtains etc so considering it was a job I hadn't ever done before ever, I had to make rouleau and a bias lace, plus panel, I was quite happy with that.
    Her face was a picture. It also gave me the confidence to know that I too can do the panels etc easily.
    I know written down it may seam a bit feable/childish of me, but I often have to bite my tongue at things she says and does and today I just couldn't be bothered.
    I believe staff said she went on about it being too difficult etc and she told her that perhaps she ought to shut up and not shoot herself in the foot. ( she wants overtime so I give her all the wedding and proms dresses. Now she has reduced the jobs on her list and therefore lost a couple of hours overtime!)
    That meant that the curtains didn't get finished and I did consider staying late but wasn't in the mood.
    When I got home there was no sink or toilet cistern in my bathroom, so I've grabbed a to dinner and come back to my friend in Oxford. Tomorrow means an early start to get back for 8am for the builders.
    I may have to have an early night.
    My arm doesn't like the curtains, and the driving so I shall have to be careful tomorrow.
    Seamstress is back in tomorrow and staff has the day off. ( she didn't really want to work alongside seamstress much either!)
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    Your seamstress sounds like she thinks you can't do without her AND (how insulting) that you can't even do some jobs, let alone know how long they should take. She probably wants a pay rise.

Personally, I think you should look around for another seamstress - maybe your other staff member could recommend someone?, - and let your current seamstress go. She sounds high maintenance, not what you want in an employee.

Yes, I appreciate she wants the overtime, and is probably annoyed that she isn't raking in the dough she thought she would be getting, or being treated by you as an indispensable part of your business (she isn't - everyone's replaceable) but if someone wants a guaranteed number of hours or even full time work, then they should apply for that kind of job.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    When I advertised she was the most suitable. I just said part-time, it was she who could originally only do 10 hours. These were split over 3 days. Then as we went along she asked to change them to one full day, and the half morning. Now she asks to do two full days, meaning I have to leave her in the shop when we are closed, as she can't do any other day.
    She is very good, but getting a bit frustrating as she is making some silly mistakes. She also interferes with Staffs job, which frustrated staff. That's why staff is taking this morning off.
    Unfortunately it means that I no longer get my Wednesday off.
    I'm just frustrated with her at the moment.
    She has continued to waffle on about her tax. Yesterday she came huffing and puffing up the stairs as she had paid £9 tax.
    Basically I cannot do anything about it, her tax code is what it is. So my option was to say she didn't have to do overtime. When I mentioned offering some hours out to other seamstresses she wanted the work first. So I can't win.
    I don't want to have to take on more than I am doing already, as I want a wage myself, and the amount of work I do is enough for my old body.
    The left arm is complaining as it is. So I'm in a catch 22 stage at the moment.
    Just having a cup of tea then I must get dressed and leave Oxford to get home for the builders return at 8am. If he arrives any earlier I won't be there.
    So deep breath in today. Hope I have more patience and we get through the day. The curtains won't get done though as I can't hear the shop bell on the third floor.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Well I got home just before 7.45.
    Ten minutes to spare. The guy arrived just before 8. Reckons he will be finished today. But the plumber isn't due back until tomorrow.
    I'm at work and just having a huge problem with the seamstress as I tried to explain a few things.
    She's lucky at this precise moment she still has a job.
    Mouthy is the best way to describe it.
    She threatened to walk out and I nearly said fine. But the diplomat in me has appeased the situation although you could now cut the atmosphere with a knife.
    I'd like to walk out myself! Thank god it's only until 1pm today and then I can go. Even having to use a bucket seems more appealing then staying here.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mooloo Her behaviour is totally unacceptable . You are her employer and own and run the business . I am aware your brain is overloaded with all sorts on a daily basis and I hesitate to suggest additional stress but she needs to go - how dare she speak to you in such a rude way and threaten to leave . In a perfect world I would have opened the bl**dy door and slammed it behind her but obviously she knows you have no one to step into her shoes .
    I think you have to urgently look for a replacement . The shop is your baby and doing well now . You can't add additional stress by both yourself and staff having to work with this and dread the working day you need a miracle so hoping you find a solution asap
    Hope the work at home goes well today . On a completely different subject do you ever see anything of Elaine ( MG ) on line ? Like you I loved her blog and I have many bookmarks to her posts . I haven't found anything since she injured her eye and often wonder how her and the boys are .
    Hope today improves . Onward and forward Hun , what else can we do ?
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Mooloo Her behaviour is totally unacceptable . You are her employer and own and run the business . I am aware your brain is overloaded with all sorts on a daily basis and I hesitate to suggest additional stress but she needs to go - how dare she speak to you in such a rude way and threaten to leave . In a perfect world I would have opened the bl**dy door and slammed it behind her but obviously she knows you have no one to step into her shoes .
    I think you have to urgently look for a replacement . The shop is your baby and doing well now . You can't add additional stress by both yourself and staff having to work with this and dread the working day you need a miracle so hoping you find a solution asap
    Hope the work at home goes well today . On a completely different subject do you ever see anything of Elaine ( MG ) on line ? Like you I loved her blog and I have many bookmarks to her posts . I haven't found anything since she injured her eye and often wonder how her and the boys are .
    Hope today improves . Onward and forward Hun , what else can we do ?
    polly x

Elaine is very busy working full time now for the local SNP office in Culper. She is on Facebook and Twitter but mostly political now.
    The wee Red Head is doing well. The oldest lad is also doing well and looking very tall!
    I miss her blog it kept me grounded, excited about meals from not a lot etc.
    I couldn't post once she changed sites, and so the chatter I used to be involved in stopped.
    I haven't heard from Allegra at all.
    I think a few follow me on Facebook these days.

I want to wait 24 hours, and then will go into work and assess the jobs we have already to do, check if they are jobs that I can trust myself to do, and assess whether to go back to sewing on my own.
    Or I do the weddings etc and out source the trousers to a lady that I have details for.
    I just want to sleep on it.
    Basically the Seamstress doesn't want to work with Staff anymore and won't have it. I asked her to stop going on about it, and I was trying to do some work on the laptop but her continual harping on about things, on top of what I was trying to tell her.
    She mentioned working her notice or going now. A her or me situation.
    My inclination is to write her a letter of warning, or to say that after deep thought that her offer of resignation today was probably best and that I accept it. That she need not work her notice and I would just pay her in lieu.
    I will wait until I've slept on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure