Enforcement by distraint

Comments

• wheezy57
    wheezy57 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Yes, thats the number the person who signed the letter gave for me to contact them. I appreciate it is not a help line as such but it is a way of contact that is now unavailable to me. The letter has come from the Debt Management in Blackpool letter head with HMRevenue & Customs. Is that a separate debt company then? Thank you though for your reply.
  • shedboy94
    shedboy94 Posts: 929 Forumite
    wheezy57 wrote: »
    Yes, thats the number the person who signed the letter gave for me to contact them. I appreciate it is not a help line as such but it is a way of contact that is now unavailable to me. The letter has come from the Debt Management in Blackpool letter head with HMRevenue & Customs. Is that a separate debt company then? Thank you though for your reply.

Without knowing the full facts of your case it's impossible for anyone to say exactly what is going on. The letter will have come from HMRC, but DMB (Debt Management and Banking) are seperate from Tax Credits and deal with money owed to all areas of HMRC. The no. will either be a number specific to the person who sent the letter as certain staff in certain areas have their own private lines, or alternatively it may be a no. for an external agency as lots of debts are being outsourced.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Do you mean unavailable or is it just engaged?
  • fogartyblue.
    fogartyblue. Posts: 482 Forumite
    I honestly thought they had made a monumental cockup and I felt no compulsion to 'sort it out'. Why then has it taken four years without any contact - letter, phone call, email to let me know this is what they were planning to do. If it has gone to a Mag Court why wasnt I inolved. Do I not have the right of defence or is it a foregone conclusion. Them against me. And now I have to '!!!' around with a letter and an attempted phone call - I do not have a choice. I am perhaps not as confrontational as your good self. They have to prove beyond that I owe this money. How can they say that without consulting at all in all the nine years. You must be very very proud of your Dad as he appears to have passed alot of his lifes experiences on to you.

I would rather go to prison than pay what I dont owe. And they can call on me at any time - early or late and they wont get anything - I dont even have the 50p to give them let alone £5K. If I wasnt so scared I would laugh.

You also sound a very spiteful man with perhaps alot of experience. I have NO experience and am one hell of a frightened lady

For a start I am not trying to frighten you, just point out the ins and outs and what they can/may/will do. Much better to know your enemy than not!

As I said, when you first became aware of it you did not force the issue with them.

You are responsible in proving that you don't owe the money, not the other way round!

They are not required to 'ask you nicely if you would be so kind as to pop along to the local Magistrates Court so that you could all discuss the matter over a cup of tea!'

You are at the end of the road - this is the last thing that they need do. The next step will be a visit.

All I can suggest you do is get on the telephone on Tuesday

Try these numbers
    or 08453000627

Both of those are not for your use, but you will get to speak to someone and then you must blag it and ask them for help. On the whole they will put themselves out for you, but could tell you to b***er o**!!!

Then try this link, put in your PC/town etc and it will give details of the local HMRC office. Get yourself down there and don't leave until you get somewhere.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/enq/index.htm
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    Not helpful and not supportive.

The OP has buried their head in the sand for 4 years. Why does someone who manufactures their own demise deserve support?
  • wheezy57
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Do you mean unavailable or is it just engaged?
    Unvailable - all day. Two other call centre guys tried the same number and it was unavailable to them as well.
  • wheezy57
    The OP has buried their head in the sand for 4 years. Why does someone who manufactures their own demise deserve support?
    God another one. Are you all crawling out of the woodwork when someone asks for advice/help/support. To put you straight I havent buried my head in the sand. If you had read my posts you would get a clearer picture of the situation.
  • wheezy57
    For a start I am not trying to frighten you, just point out the ins and outs and what they can/may/will do. Much better to know your enemy than not!

As I said, when you first became aware of it you did not force the issue with them.

You are responsible in proving that you don't owe the money, not the other way round!

They are not required to 'ask you nicely if you would be so kind as to pop along to the local Magistrates Court so that you could all discuss the matter over a cup of tea!'

You are at the end of the road - this is the last thing that they need do. The next step will be a visit.

All I can suggest you do is get on the telephone on Tuesday

Try these numbers
    or 08453000627

Both of those are not for your use, but you will get to speak to someone and then you must blag it and ask them for help. On the whole they will put themselves out for you, but could tell you to b***er o**!!!

Then try this link, put in your PC/town etc and it will give details of the local HMRC office. Get yourself down there and don't leave until you get somewhere.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/enq/index.htm
    After many many phone calls it would turn out that way back in 2008 when I asked (one couldnt print them off on the pc then) for a form - TC846 to be sent and it didnt arrive so I left it. I got on with things. I did not bury my head in the sand. I did not ignore it. It all fizzled out. Now, because the form didnt arrive I didnt officially dispute the debt. Four years on with NO COMMUNICATION from them whatsoever I now find m yself in the position that I am in.

Please dont be so crass as to suggest that 'they may ask me nicely to go to the Mag Court. But I have lived here for 6 years, they know my address, telephone number and I take messages. What is hard about that way of informing me of the current situation.

During the phone calls it also came out that various - not just one amount - various large sums had been paid to me by Giro!!! For three years!! Going by your post - its now up to me to prove them wrong. I dont have the resources they have, or indeed the contacts, 'private numbers' or otherwise. Oh and yes. I will prove them wrong.

I have already found out yesterday where my local HMRC office is. Shut till Tuesday. I would love to sit down there and wait until it gets sorted out but I work FULL TIME and I would lose my job if I then upsticks and said I was going to have a sit-in in my local tax office.
    That my friend is not a viable option right now. Nor is the CAB office either.

The only person that has come through for me is the local MPs' secreretary. When I say 'come through', I mean she replied to me plea and told me what he needs to help me with this case. I am doing just that. Award notices from 2003, bank statements etc.

It would appear that alot of people who have read my posts are in fact of the mind that they are reading about some sort of scummy scammer lowlife in a bit of a spot. I am not any of those things. I am a middle aged lady with yet another battle to sort out. I work full time and hard for my pitiful earnings. I drive a clapped out car. I dont use the heating. I dont eat well. I never ever buy clothes, I never ever go out. I dont smoke. I never ever get my hair cut. Does that paint a different picture. Not all posters are unkind and spiteful though - Icequeen and justtrying have been very helpful and supportive.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wonder if Payplan is open today?

Call Payplan free on 0800 280 2816

They do give advice free over the phone so it may be worth giving them a call to see if they have any advice.
  • wheezy57 wrote: »
    After many many phone calls it would turn out that way back in 2008 when I asked (one couldnt print them off on the pc then) for a form - TC846 to be sent and it didnt arrive so I left it. I got on with things. I did not bury my head in the sand. I did not ignore it. It all fizzled out. Now, because the form didnt arrive I didnt officially dispute the debt. Four years on with NO COMMUNICATION from them whatsoever I now find m yself in the position that I am in.

It seems that I am not getting through to you.

Put simply:

(1) in 2008 you were made aware of a problem that you had with owing money to HMRC.
    (2) You asked for a form that never arrived.
    (3) You got on with things when it didn't arrive.

You didn't bury your head in the sand - You didn't ignore the problem???

What did you do then?

From what I see - absolutely nothing and assumed that it had all gone away!!!

Where are the follow up phone calls that you didn't make?
    Where are the follow up letters that you didn't write & post?

You knew that there was a problem but because you hadn't heard anymore from HMRC you did what?

Please dont be so crass as to suggest that 'they may ask me nicely to go to the Mag Court. But I have lived here for 6 years, they know my address, telephone number and I take messages. What is hard about that way of informing me of the current situation.

During the phone calls it also came out that various - not just one amount - various large sums had been paid to me by Giro!!! For three years!! Going by your post - its now up to me to prove them wrong. I dont have the resources they have, or indeed the contacts, 'private numbers' or otherwise. Oh and yes. I will prove them wrong.

I have already found out yesterday where my local HMRC office is. Shut till Tuesday. I would love to sit down there and wait until it gets sorted out but I work FULL TIME and I would lose my job if I then upsticks and said I was going to have a sit-in in my local tax office.
    That my friend is not a viable option right now. Nor is the CAB office either.

The only person that has come through for me is the local MPs' secreretary. When I say 'come through', I mean she replied to me plea and told me what he needs to help me with this case. I am doing just that. Award notices from 2003, bank statements etc.

It would appear that alot of people who have read my posts are in fact of the mind that they are reading about some sort of scummy scammer lowlife in a bit of a spot. I am not any of those things. I am a middle aged lady with yet another battle to sort out. I work full time and hard for my pitiful earnings. I drive a clapped out car. I dont use the heating. I dont eat well. I never ever buy clothes, I never ever go out. I dont smoke. I never ever get my hair cut. Does that paint a different picture. Not all posters are unkind and spiteful though - Icequeen and justtrying have been very helpful and supportive.

I'm sorry but in my opinion you have failed to take action about the debt for 4 years.

But your argument is that 'HMRC didn't send me the form, and I heard nothing more from them - so I got on with my life and ignored the situation'

You cannot go round blaming HMRC with this, it is not for them to hold your hand - you should have been proactive!

Yes there is a Distraint Warrant which says that on the available evidence before the court you owe the money!

It's not for anybody to push you along to sort it out - you have responsibilities both to yourself and to HMRC which you clearly haven't engaged in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure