Reasonable cost would be for a tradesperson to replace an old broken storage heater?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable cost would be for a tradesperson to replace an old broken storage heater (Dimplex XL18 in size - 12 bricks) with a new one of the same size? Source new one, replace existing one and take old one away.

Also does anyone know of the difference between say a Dimplex XL18 and a Creda TSR18 Storage heater. I have been told Dimplex actually own Creda and the internals of both are exactly the same, however the Creda is cheaper.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't know where you live or whether you're in a flat etc., but I would have thought you'd be talking near £600.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • wookie6
    wookie6 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply, south of England and a first floor flat (does the flat make a difference due to having to lug the bricks up and down stairs?)

Presumably the £600 you mention does include the price of the Storage heater?
  • I can still get spares for an XL18 heater - that's why Dimplex are good
    What's wrong with it?
    baldly going on...
  • wookie6
    Its not actually a Dimplex XL18, I was just using that as an example of the heaters size as I believe you can still buy Dimplex XL18 Storage Heaters.
  • What is the model number- usually on the side?
    baldly going on...
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    To supply, fit and remove the old, I would expect between £500 and £600. The replacement is about £400, and it should take about three to six hours to collect the replacement, get it upstairs, swop it over and remove the old one, depending on whether the spark has an apprentice or a labourer to help with all the lifting.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • wookie6
    What is the model number- usually on the side?

Thanks for the replies, however I don't have the exact number to hand, I have however been told that spare parts are no longer available the model in question.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    It might be cheaper to source the heater yourself and get it delivered. Otherwise, you're paying electrician's time for the collection etc. And he'll just use nearest rather than cheapest. If you're reasonably competent at DIY, you might even be able to fit it yourself.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • wookie6 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, however I don't have the exact number to hand, I have however been told that spare parts are no longer available the model in question.

Can you post a photo?
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family