PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours ball damaging fence.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    PhilE wrote: »
    The kids are pretty young, and there's a toddler and baby next door, I wouldn't use that mosquito device to be honest.

Thanks for the recommendation on the tree though, looks ideal.

The Mosquito wasn't a serious suggestion, but the local Co-op in a suburb where I used to live, used low volume operatic music to great effect for keeping its doorway and immediate surrounds clear.

I grew several of the eucalyptus from seed and found them faster than leylandii. They'll be chopped-down when other trees I've planted are large enough to have more presence. Not sure when/if they stop!
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    In the space of 12 hours there have been 2 heavy leather balls over my Mums fence. If one were to hit her on the head, it'll hurt and perhaps injure her.

Then I will completely lose patience, which I'm very near to doing.

I'll chat to the council on Monday. Surely if there is a threat of injury they will offer assistance.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I hope your mum didnt give them back. Have you spoken to your local pcso? They might have a chat with him.
  • Cautionary note on eucalyptus tree - I understand they are trees in the same nuisance category as leylandii.

.....and I do recall my last hairdresser telling me she was under instruction from her insurance company to get rid of the one in her back garden - and she had to do so.:cool: That thing about insurance companies often not being happy about trees that close to a house they are insuring. I gather the rough "rule of thumb" as to how far a tree can fall (and whack the nearest house one) is they can fall as far as their height basically.

Hence I've made sure the trees I've put in are destined to be on the short side anyway and are rather further from my house than their height could ever get to be.
  • PhilE
    edited 1 July 2017 at 3:39PM
    m0bov wrote: »
    I hope your mum didnt give them back. Have you spoken to your local pcso? They might have a chat with him.

Thats a good suggestion. I'll see if there's one in my area and have a chat with them.

No, the balls have not been returned. I live close by, if he knocks on my mums door to ask for them back, I'll come round to have a chat about things.

The advice by the police on the matter https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q719.htm?letter=N

They say to return the balls back or face prosecution. My mum is in her 70's and cant throw 2 balls per day over a 6ft fence, after they have nearly hit her.
    Also, my priority is her not getting hit by a heavy ball and having an accident as a result.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    =moneyistooshorttomention;72775705

.....and I do recall my last hairdresser telling me she was under instruction from her insurance company to get rid of the one in her back garden - and she had to do so....

I was going to ask how the insurers knew it was there, but then I saw she's a hairdresser, which explains everything!

I think Douglas Adams got it about right with hairdressers. ;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2017 at 5:54PM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I was going to ask how the insurers knew it was there, but then I saw she's a hairdresser, which explains everything!

I think Douglas Adams got it about right with hairdressers. ;)

That thought didnt even cross my mind to ask her actually...

I'm assuming that either:
    a. They asked her in some standard form as to whether there was such a tree there and she was truthful in her response

OR

b. Maybe a neighbour knew who her insurer was and told them.

I'm guessing it was a. - as my experience of her was that she was an honest/straightforward sort of person.:), Also I seem to remember myself that it's a question some insurers ask (ie as to how close trees are to the house) - as I've wondered what one answers if the answer is "I'm absolutely fine. None of MY trees are too close/too tall - but a neighbour has got one of THEIR trees within that radius". As, after all, what a neighbour gets up to is not under one's direct control....

Unfortunately - as there's been another teensy bit of chav behaviour yet again today by one of my nfh. Fortunately yesterday's example of their behaviour was imposed on an "innocent" neighbour of mine - so it didn't affect me personally.
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    PhilE wrote: »
    In the space of 12 hours there have been 2 heavy leather balls over my Mums fence. If one were to hit her on the head, it'll hurt and perhaps injure her.

Then I will completely lose patience, which I'm very near to doing.

I'll chat to the council on Monday. Surely if there is a threat of injury they will offer assistance.

I have the same problem with a neighbour, nice family but I'm fed up with leather footballs coming over the wall, I've small dogs and children running about the garden and I'm seriously worried about them being hit by one of the balls. I have found a temporary solution though, one of the balls accidentally landed in dog poo before I managed to pick it up and it was thrown back over the wall with the poo still attached, I've not had another ball over since that happened.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I used to have this problem in a rented property. When balls came over I genuinely didn't realise immediately, especially if I was at work. They'd get them back eventually...

But it did damage the fence, knocked a hole out of the bottom. Then the boys' mum told me that it was up to my landlady to fix it as it was her fence. They were worried that their new puppy would then get through....

Not my battle but in case my landlady ever needed it I took a video once of the ball hitting the fence, no faces of anyone in it of course, to illustrate how the damage happened.
  • PhilE
    Right, this is still going on and Im fuming. Another ball has come over and its damaged plants. Right now, he says one thing to me and I might get a bit angry.

Thinking of writing a letter to keep it polite and to the point, followed by another letter saying 'if it continues, I'll be forced to take legal action.'

Right now if I speak with him a lot of anger is going to come up, which could be detrimental, I'm not always around to look at my mums property.

Any advice appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport