PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• closemead
    closemead Posts: 45 Forumite
    Last minute request to join in please I always start this challenge with great intentions and slip off the band wagon. I need to rein in the spending as my husband can't work at the moment due to illness so things are tight. Please can you put me down for £300 This is to feed 7 of us 2 adults 5 kiddies 13,11,10,8 and 6. The cupboards are fulll so this should easily be done.
    March G.C. £300 fail 🙄
    April G.C. £380
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Restocked on a few essentials for the coming week so £10.31/£100. I shouldn't need anything now until next week when the bananas run out. Can't run out of bananas due to a 4 year old despot in the house.
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in again. But warning I may be grouchy. Trying to give up my six a day Pepsi habit. Will save a lot of money but I already have a splitting headache.

I'm away for 2 weeks of the challenge so hoping to come in significantly under budget. The freezer is loaded with meals and prepped sandwiches for DH while I'm away and I left him with fruit etc. so if he buys anything it's coming out of his budget.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Just been to Morries, and done my big shop of the month. Came back with four heavy bags, for the sum total of £20.22.
    It is only me, so this should last, apart from the usual top ups of fresh fruit and veg, milk and bread. I don't eat meat - have been a veggie for nearly 40 years.
    Lots of my items are in the Savers range - perfectly adequate I find - even 6 cans of cat food for my fussy old lady cat, who is so picky but loves this. (6 for £2.15!)

So, this leaves me £19.78 to last until the end of the month. Creative cookery using all the stuff lurking in the cupboards, fridge and freezer should do it.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Hello everyone. Would it be ok if I join in? I have been a lurker here for years and think it is about time I came out of the woodwork!:)

Things have gotten rather out of control recently shopping wise so I really need to make a huge effort to reign it in.

I know it seems a huge amount but I would like to set my budget at £400 for March. This is to feed 2 adults and 2 children and includes the cat's food as we buy it from the supermarket. Also includes all toiletries and cleaning products. Alcohol is accounted for in a seperate budget, as is the dog and rabbit food and supplies.

I love reading the challlenge each month, you are all so inspiring!
  • Lauralozzle
    Lauralozzle Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Reporting a NSD for today! :j
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Hi may I join?
    I'd like to stick to my regular monthly budget of £120, but it will be a challenge this month because of the five weeks, my month will go from 27th Feb to 2nd April.
    My budget includes toiletries and nappies for 2 babes.
    I've already done my first shop which came in at £32.54/£120 and included nappies and some dry goods for later this month. :D
    Sealed pot challenge 10 - 123 : )
    It all started with a penny and a pot..
    MFW 2017 #107 £934.50/£3000
    Remaining balance £157,719.60
  • LesP50
    LesP50 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Sainsb delivery 43.45 ( I had an 18 off 60 voucher & delivery was 1) and 11.53 in Aldi so 54.98 /175 = 120.02 but the cupboards are full :)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 2 March 2017 at 12:21AM
    March hasn't started yet but will go from the 1st to the 31st. Please put us down for £155. Two people, just food and drink, not alcohol though as different budget.
    Spent £26.56 so far. This included a 1kg net of red onions for 40p and a box of 6 mangoes for £3 - large mangoes and not a one near ripe but reduced due to date on box! Also stocked up on rice, miso, tamari etc.

Dinner : pancakes (OH), vegetable curry and rice (me).

Tofu is out of the freezer in the fridge for sweet and sour vegetable tofu, rice and seaweed that is for tomorrow.

£26.56/£155.
    £128.44 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Spent £26.56 so far. This included a 1kg net of red onions for 40p and a box of 6 mangoes for £3 - large mangoes and not a one near ripe but reduced due to date on box! Also stocked up on rice, miso, tamari etc.

Dinner : pancakes (OH), vegetable curry and rice (me).

Tofu is out of the freezer in the fridge for sweet and sour vegetable tofu, rice and seaweed that is for tomorrow.

£26.56/£155.
    £128.44 left.

How do you store your tofu in the freezer please? I've read it helps "firm it up", and being quite lazy, I like the idea of this!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport