Sorry if this question has been asked over and over

I remember in 90s credit cards issued by Nationwide, Co Operative, Post Office and ?Victoria BS Liverpool could be used internationally and free from commission for use (This did not include for cash withdrawals fro ATM).

Lately as I understand Nationwide still has this commission free for use in EU. (Advice given is that when paying to tell them to charge in local currency so that the conversion will be inter-bank exchange rate bar commission allow some savings)

A trip is plan to visit Hong Kong in July. Does anyone know of a credit card worth applying for, to use in Hong Kong rather than taking cash in Pounds or converted Hong Kong currency..

I thank you for your suggestion
Regards

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There's a helpful MSE article summarising all the best options at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards
  • snowshine
    snowshine Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2017 at 5:14PM
    I am looking at "Starling bank" form this site. Seems to fulfil my needs... needs further reading though

17.07 hours..
    It seems the best option to have an account with Starling Bank, as all other cards will have foreign currency use fees. Also with this bank account ATM overseas withdrawals will not incur a fees.(Albeit the money you take out is your own not credit). This is more like a debit card or preloaded card.
    I feel one should not to load too much since one could online get onto their regular bank anywhere in world and transfer the amount needed in sterling pound into this account.

Metro Bank would be similar but will only fee free in Europe and for the rest of the world 2.5% charge applies.

Nationwide Credit card is what I use in Europe and now I will stop it because it is now charging for overseas use!!
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    snowshine wrote: »
    I am looking at "Starling bank" form this site. Seems to fulfil my needs... needs further reading though

17.07 hours..
    It seems the best option to have an account with Starling Bank, as all other cards will have foreign currency use fees. Also with this bank account ATM overseas withdrawals will not incur a fees.(Albeit the money you take out is your own not credit). This is more like a debit card or preloaded card.
    I feel one should not to load too much since one could online get onto their regular bank anywhere in world and transfer the amount needed in sterling pound into this account.

Metro Bank would be similar but will only fee free in Europe and for the rest of the world 2.5% charge applies.

Nationwide Credit card is what I use in Europe and now I will stop it because it is now charging for overseas use!!

Did you even bother to read the link which was posted above? :huh:

It would have saved you wasting time reading and given you the answers there and then.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • snowshine
    snowshine Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2017 at 2:15PM
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Did you even bother to read the link which was posted above? :huh:

It would have saved you wasting time reading and given you the answers there and then.

Hello,
    OK I understand what you mean. I just over looked. sorry

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills