PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone else make their own clothes

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    kittie wrote: »
    I am going to make some tops for myself, gore-tex type but lighter etc but getting patterns in the uk is well nigh impossible

try https://www.jalie.com

their patterns are great, as they cover such a large range of sizes in one pattern, so its easy to draft between sizes., adding room where you need it

im sure there is now a stockist of them in the UK - i tend to order my patterns through coops on yahoo though, as its sooo much cheaper

As for fabrics https://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk are great for the sort of things you will need

hth Flea
  • caleo
    caleo Posts: 345 Forumite
    Just wondered how your "proud mum" day went? I hope all went well and that you all had a lovely day!!

Caleo
  • Oh caleo thank you so much for thinking of me!! We had a lovely time, thanks, and yes I was the proud mum with tears in her eyes as my gorgeous boy got his degree certificate. I was very pleased with the way my new dress held up too, was very comfortable and it didn't crease too much, even for linen. Am shattered today though, it's a fair way to drive and the motorway was pretty bad on the way back due to a horrible accident with about three lorries, poor souls. Thank you again:kisses3:

kittie that's a horrendous price for a nightie :eek: even one made from Liberty lawn! I'm so glad I sew!

I would second the Jalie pattern suggestion, they have a huge size range in one envelope and are very well fitting. Our old friends habithat sell them over here. I have also bought from Point North (in its previous incarnation?) and Pennine Outdoor, their fabrics are good, I would advise getting samples though because the websites are not very clear. Justmakeit are also very good and helpful if you have any queries. Good luck finding what you need.

katieowl that's great that you have a daughter who doesn't mind you sewing for her! LOL my own DD is very sniffy about home made stuff but I notice that if I do make her anything, it does get worn. She has also sadly inherited her mother's buxom figure so I have the same sort of concerns. I must have a ferret about in some of our charity shops, I have never seen fabrics or patterns on sale in any of them but as you say, there may be some golden nuggets being squirrelled away in the back rooms.

purpleivy the dance costumes sound great, and that is another area where you save loads by sewing your own. Have a great holiday.

Got another depressing email today from one of the US suppliers I have bought from in the past announcing their closedown due to recession etc. I'm lucky that I have a reasonable amount of fabric living at home with me but I am wondering what will happen in the future - I have not bought any clothes for years (apart from undies) and the thought of not being able to buy fabric for more is a bit depressing.

Mrs F xx
  • Pengwern16
    Pengwern16 Posts: 71 Forumite
    ...I've got round to updating my sewing blog. I really enjoy sewing especially dressmaking and cross stitch, and I set up this blog to document what I'm making for me and to share with others.
    Please feel free to take a look, the address is

www.pwythaupengwern.blogspot.com

I'm going back to the sewing class in September - can't wait!!
    Cymru am Byth!
  • abusybee
    abusybee Posts: 168 Forumite
    Hi again.

Mrs F - Glad you had a good day on tuesday.

Katieowl - I know what you mean about finding stuff to fit when big busted. The shops rule tends to be that you have to be a large person to have a big bust and then they gape in odd places. The bra industry has finally cottoned on so maybe the clothing one will follow suit sooner rather than later.

I have been back to Abakahn fabrics this morning. I should have stayed away as I would have been a little richer if I had. just bought loads more fabric although some of it was a bargin roughly about 2meters each of 3 different fabrics all bound togeather for 50p!!! Also got a bead set to make my own jewelllery. That was half price at £2.50. Spent £15 in total but cant complain as I would be lucky to get a nice top for that in the shops
    :heart2::rotfl: :rotfl: :heart2:I LOVE A BARGIN:heart2: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    TIME TO START SHOPPING FOR NEXT CHRISTMAS
    :dance: I LOVE THE SALES!!!!!:dance:
  • flea72
    abusybee wrote: »
    Hi again.

Mrs F - Glad you had a good day on tuesday.

Katieowl - I know what you mean about finding stuff to fit when big busted. The shops rule tends to be that you have to be a large person to have a big bust and then they gape in odd places. The bra industry has finally cottoned on so maybe the clothing one will follow suit sooner rather than later.

i would def recommend bravissimo, they have clothing that is cut depending on how curvy you are. Its a little bit expensive, but worth it just to be able to wear a blouse that doesnt gap at every buttonhole, or have a dress that fits right all the way down

Tracy
  • abusybee
    thanks flea72. I have a bravissimo catalogue but think that it is really expensive which is why i have started to make my own again not that i will have much time, unless sewing at night time, now it is the school holidays
  • flea72
    abusybee wrote: »
    thanks flea72. I have a bravissimo catalogue but think that it is really expensive which is why i have started to make my own again not that i will have much time, unless sewing at night time, now it is the school holidays

for those of us with a large bust, rather than just make it in a bigger size, the easiest way to alter a pattern to fit, is to do a full bust adjustment (FBA)

the following link is a good method, as it doesnt involve any changes to the armhole

http://www.timmelfabrics.com/fullbustalteration.htm

Flea
  • abusybee
    flea72 wrote: »
    for those of us with a large bust, rather than just make it in a bigger size, the easiest way to alter a pattern to fit, is to do a full bust adjustment (FBA)

the following link is a good method, as it doesnt involve any changes to the armhole

http://www.timmelfabrics.com/fullbustalteration.htm

Flea

Thank you very much for the link. It is very helpfull. I will let you know how I get on if I find time to sew. Thanks again.:T
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello everyone just had to tell you about my new blouse i`ve got .I altered it from a top i got in the sale from M & S. It was a smock type,open to just under the bust fastened with buttons,then the fabric was gathered underneath the bust at the front.Its lovely fabric but the trouble was i looked like a barrel in it,lol, not being tall and shall i say rounded!
    Anyway, i cut down the centre, unpicked the gathering and took it out - if you understand what i mean - then sewed it all back up.With fabric left from the gathering i made 2 ties and put them on the front under were the buttons finished.
    Result is lovely floaty type blouse to wear with a sleeveless top and skirt.
    I`m very pleased with myself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure