bankruptcy / official receiver

Options
filed for bankruptcy tues and papers have been passed to london instead of chatham office, is this anything to worry about? also car worth 1000 acc to parkers but more on other sites, do you think i can keep it, need it to see kids plus partner uses it

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Lou and welcome to the forum.

I don't see any significance in your case being attributed to one particular office over another.

As for your car, many Official Receivers will disregard vehicles worth up to £2,000 and more where circumstances justify it. If you can demonstrate a reasonable need for the car it should be feasible to keep it.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    Usually if it's a different office your locyour al one (chatham) may be overloaded with cases and they'll send stuff to a quieter one instead.
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Phil says they pass cases to quieter offices if they are busy.

Regarding the car, do you use it for work purposes? How far are your kids?

Dennis @ National Debtline please can you confirm that the allowance has gone up to £2k as it always used to be £1k with some flexibility for up to £1.5k ish.

Louspage may I ask who you took bankruptcy advice from?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    I also was under the impression the allowance was 1000, used to be 2000 when I went BR 6 years ago but that figure was reduced to 1000, not seen anywhere that it has been increased again.
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi TF & dojoman

There isn't a set figure per se, just based on anecdotal experience. Ultimately one OR may apply their discretion differently to another and each bankrupt's circumstances will vary.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • standalone
    Options
    When I had my face to face with the rep for the OR I asked the question what was the maximum value of a car it would it be acceptable to get holding on to if a good enough case could be made to do so.
    I was told that is not something that would be disclosed to a bankrupt by the office of the OR.
    Charming I thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport