PPI and Claims Advisory Group...

Comments

• sammieking
    sammieking Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi guys or experts, quick question on these sites they claim it only takes 12 weeks to 18 months to complete process what happens if 18 months turns into 32 months is that deemed as unfair contract terms and if their contract expires after 18 months are they supposed to tell you why or just when they can be bothered?
  • HAL_9000_2
    HAL_9000_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2015 at 10:07PM
    PPI is scandal in it's own right the claims compaines are just a big a scandal, they can earn thousands of pounds taking 39% of what one is due by way of compensation by just sticking a stamp on an envelope. This maybe a bigger scandal given there high pressure tactics, I have done all my PPI complaints myself its easy and straight forward DON'T USE THEM!

Marty...
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think you are right, HAL_9000.

Whilst, in many cases PPI policies were unsuitable, a lot were - particularly for mortgages.

Generally, too, the sellers believed the products "added value" for their customers. Obviously, in a lot of cases they didn't - and the adage that it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are sincere is clearly nonsense.

However, it was, on the whole (though probably not exclusively) an honest mistake.

CMCs know, though, that consumers can do it themselves - really for no more effort than doing it through a CMC. In most cases all it needs is an e-mail.

However, they hide this from the consumer and, put in complaints that bear no relation to reality. In my experience, even complaining about policies that never existed.

Earlier this week I reported one to the Claims Regulator for putting in a complaint which not only was untrue but, when I telephoned their client, I found was completely different to what they said the complaint would be.
  • I kind of wish I had read this a while ago, but to be honest I could not be bothered, I was so sick of ppi phone calls that I eventually gave in and said go ahead, CAG did indeed have all my bank details, and claimed to be working with TSB, I was very skeptical about what info I gave them. In the phone call they said all I had to do was sign some form a courier would bring and that was it.

So I did.

Then I got a load of forms sent to me from the bank i presume, which I just threw in the bin, as after all, CAG had said "ALL I HAVE TO DO IS SIGN A FEW FORMS".

I didnt expect to get any ppi back, and to be honest, I didnt really care about it, but today I got a letter saying I will be getting check or payment to account, also I got a phone call from CAG saying the same and that I owed them £400 or something like that.

I know that I am being robbed, but if I get £5-600 for something that I was not going to persue myself, great...

I assumed that they would take the cash and send me the diference, but when they said, I have to pay them seperaste I became concerned as that is how scams work, they give you a fake check that clears in the bank, you pay them, a few months later the cheque bounces....

From reading this forumn I get the imression that CAG is real and not a "scam" as such, but I became concerned also at some people talking about cancelation fees and CAG going off and doing other searchs and then sending bills...

As far as I am concerned, money gets paid to my bank, I pay them, our contract is finished... is that the case?

I know why some people get annoyed, when you see the money in your bank, it hurts to pay them half of it, but if they had just taken there half first, there would be no problem. Provided there is no scam, I will pay them (with an amount tears mind you).
  • Scammed25 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm new here and desperately seeking advice so I really hope someone is able to help me.

I am one of the muppets who fell for the Claims Advisory Group pitch and completed the initial lot of forms that they sent. I don't remember completing anything else and I am unclear (can't remember as it was so long ago) whether I have signed the doc that gives them permission to approach the FOS on your behalf - I guess I could find this out by submitted a personal Data request to them under the Data Protection act?? I have many blank copies of requests asking me to sign this form (which I haven't returned) but they constantly send duplicates and I just can't remember if I ever did sign one or not.

My bank sent me a letter saying they would only deal with CAG if I signed the form they sent me stating that CAG would act on my behalf. I did not sign this form. So all communication has been with me directly and not included CAG at all.

Anyway, as it happens I have been successful in my claim and I don't want to part with any of this to CAG - [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] all they have done is submitted the forms which if I had been a bit more 'with it', I would have done myself for free!! They have not negotiated any terms with my bank therefore can I argue that there is no consideration on the contract? Particularly if I didn't sign the FOS form in the first place?

I know I've been really stupid - to be honest, I never thought I would be successful but I have. I just want to know if there is a getout from this. I am also going to speak to Citizens advice but if anyone can help here I would be immensely grateful.

Many thanks for reading.
    i have had them deal with my ppi,there site has been under maintenance since 1012 so i cant log in to sort thing or find things out so i dont know whats going on with them
  • ive been dealing with claims advisory group been trying since 2012 to log into my account with them online but all i get is the site is under maintenance what since 1012 unreal they are
  • I also have fallen into CAG's trap I did not know that they wanted a huge % in payment I also did not know that I had to pay them I stupidly thought they took there payment and I just got the remaining amount.
    But what really bugs the hell out of me is that I had a letter from the bank saying they wouldn't deal with them then a few days later got a text message from CAG stating that there was insufficient evidence to make a claim and that they were CLOSING THE CASE and if I had anymore evidence in the future to contact them and they would look at it again........so I left it at that.
    Then 2 months later my bank sent me a cheque directly Then CAG crawled out of the woodwork wanting 2600.00 pound I nearly fell through the floor. 3 phone calls a day to my landline and mobile for weeks when I finally had enough I wrote to them stating the above that I had text saying case closed the denied sending it so I emailed it back too them still denied it and too this day I am still getting phone call after phone call from them or related companies they are a nuisance and very rude
    So if anyone can help me I would be grateful
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Rara3520 wrote: »
    So if anyone can help me I would be grateful
    If you don't pay them, the next stage is that they will set debt collectors on you. Your credit rating will be trashed and ultimately you will end up in court.

It doesn't matter if they wrote or texted you that the case was closed due to lack of evidence, if the Bank subsequently paid you redress in response to a complaint instigated by them on your behalf then you owe this firm whatever % you agreed to pay them.

How can you say you didn't know how much the % was and also that you thought your redress would have the Claim Company's fee deducted prior to you receiving it?

You signed a contract with this firm and should have read the terms first.

The redress comes from the Bank direct to you, Banks don't employ Claim companies-people like yourself do. You employed them and so you have to pay them.

I'm no fan of claim companies, but the catalogue of misunderstandings you list are no one's fault but your own.

Much as it galls me to say it, you have no alternative but to pay them.
  • I would make a complaint to them that as they said they were closing the case they effectively terminated your contract so that now trying to charge a fee is fraudulent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would make a complaint to them that as they said they were closing the case they effectively terminated your contract
    One problem is that they said if the evidence turned up they would re-open the case.They also denied ever sending the text.

Worth a punt I suppose.
    First make a formal complaint to Claims Advisory Group and if they reject your concerns you can go to the Legal Ombudsman
    If you have received poor service from a CMC and you wish to make a complaint against them, you must first make a complaint to that organisation and give them eight weeks to deal with your complaint.
    https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/cmc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport