PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Using frozen fruit to make jelly, ice lollies, etc

Options
Hello

We have a freezer full of blackcurrants, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries you name it we've got it!

So far we haven't put it to good use, but I need to start doing something as not only is it a waste, there will be a new lot this year.

I would like to know if I can use it to make jelly, the wobbly kind you have with ice cream:D also ice cream (I have an ice cream maker) ice lollies (there is a theme here I know all kinds of nice yummer summer food) and smoothies.

If so then if you could direct me to some good recipes that would be great!

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I recently made raspberry sorbet using 1 lb last years raspberries, 4 and a half oz icing sugar and the juice of a lemon. It was very tasty! The original recipe was for strawberries, so although I haven't tried those, they'd work too.

You can adjust the amounts to what you want to make/how much fruit you need to use up - I halved the recipe to the amount shown above as I only have a tiny ice cream maker.

HTH
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Glamazon
    Glamazon Posts: 8,401 Forumite
    Options
    whenever I make a smoothie I put loads of different fruits in and then use frozen blackberrys, blackcurrents, raspberrys or cherries. They make it go a lovely purple colour and you can't taste minging things like Avocado in them!

Any leftovers I freeze in lolly moulds so I have frozen smoothie lollys - delish!!

Also, some frozen fruit is lovely as a snack - I freeze grapes and then eat them straight from the freezer. Very sweet and healthy!
    A very busy Yummy Mummy to a 1 year old gorgeous boy :smileyhea

Where does the time go? :think:
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just found a bag of frozen strawberries from last year too - so think I'll try the sorbet one - do you have to keep taking it out of the freezer and stirring it?
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Quillion
    Quillion Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    Its nice to get frozen fruit out part defrost and then melt chocolate and drizzle over the fruit. Yummy especially with White chocolate.
    :beer: Officially Debt Free Nov 2012 :beer:
  • TomandBarbara
    Options
    Think I'll have to get experimenting!
  • TomandBarbara
    Options
    Made a smoothie last week using some frozen strawberries, and fresh kiwi and pear. I thought it was quite nice but o/h thought it was a bit icy :confused: due to using the frozen fruit. Should I have defrosted them first!? It does say I can add frozen ingredients.

Finally got round to using the ice cream maker yesterday to make some banana ice cream as had a few very ripe bananas, it was quite nice!

Still not too sure how to make ice lollys though......could I defrost some frozen fruit, blitz it and then just stick in a lolly mould!?
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can make jelly with fruit in by stewing it with sugar and a little water and then adding gelatine, or you could puree the sweetened stewed fruit first.
    If you are vegetarian then gelazone or similar is probably better than agar agar, as the latter does set fruit etc but gives a very different texture.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easiest way to make a fruit lolly is to halve a banana, stick a stick in each half vertically, wrap in foil or cling film and freeze. It has a real creaminess to it and is good for vegans too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure