Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karrtastrophe
    • By Karrtastrophe 19th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Karrtastrophe
    Do I have to pay??
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    Do I have to pay?? 19th Jun 17 at 3:17 PM
    We were given work phones 12mth ago so as to record our client visits which is now required by our local council. Basically we beep in and out and it records that we've attended the call and for how long. The other day I dropped the phone, which had a gorilla cover on it which I bought myself to prevent damage, it hit the edge of a rug and landed on a tiled floor and the screen shattered.... argh!! It is still functioning perfectly but for the cracked screen. I've contacted my employer who had said I've to pay £120 to have the phone fixed and this will come from my wages. I don't have that much spare cash and if it was my own personal phone I wouldn't pay that much but I also have insurance should it ever happen. The same phone retails at £40. Can I refuse to pay so much?
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    We were given work phones 12mth ago so as to record our client visits which is now required by our local council. Basically we beep in and out and it records that we've attended the call and for how long. The other day I dropped the phone, which had a gorilla cover on it which I bought myself to prevent damage, it hit the edge of a rug and landed on a tiled floor and the screen shattered.... argh!! It is still functioning perfectly but for the cracked screen. I've contacted my employer who had said I've to pay £120 to have the phone fixed and this will come from my wages. I don't have that much spare cash and if it was my own personal phone I wouldn't pay that much but I also have insurance should it ever happen. The same phone retails at £40. Can I refuse to pay so much?
    Originally posted by Karrtastrophe

Yes if the phone isn't worth £120 you can dispute it, but if one retails for £40, couldn't you just buy that and have them put on any software
    • Karrtastrophe
    • By Karrtastrophe 19th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Karrtastrophe
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    That's what I've asked but I've been told no by my employer....?? :/
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    That's what I've asked but I've been told no by my employer....?? :/

Raise a grievance, it's fairly straight forward, your employer should not profit from this.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 19th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    In theory they can only charge you what it actually costs them. However, it may be with custom software etc they are only willing to have their equipment worked on / configured by their approved contractor. That may not be unreasonable and could easily cost £120 when done in a commercial environment.

How long have you worked for this employer and is it really wise to get involved in a dispute over the 80 quid difference?
    • Karrtastrophe
    • By Karrtastrophe 19th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Karrtastrophe
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    I understand what you mean and no I wouldn't risk my job over this but £120 is a hefty amount. We pay so much to work for them already that it seems unfair to be expected to pay for this also. I'd imagine with 500+ staff all with phones their insurance would cover screens? They also change the amount we have to pay on an individual basis... although they will never admit this. A colleague of mine broke hers the same day and was charged £70. I was just after advice.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 19th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    elverson
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    What does your contract say about it?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    I understand what you mean and no I wouldn't risk my job over this but £120 is a hefty amount. We pay so much to work for them already that it seems unfair to be expected to pay for this also. I'd imagine with 500+ staff all with phones their insurance would cover screens? They also change the amount we have to pay on an individual basis... although they will never admit this. A colleague of mine broke hers the same day and was charged £70. I was just after advice.
    Huh? Bit confused by that
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 19th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 4,239 Posts
    • 4,404 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    I would expect accidental damage to be covered by their insurance, with possibly an excess which they expect staff members to cover.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 19th Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 9,539 Thanks
    patman99
    Check your contract of employment. Does it mention having to pay for repairs to company supplied equipment?.

When they handed the phones out, did you have to sign anything stating that you will be responsible for loss or damage and that you agree to a hire charge to be deducted from your wages?.

If the answer is 'no' to either of the above, then you can raise a grievance about the illegal deductions from your wages.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £759.94/ £1000 (that's 75.49%)

3-6 month EF £240.61/£3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 19th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Could you not get it repaired privately?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    • 18,688 Posts
    • 14,406 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Yes, it puzzled me too. Perhaps if the OP comes back they can explain exactly what they are paying in order to work.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 20th Jun 17, 12:49 AM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 2,139 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Sounds like care work so if it's care in the community they will mean petrol etc plus possibly dbs checks etc
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *50lbs lost* *34lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 22 weeks in -42lbs
    3/9 to NYE 17lbs down / 0lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 20th Jun 17, 12:53 AM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 2,139 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I wouldn't be impressed by paying it mind. That's probably a days wage. Id check what your contracts as a lot set it up so you ring off the clients phone (as then they know you're actually at the house - it's a freephone number btw) so making you pay to sort the phone seems a bit off
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *50lbs lost* *34lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs 11/7/17 - 22 weeks in -42lbs
    3/9 to NYE 17lbs down / 0lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 20th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    daytona0
    A colleague of mine broke hers the same day and was charged £70. I was just after advice.
    Haha. Feel sorry for the employer if their assets are constantly being damaged!!
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 20th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    daytona0
    Check your contract of employment. Does it mention having to pay for repairs to company supplied equipment?.
    When they handed the phones out, did you have to sign anything stating that you will be responsible for loss or damage and that you agree to a hire charge to be deducted from your wages?.

If the answer is 'no' to either of the above, then you can raise a grievance about the illegal deductions from your wages.
    Originally posted by patman99
    The only thing I'd say about your advice is that OP has damaged company assets through negligence. Surely that is a scenario in which one party could take the other to small claims court?

So I don't think that the contract needs to say anything about damage tbh.... I think your point is more about the method of repayment and whether the company can deduct straight from wages, or if they need to go through small claims.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 20th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    Sounds like care work so if it's care in the community they will mean petrol etc plus possibly dbs checks etc
    Originally posted by dawyldthing

Most care companies I know pay a mileage allowance. I appreciate not all though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,407Posts Today

8,243Users online

Martin's Twitter