Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

Comments

• Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2016 at 6:16PM
    My ds got 97 in his aqe what would this equate too would this be enough for a grammar school placement

You would benefit more from the 15/16 thread as this one is for this years AQE and Gl if that helps

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5197632
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Rox12
    Interested to hear that your school has started already. I think ours is starting in about 3 weeks. They are doing a lot of time wasting stuff at the minute which is annoying me. I have started working on improving my DS vocabulary / spelling and revising a few maths topics he did earlier in the year which he has forgotten. Also parent teacher meeting isn't until after Easter and I would prefer it earlier. I am undecided about tutoring but if PS doesn't support it enough I may feel the urge to. This is first time through for me. My DS is bright but lacks confidence and have to make sure he gets lots of practice to improve his confidence.
  • May100 wrote: »
    Rox12
    Interested to hear that your school has started already. I think ours is starting in about 3 weeks. They are doing a lot of time wasting stuff at the minute which is annoying me. I have started working on improving my DS vocabulary / spelling and revising a few maths topics he did earlier in the year which he has forgotten. Also parent teacher meeting isn't until after Easter and I would prefer it earlier. I am undecided about tutoring but if PS doesn't support it enough I may feel the urge to. This is first time through for me. My DS is bright but lacks confidence and have to make sure he gets lots of practice to improve his confidence.
    Confidence is the key and that is the reason we used a tutor. The p6 teacher did nothing to help my child's confidence but the tutor did. I always knew she had the ability so it was worth it.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    My ds got 97 in his aqe what would this equate too would this be enough for a grammar school placement

have you not been to visit your primary school and fill in the forms for admission to secondary/grammar school. They are usually able to give you advice and guide you on what schools to put on your sheet.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • May100
    I am seriously thinking to get a tutor. The school preparation is weak and I don't
    think he will do the work as well for me. I intend trying On Target Tuition as I heard they are good.
  • Rox12
    Rox12 Posts: 15 Forumite
    They have started preparation in class from today,they go through a P6 paper on Tuesday assisted by the teacher & they then do 1 independently on a Thursday. We have parent teacher in March but we've already had a meeting where we made the decision whether the children should work towards transfer test or not. At the moment I don't think Ds will get a tutor but il be trying to help as much as I can and see how he gets on, school has definitely not taught everything he needs to know yet so there's a long way to go yet. What is On Target Tuition? Haven't heard of them. There are independent tutors in our area & also a Kip McGrath Education centre but I haven't made a decision yet.
  • May100
    On Target is an independent tutoring company in Lisburn. Used to be Kip McGrath as far as I know. You bring your child to their centre rather than tutor coming to your home.
  • Floeydoey
    Floeydoey Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi everyone I just discovered these forums this week my LG is sitting both GL and AQE in Nov 16 she has a tutor and I'm currently working through GL Revision booklets atm I'm almost sure they will start practice papers after Easter I think this forum will be great support throughout the next year
  • May100
    Hi Floeydoey, Yes it will be good to share our experiences good and bad. I found the previous years forums very interesting.

Our school did a maths and English test this week- it was a lot easier than a transfer paper. It was just to get them started doing work under exam type conditions and to assess where if there are any areas that they need to revise. I think they are gearing them up towards starting papers after Easter. My DS is keen to get into the real papers but I am sure there will be many ups and downs along the way. I want him to work on vocabulary and spelling etc, as I think that is the area he needs to brush up. I haven't got a tutor yet but I may do - he is doing AQE and is preferred school requires very high grades.
  • Floeydoey
    Floeydoey Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thank goodness the 2 schools my LG has in mind don't require really high grades but God knows what this year's results and entry requirements will bring to next year's kids she wants to give it a try we will just see how it goes iv done a few wee tests with her just to get an idea and she has managed in the 60% or above at this point but that's with me talking her through the test first my son opted not to do the tests and is in secondary school and is at the top of his year even with dyslexia I'm just going to try and take it in our stride and see what happens although easier said than done
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure