PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well, I didn’t get around to making the mincemeat flapjacks today, thanks to DH. He went to the shop for milk this morning and returned with the milk PLUS a pack of scones. Never mind, he meant well and I can always make them later in the week instead.

Make Do: Used up the last of the cream cheese this lunchtime by mixing it with a dollop of mayo and some chopped chives. We had it spread on crisp-bakes topped with thinly sliced tomato followed by some grapes. Tonight’s dinner is hm sausage casserole (from freezer) + mash + broccoli.

Today’s mend was the iron or, to be exact, the plug. When I was winding the cable around the iron yesterday, the plug banged against the FF and quite a large chunk fell off, exposing the wires inside. Good job I had some spare plugs then! :)

Minimise: Still thinking on how to best approach the house de-clutter but have binned an old pair of kitchen scissors (never used, broken tip and tbh somewhat rusty), some fabric flowers that didn’t benefit from a wash, two old mail order catalogues along with yet MORE junk mail that came this morning. Recycling put out ready for collection tomorrow.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • RainbowHippie
    Options
    After spending what feels like a lot of time away with work recently i'm really enjoying knowing i'll be at home for at least the next week and able to get on with things.

Make do - because i had an unexpected work trip last week and OH doesn't tend to cook these days due to lack of time, we now have a fridge drawer full of past-their-best veg, so i'm planning this week's meals around using them up. Today i've made masses of slow-cooked beans and lentils, most of which have gone in the freezer in portions for future recipes, but i've mixed a couple of batches with various grated veg, sweetcorn, the last of a jar of olives, plenty of herbs and spices including some OOD mint sauce i found languishing at the back of a cupboard, and some cajun-spiced breadcrumbs from the freezer that i made ages ago from homemade bread. The mix was then solid enough to form into patties and shallow-fry, i've had some for dinner in a wrap with salad and there will be plenty for my lunch and both our dinners tomorrow. It's not something i've tried before but was delicious and i will definitely make again.

Mend - nothing today but spent some break time looking at pretty ways to patch and mend jeans on pinterest, as my favourite jeans are now firmly in the mending pile to be sorted out before i wear them again. Both knees are now very ragged, i'm thinking i might try some reverse applique with some pretty fabric, or boro-style mending (might be someone on here who mentioned that recently?) They are already covered in cut-out embroidered pieces cut from my previous favourite jeans when they fell apart completely as i just couldn't bear to part with them.

Minimise - nowt today unless you count the bendy veg!

Quick question on using stuff up - i came across a pack of fancy-looking but OOD stuffing lurking in a cupboard today, i'm sure it will be fine to use but there's a reason it's sat around that long - we just don't use stuffing! (no idea why we even have it, it's so old it must even have moved house with us!) Can anyone suggest anything 'non-traditional' to do with it? i was thinking maybe using it as a base for more of the veggie patties like i made today, or trying to make veggie sausages by mixing it with soya mince and other stuff (that might be a bit ambitious!) but would very much welcome any other suggestions!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the MMM life :)
  • savingpennies
    Options
    I haven't posted in ages, but glad to see you are all carrying on with the MMMing.
    I've been trying to use things up in the freezer, having an inventory certainly helps, keeping the inventory up to date would be even better:D. We tend not to do a big shop anymore, as we nip into L**l when we have been to the gym, to pick up what we need. We do have to be careful though, it is so easy to buy things you don't really need.
    On the mending front, I've repaired a kitchen cupboard door by tightening the hinges and fixing a handle on one of my pans.
    Minimising, I've gone through some of crockery and anything cracked, chipped or just looking past it's best has gone. My electric conservatory heater has also been taken to the tip, as one of the elements had given up the ghost.
    My efforts to minimise me are ongoing. I've signed up for the 10,000 steps a day challenge for Cancer Research as my Lent project. I'm doing ok but a couple of days have been difficult because I have a chest/throat infection. The good thing is you can average out the steps, so if I am under one day I can make up for it on another day.
    Have a good day everybody.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    RainbowHippie , I use dried stuffing mix to coat chicken or pork slices instead of breadcrumbs I have also used it when making scotch eggs as a coating It brightens up the blandest food .
    Or chuck a handful into some ordinary minced beef to give added bulk or mix with diced veg,mushrooms etc and an egg and make veggie burgers.I love to try to use up any stuffing mixes I can find ,especially the ones that get marked down after christmas in the supermarkets, if its a bit on the bland side a good dah of curry powder or paprika will liven it up a bit .
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I mix stuffing mix with a pound of sausage meat (or de-skinned sausages) as accompaniment to chicken and what's left can be sliced cold for sandwich filling. It freezes well too.
    Minimised our collection of photos in the ad breaks so two bin bags gone. Still some more sorting to do but made a huge difference.
    Make do will be fajitas tonight with peppers from the fridge bottom & chicken from freezer stock
    No mending - have a small pile and will hit it in one go.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Good afternoon chums I minimised one of my dried packet mixes from the stash and had a tomato and garlic pasta lunch with enought left over to have cold with some salad tonight.

I counted up and have 28(now 27) packets of dried pasta, rice cous cous, and casserole mixes that I found scattered around my cupboards on Saturday !!! They are going to be used up asap :)

Making do: with as much as possible to ensure my Love Food,Hate Waste will probably carry on after the end of Lent :):):)I have far too much stuff in stock ,problem is, more cupboards, mean you tend to fill them up without thinking.

Mending: ,well I didn't mend today but I did another couple of squares for one of my charity blankets .Day six and still not been anywhere near a food shop :)

I so relate to the cupboards, I found mine were so jammed I couldn't remember what was in them and was buying stuff I didn't need just in case I hadn't got it. I emptied the lot and bought two cheap shelf units, now I have everything in one place and can see at a glance if I am out of something. Best £10 I have ever spent. Its saved me a small fortune over the past few months and I have my own little shop, lol.
    Slimming World at target
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

Great ideas as always on here! chirpycheap - get rid of 1000 things in a year - must do this as am fed up of clutter :o Further to this Flea bay have txted me to say that I get 1p postings for a while so I MUST now strike while the iron is hot so to speak!

Re the stuffing ideas - I had fogotten about the sausage meat + stuffing mix one!! Am having troubles finding decent sausages - plain ones are easy - the butcher does lovely ones!! But I love the really herby ones - I visited a friend in Linconshire and had some FAB ones and am still drooling over them - the butcher sells his sausage meat so..... Will up date you on how it goes!

Meanwhile:

Make do: Still on the meal plan - its working well! Also went out with my friend today and we had a meal out Brewer's F*yre do 2 mains for 10.99 and bottomless coffee for 2.50!! winning combo! So it cost both of us the magnificent sum of £8 for a quite filling, v tasty meal. Ok not haute quizinne but good - and since it was peaceful in there they didnt seem to mind that we sat there chatting as well as eating for about 3 hours! :) V friendly too

Mend: My son has a job interview tomorrow and found some lovely trousers (M&S) for £3.25 in a charity shop but they needed taking up - so that was my chore for today!! Also mended the tin in which I store my sewing stuff - just a question of bending the hinge back but it was good to keep this favourite tin!

Minimise: 2 more books to charity shop!! loads of paperwork cleared and went through my mum's beautifully written stories and so got rid of the drafts and the double copies and I have kept the best stories to read again!:D Havent had time/ emotional strength to do this since she passed but with my son staying with me I could find the mental place to do this. :A So thats another 3 boxes of clutter gone but the best stuff kept.

So, E bay tomorrow!! Honest!!
    Frugal onwards folk :D
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Assembled the clothing rail today so now all my dresses and jackets are hung up instead of being stuffed into drawers. I can't find two of my jackets, really hope I didn't get carried away with my minimising and put them to the CS by mistake. Fingers crossed I've put them in the big cupboard and they've been buried by other things. Also put up net curtains in the living room, makes such a difference to the flat.

Did a shop at @ldi yesterday so have prepped for the next weeks meals today. I took advantage of their super 6 offers and now have lots of veg in the freezer for future meals. Tonight we had pork belly for tea, tomorrow we'll have the leftovers with cauliflower cheese.

Back to work tomorrow so going to jump into bed, read a bit of my book and get an early night :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lyneplatinum If you get a Brewers Fayre loyalty card, on your birthday you get a free meal via a voucher. I have one of these which my eldest DD uses more than I do as she has a caravan on the Kent coast and its about 10 minutes from one, and her and her OH normally have a meal there on the Friday night when they drive down for the weekend

Last year I ended up with £22 odd worth of points which I used to treat myself and my friend to a meal.But you get a free dinner voucher every year irrespective of how many points you have It can be used within a fortnight of your birthday I had a nice fish and chips meal last month on the house :):):) I'm not one to turn down a freebie :):):) I also have a Beefeater card as well which gives you the same a free main meal during your birthday fortnight well worth having tucked in your purse :):):)
    Good luck for your son'd interview.
    Not much MMM today as I have History club this afternoon which is apparently about climate change in the weather over the years ,then tonight I am out at a big KM quiz night with my team Its a charity affair so raising cash for a good cause and enjoying a night out with food and a bottle of plonk or a soft drink for £6.50 :):):)
    Still making do from my existing stocks though
    Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
  • RainbowHippie
    Options
    Thanks JackieO and Silvasava for the tips on using stuffing, i'll try and work something into the meal plan for next week to get it used up. We do enjoy breaded chicken/fish/veg so using the stuffing instead of breadcrumbs sounds like a good idea for us. I do also like the idea of mixing it with sausage meat for a sandwich filling though so will have to debate it with OH and see what he fancies :)

Well done LynnP on sorting through your mum's stories - things with sentimental value are the hardest to let go of in my experience. And what a wonderful thing to have to remember her by. Good luck to your son for his interview, i hope it goes well for him.

Make do - made two lasagnes for dinner yesterday - one meat one for OH (using up two tubs of some bolognese he had made ages ago but then wasn't too keen on, so i froze it until inspiration struck) and one veggie for me (finishing off a packet of dried soya mince dated Jun 2015!! been using it gradually over the last year and it's absolutely fine). Made roasties to go with it from some sprouty potatoes, plenty left for lunch and dinner today.

Mend - Still got a big pile of sewing to get through and not yet had time. Was meant to be going out tonight but i am knackered and it's not something where i'll be much missed, so i may give it a miss and catch up with some sewing in front of the tv, hopefully mending myself as well with a bit of relaxation.

Minimise - a bit of the mess of 'things waiting to be done' that was piled on the kitchen table - new blinds up in OH's study, and while the drill etc was out i fitted new smoke/CO2 alarms in a couple of places in the house to replace old ones left by the previous owner that had recently stopped working (and did not have replaceable batteries :mad:, the new ones do and are fitted with rechargeables so will be much cheaper/less hassle when they next run out!) so also mending, sort of!

Have a lovely weekend everyone x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport