PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I got crochet blanket for £8. Beautiful, and wool would have cost that. Might go back and get the other one.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • Hill53
    Hill53 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Dior Cosmetics Bag for £1.50. Literally loved it! (inlove)
  • humblepii
    humblepii Posts: 171 Forumite
    Charity shop convert here! We're cutting our budgets drastically owing to some big life changes and I stumbled across this thread. (It has been addictive - thank you all who contribute!) I've long donated to our local CS but never looked/bought anything. Inspired by you, I popped in this morning and among other things picked up a black wool-blend Joseph blazer for £5. Fits perfectly, and must be practically new. Its equivalent new is £395! I think I am still a little bit in shock…
    Debt-free & saving for the next big adventure
    :j
  • humblepii wrote: »
    Charity shop convert here! We're cutting our budgets drastically owing to some big life changes and I stumbled across this thread. (It has been addictive - thank you all who contribute!) I've long donated to our local CS but never looked/bought anything. Inspired by you, I popped in this morning and among other things picked up a black wool-blend Joseph blazer for £5. Fits perfectly, and must be practically new. Its equivalent new is £395! I think I am still a little bit in shock…

Wow Humblepii, great bargain, well done.:T
    Normal people worry me.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    humblepii wrote: »

That's a fantastic bargain!

It's amazing the stuff (rich?) people give away. I got a new ski jacket for £5 from Edinburgh last Summer. When I got home I googled the brand and they're about £350 new!! I also saw a size 8 brand new pink quilted Joules jacket in a CS in Aberdeen last year for £15 - it even still had the price tag on it!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Great start humblepii, you're going to be good at this! :D

Just a couple of little ones for me today, but made me happy :) . My fave c/shop is Martha Trust, silly cheap prices and such a muddle you can have a good old rummage. Found a lap tray (the sort with a cushion underneath that is stuffed with some sort of bead-like filling so it stays on your lap) 50p - perfect for OH's iPad when he's sitting on the sofa. A good clean of the surface and it has come up sparkling. The cushion already looked clean, but I've given it a bit of a scrub to be sure.

Also, my shower started giving out sparks last week :eek: , so until I can get it looked at I'm having to bath, and rinse the soap and shampoo off with a plastic jug. The jug I've been using digs into my hand when it's full of water, as the handle is flimsy. Found just the thing on the 10p shelf (again in Martha Trust) today - very grubby but has cleaned up to as-new condition :j. I nearly bought one in a local hardware shop for £4.50 but something stopped me... :beer:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• humblepii
    humblepii Posts: 171 Forumite
    Thank you Hobsons Choice, kboss and Bogof_Babe - I am honestly so thrilled, I have chewed OH's ear off about it today! Can't wait to wear it. Also gathered up a nice big bag of stuff to take next weekend in gratitude.

Win-win :cool:

Can't wait to have another rummage while I'm there!
    Debt-free & saving for the next big adventure
    :j
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Charity shop shopping is brill! Welcome humblepii.

I've bought Ralph Lauren cashmere, Joules gilets and many wonderful good quality bargains....and the best thing is that we get a great bargain AND the charity gets much needed income.

Win win!!!!

(saw a lovely little Next summer dress today for £1 but two sizes too big for me so left it for another lucky person).
  • Shereen
    Shereen Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hello Charity Shoppers! Well, it's only a few days to go to our charity shop takeover day and I can't believe how much stuff we've collected to sell. My wee team have been spending hours every day sorting donations into men's, women's, children's clothes, with separate sorting for plus sizes, outerwear and the sale stock. And two car loads of more donations were dropped off at my place this afternoon.

We've a couple of volunteers lined up to iron things for us on the day so the clothes look their best, and I've been labelling black bags of clothes ready to go to the shop. To be honest the household stuff is going to be more of a challenge to move. All those beautiful, but fragile glasses!

You can see some of what we've been doing on the Twitter account (http://www.twitter.com/BelmontMarieC), but you really need to see it for yourself. So if you're in Belfast on 9th October, pop in and say hello.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi [URL="file://\\shereen"]shereen[/URL]- you might find it useful to get some bubblewrap from your local supermarket from the fruit and veg section. This is often thrown away so worth an ask? My local Waitrose often has some!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure