Using barclaycard platinum abroad

ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE THAT HAS JUST APPEARED IN THE WEEKLY NEWS YOU CAN USE BARCLAYCARD PLATINUM VISA CARD TO GET CASH WITHDRAWALS WITH NO CHARGES. IF PAID IN FULL AT THE NEXT STATEMENT

THEN THERE IS REFERENCE TO ATM WITHDRAWALS AT 27.9%

I AM CONFUSED AS TO WHERE YOU WOULD GET A CASH WITHDRAWAL ONLY OVER THE BANK COUNTER?
BELOW IS THE TEXT FROM MARTIN NEWS LETTER ON THE BARCLAYCARD PLATINUM VISA ----PAID IN FULL AT NEXT STATEMENT

HERE IS THE TEXT FROM THE E MAIL

For one of the cheapest ways to withdraw cash abroad, the Barclaycard Platinum Visa (eligibility calc / apply*) comes top. It has no exchange fees till 31 Aug 2018 and unusually it doesn't charge a cash withdrawal fee or interest on overseas (not UK) withdrawals if you pay your bill IN FULL (14.9% rep APR on spending). For a full list, incl cards for poor credit scorers, see Overseas Cards (APR Examples).

TAKING THE LINK TO THE BARCLAYCARD ELIGIBILITY CALC LEADS YOU TO THE TEXT BELOW BUT THE TITLE IS ]Barclaycard Travel Car NOT PLATINUM VISA!!!!!!!!!!

Barclaycard Travel Card
NO FEES OR INTEREST IF YOU PAY OFF IN FULL
Is this card right for you?
Exchange rate fee: Europe: 0% | Worldwide: 0% Cash withdrawal fee: None | Interest on cash withdrawals? Only if not repaid in fullRepresentative APR on spending: 14.9% (see Official APR Examples)Interest rate on ATM withdrawals: 27.9% Card issuer: Visa[/B][/B]

CAN MARTIN'S TEAM CLARIFY THIS FOR ME
MUCH APPRECIATED

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    NO NEED TO SHOUT!

The 27.9% applies 'only if not repaid in full', i.e. if you withdraw cash at an ATM and repay in full when statemented then no interest, but if you don't repay it in full then interest accrues at 27.9% APR.
  • I too am confused. I saw Martins TV program aired on Monday 25th Jan on ITV. The piece on this credit card referred to as the Barclaycard Platinum Travel card but shown on TV as Barclaycard Travel card. As my wife and I are going abroad soon we both decided to apply for one as we were attracted to the 0% interest on purchases and ATM withdrawals, (providing you pay in full which we would do).
    We were successful in our applications and our cards arrived.
    The cards say Barclaycard Platinum. Within the literature contained with the card it confirms 0% on purchases and ATM withdrawels BUT states that there is a 2.99% transaction fee each time you use your card abroad including at the ATM. I asked n a local branch of Barclays and they believed there IS still the 2.99% fee each time.
    There was no mention of this on the TV show it made out all completely free (until Aug 2018).
    Can anyone please clarify. Obviously if this is the case then this needs to be pointed out on TV as it made NO reference to any fee's providing you pay in full when billed.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We were successful in our applications and our cards arrived.
    The cards say Barclaycard Platinum. Within the literature contained with the card it confirms 0% on purchases and ATM withdrawels BUT states that there is a 2.99% transaction fee each time you use your card abroad including at the ATM. I asked n a local branch of Barclays and they believed there IS still the 2.99% fee each time.
    I have no TV but in the MSE website article the card is referred to as:

Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card*
    The Barclaycard* travel card offers no fees on spending or cash withdrawals overseas. (etc.)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards

Did you apply via the link in that article, or directly on the Barclaycard website:

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards?WT.ac=A07D01&ref=tombstone-p3-acq

There are about eight 'Platinum' cards listed there, including the 'Travel' card:

Platinum travel credit card
    Could be good if you don’t want to pay non-sterling transaction fees when travelling.
    • No non-sterling transaction fees on your foreign spend and ATM withdrawals until 31 August 2018
    • Take advantage of Visa’s competitive exchange rate
    • 14.9% interest on your purchases and 27.9% interest on your ATM withdrawals home and abroad

Which one did you apply for?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    I think it's safe to assume that there will be some fee for using the card abroad, but because Barclays are an international bank, they can help keep this down. Also don't forget to tell your local branch when your holiday is, so that they can make sure that payments are not blocked!
  • eDicky
    john2054 wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume that there will be some fee for using the card abroad, but because Barclays are an international bank, they can help keep this down.
    The only assumption is that this card does what it says - i.e. give the straight VISA rate and charge no overseas fees whatever. It's unique among 'travel' credit cards in not even charging daily interest on cash withdrawals.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    eDicky wrote: »
    The only assumption is that this card does what it says - i.e. give the straight VISA rate and charge no overseas fees whatever. It's unique among 'travel' credit cards in not even charging daily interest on cash withdrawals.

Well for eighteen months at least.
  • eDicky
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Well for eighteen months at least.
    As someone pointed out, at least it should remain fee free for the eighteen months, whereas other travel cards or their benefits can be withdrawn at any time. The MBNA Everyday Plus didn't last long, for example.
  • Martlea
    Martlea Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, Just successfully applied for a new card from the Barclaycared Platinum Travel Card website. The card looks identical to my regular Barclaycard Platinum Card on their site.
    The application definitely states Barclaycard Platinum Travel card. Have receive welcome email from Barclaycard which just says Barclaycard Platinum with no mention of Travel Card.
    This is all very confusing and I don't understand why Barclaycard don't put the word Travel on the card or make it a different design at least from the regular non-travel card.
    Will be very annoyed if all they have done is issue me a second regular Barclaycard.
    If there is anyone from Barclaycard on this forum perhaps they would care to explain?
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    john2054 wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume that there will be some fee for using the card abroad, but because Barclays are an international bank, they can help keep this down. Also don't forget to tell your local branch when your holiday is, so that they can make sure that payments are not blocked!

I'm afraid this is nonsense. Santander are international (and Spanish). But for most of their products they will merrily charge if you withdraw in Spain. Ditto HSBC... I don't think being international inclines them to "helping" you!

Some "Old" Barclycards charge 2.75% for ATM withdrawals overseas, but that's all they charge*. You get up to 56 days interest free. That makes it unusual. Newer cards have a promotion where they don't even charge the 2.75%.

(*some ATMs apply a local charge, just as some ATMs in the UK do.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure