Land registry restriction

Hi everyone,

My husband's trustee in bankruptcy has applied for a restriction against our jointly owned property (only my husband is bankrupt).

It's my understanding that when a bankrupt person jointly owns property then the trustee can apply for a Form J but the paperwork we've received doesn't specifically state that a Form J has been applied for. Perhaps this is usual? I don't know but if it's called a Form J then why not state that it's a Form J?

Seems nothing is simple and so I'm wondering if anyone here can decipher the legal jargon and tell me if this is a Form J.

"The restriction sought

The applicant has applied for the following restriction to be entered in the register of your above title:

RESTRICTION: No disposition of the registered estate, other than a disposition by the proprietor of any registered charge registered before the entry of this restriction, is to be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for registration or their conveyancer that written notice of the disposition was given to (insert name) trustee in bankruptcy...."

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 February 2013 at 3:15PM
    Yes - form J - see Practice Guide 19 for wording options and more details
    NB - there is no paper Form J but standard restrictions are entitled form A, B, C and so on. It would be normal to refer to the whole wording and not the form.

Practice Guide 34 includes guidance around personal insolvency as well which may be of interest as required.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • this-is-it-then
    this-is-it-then Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2013 at 2:25PM
    Many thanks for your reply LR rep.

We have to sign to consent to this application so I wanted to be sure that we've been sent the correct paperwork.

Thanks also for the guidance notes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport