Can get Sky Multi Room free?

I have sky multi room, £10 a month. We have the sky box in the study and all the sky wiring is linked up.
Do I have to pay the £10? If I cancel what will Sky do?
Is there a way round payment or to Sky flick a switch at their end and cut multo room off? Thankyou

Comments

• epatolles
    epatolles Posts: 192 Forumite
    bump coz i'd love to hear the answer! I want SKY+HD as the second box (i have hd tv and downstairs is sd tv) and paying £20 a month extra has put me off!
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have sky multi room, £10 a month. We have the sky box in the study and all the sky wiring is linked up.
    Do I have to pay the £10? If I cancel what will Sky do?
    Is there a way round payment or to Sky flick a switch at their end and cut multo room off? Thankyou

Sky multi-room gives you a second smart card for a second digi-box, so without paying sky you can only watch the free channels.
  • I believe you have to have had it at least 3 months before cancelling, possibly 12. But yeah ACDeag is right, without the subscription effectively it's a freeview box. Which might be all you need it for... better than the £10 per month rip off fee.

Check out the post on free HD TV from sky too. Maybe you might want to spend the money on that instead (although some people are getting it installed and free for a year).
  • Have been told, but not definite, that if the wiring is all set up from the sky dish and you have a Sky box, and Card then Sky cannot do anything to cut off the Multi room?
    Can anyone help for definite???
  • ACDeag
    Forumite
    Have been told, but not definite, that if the wiring is all set up from the sky dish and you have a Sky box, and Card then Sky cannot do anything to cut off the Multi room?
    Can anyone help for definite???

If you stop paying the £10 they will send a signal to disable the secondary smart card.

If all you are doing is routing the signal from the main box around the house then you don't need multi-room.
  • Thankyou for the info. Worth a try.
    If the Sky box, so me, have the Sky card, do Sky ask 4 it back?
    Or am I being a bit stupid and they can cut off from there end?

We have the sameSky TV Package that goes to our main room and the same to the Study, isn't multi room just an extension & duplicate of Main TV package?
  • ACDeag
    Forumite
    Thankyou for the info. Worth a try.
    If the Sky box, so me, have the Sky card, do Sky ask 4 it back?
    Or am I being a bit stupid and they can cut off from there end?

We have the sameSky TV Package that goes to our main room and the same to the Study, isn't multi room just an extension & duplicate of Main TV package?

They send a signal via satellite to zap it. Same process is used to upgrade/downgrade your viewing packages if you want to add/remove Sports or Movies etc.

Sky give you the same subscription on your multi-room smartcard as on your main box.
  • parallax_20
    parallax_20 Posts: 546 Forumite
    You have to make sure they turn off the correct card, as I don't think the cards are interchangable between Sky boxes. You may need to give them a call to re-pair the active card with the correct box for your main viewing.
  • Is this a DIY job or does a professional need to do it?
  • Llyllyll
    Llyllyll Posts: 870 Forumite
    To the OP, sorry if I have not understood the situation, but do you actually have 2 Sky boxes, or just one box with the RF2 feeding the rest of your rooms?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure