PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What credit checks do estate agents use?

I think my credit rating is low because I wasnt on the electrol registry (personal reasons) plus I had an unpaid bill from back in september (only £15) which I'm paying this week, and another bill for the internet from back in september too, will contact them and pay it this week. I registered for the electrol reg yesterday but apparently it takes 28 days to go through.

Will two canceled direct debits (i let them keep my deposit and was on the last month of the contract, but didnt cancel through the right channels) and not being on the electrol reg stop me from being accepted??

I've also moved alot lately due to personal reasons, and done two searches on experian

Comments

• Che75
    Che75 Posts: 56 Forumite
    What people are looking for on your credit report will vary depending on who's looking and there are no hard and fast rules. But estate agents are mostly concerned about major problems (like defaults) that indicate you're not reliable or too much credit that indicates you're overstretched.

If your supplier you say you haven't paid since Sept has registered a default against you they will have written to tell you so. So I assume this isn't the case.

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think two missed bills or the electoral roll will hold you back. I've missed some payments but never had any problems with renting. But if you are borderline I've found estate agents are quite willing to accept additional evidence (bank statements, bank references, savings) to back up your ability to pay.

Best of luck x
  • courtjester
    courtjester Posts: 758 Forumite
    what makes you think estate agents do credit checks on buyers .... ?
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    what makes you think estate agents do credit checks on buyers .... ?
    They won't (well, their in house brokers might). They will do credit checks on tenants though.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Have a look here:
    http://www.tenantverify.co.uk/comprehensive.htm and here: http://www.rentchecks.com/ for an idea of what the most common checks look at and here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-rating-credit-score for MSE Martin’s guide to credit ratings.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure