Welcome Finance car loan - can i cancel the insurance?

itrends
itrends Posts: 12 Forumite
Hi all!

I got a loan from welcome finance about 1 and a half years ago to buy a £5000 car. Obviously this means I am paying back much more than that.

But I recently discovered that I didn't HAVE to take the insurance protection out and that it is pretty much useless to me. :(

So I want to know 2 things:

1) At the end of this second year, can I give them the car back and we call it quits?
2) Is it possible to cancel the insurance that I am paying to them and instead just pay back the car loan?

Really hope someone can help as I am being hammered each month by these guys :(

Thanks
David

Comments

• im not sure about this but we had a £3000 loan from WF n 3yrs later they claim we still owe £3600!! I have heard from a few people who are disgruntled with WF and one has even stopped paying them as she borrowed £2000 and has paid back over £5000!
  • itrends
    Can anyone help me?
    Is there a template letter I can send to them in order to CANCEL the PPI and perhaps even get refunded what they took already?

PLEASE HELP! :)

David
  • If you didn't have to take out the insurance why did you?
    You stand no chance of getting a full refund as you have been on cover from the date the loan was opened.
  • itrends
    Actually, I just read the mis-selling PPI info

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

And have posted my letter.
  • davek1
    davek1 Posts: 590 Forumite
    if you want to return the car you have to have paid half of the loan off. Welcome will fight tooth and nail not to take the car back though so it could be a tough fight!!!
  • It is in clear terms and print on the contract I signed that once I have paid back over £4750.xx that I can close the agreement and that they will take the car.

I have the letter drafted and will be sending it to them the moment I get paid from work as I am going to go buy an old banger for a couple of hundred quid. This then will mean I am paying £250 less per month and can put that towards paying off debts.

Finally, once they have taken the car back I will fight for the PPI refund.

They have to take it back by law as I have kept it well maintained and serviced and have paid back the applicable amount. :)

Still expect them to kick up a stink though as they are !!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure