Customer service when switching energy supplier

Hello
I'm would like to switch my energy supplier. I've price compared and could save £500 per year.
The problem is I live in scotland, my current supplier is SSE and the one I would like to switch to is a based in England. What would happen if I had a problem such as a cut in supply due to a fault or bad weather? Who would come and fix it if anyone?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hello
    I'm would like to switch my energy supplier. I've price compared and could save £500 per year.
    The problem is I live in scotland, my current supplier is SSE and the one I would like to switch to is a based in England. What would happen if I had a problem such as a cut in supply due to a fault or bad weather? Who would come and fix it if anyone?

Hi - welcome to the forum. It doesn't work like that. The suppliers just supply and bill. The network is maintained by separate entities. For example, I live in the West Midlands and over the years I have switched to EDF, E.oN, Ovo, Zog, and Iresa. My electricity supply network is maintained by Western Power. Western Power turns out if trees come down in storms etc and the supply is cut.

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Our-company/Electricity/Distribution-Network-Operator-Companies/
  • right, ok, So no matter where you live in the u.k or whichever supplier you choose the network operator that covers your area will fix any faults, is that correct?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    right, ok, So no matter where you live in the u.k or whichever supplier you choose the network operator that covers your area will fix any faults, is that correct?

If it's a power cut, then the DNO showing on the map for your area will turn out. If your meter fails, then your supplier will manage the problem on your behalf. Just switch: you will be fine.

Bear in mind that you might lose your English electricity supply after SEXIT. :( (joke)
  • yeah damn politics :rotfl:

and yes now i know whats what i might as well save myself some ££££ had the same supplier forever and now with their price hikes it's time, thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure