Money Moral Dilemma: Should I confess to being over-credited?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I recently returned something I'd bought in the sale, for which I received store credit (as I'd lost the receipt). I've since found the reciept and can see I actually paid less for the item than what I was credited back. Should I go back and let them know?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• villeneuve
    Options
    How about you donate the excess refund to a charity?
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Should I go back and let them know?

Obviously, yes. Where's the 'dilemma'?
  • hd216
    hd216 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No keep it and enjoy it. Retailers are quick enough to under credit you if the price goes down in a sale and you dont have your receipt. Works both ways!
  • pabenny
    pabenny Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously the the most honest answer is, yes, go back.

But there would be an awful lot of faffing around for the store staff:
    - use the credit to repurchase the item (if they still have it in stock)
    - get a cash refund using your original receipt (if it's within time for a refund)

For how much - £1 -2?
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'd get a funny look from me if you came up to my till and asked for more money to be taken from you for a return that had already been processed. That said, for your honesty I'd probably tell you not to worry about it. There could be any number of reasons the till processed it in that way, perhaps it was back up to regular price when you returned it. If it's eating you up inside, donate the cash to charity. I'd keep it myself but then times are hard!
  • copperclock
    Options
    If it was a small, independent business I'd probably confess (or buy something to the original value and no more).

If it was a large chain I'd probably just spend it as quickly as I could before they realise their mistake.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've not been refunded cash, you've been given store credit. They'll make some margin on whatever you spend it on instore. Trying to get the amount of store credit you have reduced sounds like a faff no one could be bothered with. Just get on and spend it and stop worrying.
  • lucyhen
    Options
    Keep the money and pay for some spelling lessons. The general rule is "I before E except after C" The correct spelling is "receipt"
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    Is this about correcting a mistake, or really about changing the store credit to a refund as the receipt has been found ?

Smallish sums are a nightmare for the shop to rejig, and in general they would rather you didn't bother. Also, for a small sum don't bother to change store credit to a refund.

But what if the sum involved is, say, £200 - we aren't told and I think it does make a difference. If you were given a credit note for £200 and the goods were £170 I think you should go back and do something. If you were credited with £20 and it should have been £17, then possibly not. Anything in between is difficult to assess.

(Do people really not know how much they paid for an item after such a short period of time ?).
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Interesting this - I was recently refunded money after paying for and receiving goods and when I posted on this forum about it I was told I was a thief if I didn't phone the vendor to explain their mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure