MSE News: Credit cards cancelled after mystery online shopping 'data breach'

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I got the notice from Tesco too.

Like others I have hardly used it since October, the only places being Tesco Pay at Pump and the Dartford Toll Charge.

I have Tesco Pay at Pump in common with you there!
  • More4me
    More4me Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tell If I am wrong, If it was an on line retailer then other credit cards providers would be affected as well, on the other hand If the Tesco credit card site is compromised then it will only effect Tesco credit cards
    More
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    More4me wrote: »
    Tell If I am wrong, If it was an on line retailer then other credit cards providers would be affected as well, on the other hand If the Tesco credit card site is compromised then it will only effect Tesco credit cards

From the news article:

A Mastercard spokesperson confirmed it had contacted Tesco Bank as a result of the data breach, but said Tesco credit card holders are not the only ones affected.

He said: "This situation is not unique to Mastercard or even Tesco, and we’re not willing to say how many of our cards were put at risk. Ultimately we report these breaches, and it is up to the bank if they want to take preventative measures."

Mastercard has declined to name the online retailer concerned, saying it cannot "legally" identify who it was.

I'm a Tesco credit card holder and have used it in their stores (and also for Pay at Pump) and my card is seemingly unaffected so I'd imagine it's going to affect a few more people yet (with other banks/card schemes).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Same happened to me, don't use dartford toll but did use pay at pump a few months ago. Only websites that store my details are amazon and tesco direct. Ive use bargain crazy, sports direct, shell petrol, the white company and john lewis.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    patanne wrote: »
    Surely pay at pump would not be classed as an online retailer?

Maybe because you are not doing the transaction in front of a person so...

If people have been paying a Tesco's pay pumps, has someone been attaching a skimming thingumabobs to card readers?

I could understand them not telling people about this if it was subject to legal proceedings.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • traceyr
    traceyr Posts: 169 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    The only companies I store my card details and use frequently are Amazon and Tesco, I have used it at other retailers but don't store my details after a previous with another card.
  • Ive used Amazon and Tesco direct in the last month too.
  • I don't think it's a huge mystery, only a few online retailers prompt you to store card details, the ones I can think of are Amazon and Tesco. I had card details stored at Amazon, and not Tesco, and I have not been affected. If I was a betting person I would put all my chips on Tesco.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Very strong rumour in my area that the Penarth Tesco pay at pump system had been compromised about 10 days ago -several people reported problems.You swipe your card to get points EVEN IF you aren't paying with the card.
  • my husband had his bank card cancelled by RBS because he had used it in Tesco not pay at pump just the store.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure