First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I was not born with this knowledge
    Nor were any of us
    it has not been imparted to me
    Most of the posts above are trying to do just that
    how then in the absence of relevance may I possess it
    You could read your statements and correspondence at a minimum
    have the trolls finished feeding yet?
    That is quite uncalled for and if you stop to think about it you know it too

I too am out of this thread
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    have the trolls finished feeding yet?
    Call me a sceptic, but you seem to be rather good at pushing people's buttons. The trolls are the ones who throw in the bait so that they can enjoy the feeding.
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I also fell for this - old isa with nationwide, recommended by my mum , incorrectly assumed they were trustworthy and i would get a good deal.

Money languished for several years before iirealised, particularly as i wasnt paying in i didnt really look

I can remember being really !!!!ed off at the time as they were advertising much higher rates in the branch. All i had to do was transfer.

I asked why they didnt sutomatically transfer me to new and better products - apparently they wrote to me

Any way - i learned its my responsibility to stay on top of this now. Not exactly how it should be but lesson learned for me and OP now by the looks of things
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ggb1979 wrote: »
    Any way - i learned its my responsibility to stay on top of this now. Not exactly how it should be but lesson learned for me and OP now by the looks of things

My opinion is that it all is exactly how it should be - just the prospect of a bank or building society managing my money gives me nightmares. I want, and need, to be in absolute control of how much of my money I want to have where at any point in time. I also don't want to be tied to the offerings of just one company because no one company consistently has the best or all the products I am after.

As an adult, you expect to decide for yourself what you wear, what you eat, what you drink, what hairstyle you have, what car you drive, which papers you read etc etc. Would you dream on leaving these decisions to a firm you don't even talk to in years? I guess your answer would be 'of course not'. Why would you then do this with your money?

Well done though on your lesson learnt. Don't ever forget it.
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hear everything you're sayingvand disagree with none of it.

However i would say the example here is a bit different, for banks etc each year to launch new isa s which are no different from the old ones apart from rate and require you to proactively move from old to new is a bit snidey imo

I think it would not be a bad move for a bank to offer to do that automatically or better still not launch new products. I for one would be more inclined to stay with the same bank for .25 / .5 % interest less just to avoid the faff of moving (adkittedly low sums at the moment)

Like any enterprise i get that its a way they make money just relying on the ignorance / apathy of customers - energy companies with better tariffs no exception.

However that experience (and another bad experience ) with nationwide means that as of april next year they will have lost me as a customer for both a cash isa and my childs trust fund.

Also on my advice my mum is no w ditching t hem for her retirement fund.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    However that experience (and another bad experience ) with nationwide means that as of april next year they will have lost me as a customer for both a cash isa and my childs trust fund.

This is perhaps a bit of a premature reaction as nobody knows who is offering what products next April. Financial decisions should be made based on facts, not emotions. Forget the notion that they will hurt or something if you leave. They all expect a regular churn in customers.

Please keep in mind that no bank or building society is fundamentally different to what you experienced at Nationwide.
    I for one would be more inclined to stay with the same bank for .25 / .5 % interest less just to avoid the faff of moving (adkittedly low sums at the moment)
    Transferring a cash ISA isn't actually a lot of faff. You fill in a form and invariably your ISA is with the new provider within the week.

Doing a bit of financial housekeeping once a year is surely not asked too much? You probably wash your car a dozen times or more a year and replace some old clothes with new ones just as often.

Put a reminder in your calendar for when the next review of account xyz is due. And keep an eye on interest rates throughout the year as something better might come along (from the same or a different provider) before your regular review is due. In the internet age and with comparison engines it is ever so easy to keep abreast of offerings. People have amazing amounts of time to shop for new gadgets, new apps, new cars, new clothes, new foods, new perfumes and aftershaves etc etc etc. Shopping for financial products is comparatively easy and I don't understand why so many people don't seem to think their hard-earned money has deserved a bit more attention.

/end sermon
  • My car is lucky if it get washed once a year and i clothes shop once a year if im lucky :)

I am a single parent, work 70 hours a week and on average sleep 3 nights a week in my own bed if im lucky.

Tomorrow i will be putting 3 separate pieces of luggage in my boot to see me through the next week and a half of work travel and fun weekend away.

Filling in a form IS alot of faff for me.

Sermon understood though - im on top of things now: lot least my having my finances manageable on line.

Get your point on nw re emotive decisions, t hey peed meoff but the biggest driver is rubbish service and poor rates

Fyi the nail in the coffin was when they asked into branch for a financial review after i expressed an interest in s+s isa with them.

Had an appointment with a fa they provided, i had emailed a lll my details in advance, copy bank statements, payslips, pension mortgage the works.

She wast e d an hour of my time sat morning asking me again for all t hiis info while filling in a form with info she already had then another hour looking at my risk attiitude despite me explaining many times that different elements of mymoney. C a n be risk profiled in different ways ie. I already have a pension so would gamble more wi t h s+s isa etc

End of it all she recommended a basket of funds i could have picked myself and then wanted over 500 quid cash upfront as mgt fee to set this up and a further review meeting in a months time to finalise my investments after analysing my risk profile.

Waste of my time and frilustrating as there is no mention of upfront fees on the website (go have a look)

I think i got grounds to ditch them on this basis.

Incidently thats when i ended up coming here :)

Thanks mse for doing what nationwide couldnt and doing it for free
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was not born with this knowledge, it has not been imparted to me, ...........

no-one is born with it; once you leave the formal education system knowledge is not imparted to you (i.e. you are no longer spoon-fed), you have to gain the knowledge yourself, in this instance reading a newspaper will do the trick. Bonus rates to attract new customers have been around for years, it's nothing new. It's called marketing. It's on a par with 'low-cost' airlines where the ticket is a tenner but taxes, luggage, reserved seat, airport check-in, are all charged extra and the final figure is £84.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    masonic wrote: »
    It's quite unusual to end up here without at least browsing around the main site or signing up to the weekly email and MSE has been banging the drum about the need to switch savings accounts regularly to avoid ending up with poor interest tirelessly for the last decade or so. So, there tends to be an expectation that posters here would know at least that much. In that situation, going on to mention the possibility of getting compensation is likely to play on frustrations.

A post asking for help to avoid it happening again is likely to get a much better response that one asking for compensation and not accepting any blame for making mistakes.

I think there are plenty of ideas here for learning and acting to improve the interest you earn. If it wasn't for reading MSE then I wouldn't have known about the TSB accounts and been able to put cash in them.

I'm just glad the vast majority of my money is in S&S ISAs so I don't need to worry about the yearly churn that cash seems to need.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I feel that the bank had a duty to ensure I was aware of the reduced interest rate and that their obligation extended beyond sending out a letter, if indeed the letter was ever sent.

They've done you a favour, you are now far more alert to making sure that you get the best return for your money. I remember when I meant to transfer £165k from one savings account to another within the same building society, but I accidently sent all the cash back to my current bank account, and I had to wait almost 2 weeks before I could get the money back into a decent savings account. I set myself the task of being much more diligent about getting better savings rates, so that I would recover my lost interest due to MY incompetence.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure