RyanAir Forced Exchange rate

124»

Comments

• melb
    melb Posts: 2,873
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Excuse my ignorance but don't you use the euro in Dublin so that would be the same as us paying in GBP in UK?
  • Instead of paying in euros | pay in sterling, this is how I do it and it does work:-

Open 2 ryanair windows, in the first window (this is just an example) do a flight from Tenerife to Manchester, and enter dates and go on to the page where it shows your week view, now in your second window, enter Manchester to Tenerife and enter dates, and go on to the page where it shows your week view, now go back to your first window and press continue, the price on the next page should be shown in pounds. You just have to double check dates all way through the process.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Sure fire way to screw up is to have 2 windows open booking Ryanair. They wont refund you if it goes wrong.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2014 at 6:06PM
    green1960 wrote: »
    Instead of paying in euros | pay in sterling, this is how I do it and it does work:-

Open 2 ryanair windows, in the first window (this is just an example) do a flight from Tenerife to Manchester, and enter dates and go on to the page where it shows your week view, now in your second window, enter Manchester to Tenerife and enter dates, and go on to the page where it shows your week view, now go back to your first window and press continue, the price on the next page should be shown in pounds. You just have to double check dates all way through the process.

And the flights themselves. I'd be surprised if the first window is grabbing the currency from the second window but not the actual flight details.

EDIT: No you're right, it seems to work fine. Though there is a mark up, so are you sure it's not just using the standard conversion you can select during the checkout?
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just to add to this I had the same problem. I booked some flights from Germany to London in July this year. I actually booked 3 tickets over 2 separate transactions. In both I wanted to pay in euros as Ryanair's exchange rate was so poor. In the first I unticked the box and my wife's Santander Zero card was correctly billed in Euros. When I made the second transaction to my Nationwide debit card, I unticked the box but was charged in sterling. It seems very random.

I have appealed with Nationwide who are investigating. I am hopeful of getting my money back and will keep you informed. Their website specifically states if you are the victim of DCC when you specifically request to pay in local currency they can seek redress through the VISA chargeback process.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/going-abroad/cards-abroad#xtab:should-i-pay-in-sterling
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Update - Nationwide refunded me the overpayment :) In fact it worked out better as they paid me the full difference, not allowing for the 2% non sterling transaction fee they would otherwise have charged.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • Mikeo111
    Mikeo111 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Having used the app. I am of the opinion that Ryanair have invented YET ANOTHER way to scam and rip its customers off.
    I booked some flights on the app and the flights were priced in Euros. When you book the flight, the app gives you the option to reject the Ryanair company rate and chose the 'official' Euro rate.
    However, when you select the "reject Ryanair's rate" option, it still books the flight at Ryanair's far inferior rate which adds an approx. 8% surcharge on the price. (EG on my flight which should have cost £450, I was actually charged nearly £40 more due to this scam)
    SO BE WARNED, Before you chose to book a flight with this app, be aware it WILL NOT give you the actual exchange rate but instead always defaults to the "Rip Off" direct currency conversion with Ryanair :(
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Fares, taxes, fees and charges are payable in the currency of the country of origin of travel unless another currency is indicated by us at or before the time payment is made, for example, because of the non-convertibility of the local currency. We may at our discretion, accept payment in another currency.
    Ryanair guarantees the currency exchange rate at the time of booking the ticket. This exchange rate will not change. If you do not choose Ryanair's currency exchange rate you may be exposed to negative currency fluctuations between the time you make your booking and when your card issuing bank converts the transaction, as in most cases the currency conversion occurs a number of days after the date of booking the booking.
  • jayok
    jayok Posts: 753 Forumite
    Mikeo111 wrote: »
    Having used the app. I am of the opinion that Ryanair have invented YET ANOTHER way to scam and rip its customers off.
    I booked some flights on the app and the flights were priced in Euros. When you book the flight, the app gives you the option to reject the Ryanair company rate and chose the 'official' Euro rate.
    However, when you select the "reject Ryanair's rate" option, it still books the flight at Ryanair's far inferior rate which adds an approx. 8% surcharge on the price. (EG on my flight which should have cost £450, I was actually charged nearly £40 more due to this scam)
    SO BE WARNED, Before you chose to book a flight with this app, be aware it WILL NOT give you the actual exchange rate but instead always defaults to the "Rip Off" direct currency conversion with Ryanair :(

I would not book flight with an app, just in case I am not seeing the whole website page. I have always deselected their rate and went with the CC one and it has always worked
  • Mikeo111
    Mikeo111 Posts: 5 Forumite

SO BE WARNED, Before you chose to book a flight with this app, be aware it WILL NOT give you the actual exchange rate but instead always defaults to the "Rip Off" direct currency conversion with Ryanair :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure